English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 07 May 2009, 04:29   #401
Supamax
Da Digger :)

GOOD NEWS! THE IMAGES WORK!
The Italian System disk boots perfectly in WinUAE!
(excuse the big characters, but I'm so glad!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
No, that won't work for any Macintosh disk. Macs can only read IBM floppies by virtue of an extension called PC Exchange, which works in much the same way as CrossDOS does for Amigas.
Mmmm... I see.

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to that! Maybe there'll be a way to dump the System disk to a Macintosh disk image within the emulator!
But... can't you strip the 16 bytes and obtain a Mac floppy with your real MAC ?
Old 07 May 2009, 04:45   #402
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
GOOD NEWS! THE IMAGES WORK!
The Italian System disk boots perfectly in WinUAE!
(excuse the big characters, but I'm so glad!)
So am I! Well done, mate!

Quote:
But... can't you strip the 16 bytes and obtain a Mac floppy with your real MAC ?
No. The resulting disk image is only useful for emulators because it lacks a resource fork. However, it might be possible to add one by changing the file type and creator. I've never tried that for a disk image file. It might work...

But my PowerMacs wouldn't boot the disk in any case. They won't run System 6 or earlier, or even some early System 7 versions.

prowler
Old 07 May 2009, 04:55   #403
Supamax

Hi prowler,

I uploaded to The Zone two dumps: the System disk (Italian) and MacPlaymate.
They run, but I didn't test the whole disks for errors.

Hey, I didn't know that MacPlaymate was so... so... interesting .

The good news: the method works.
The bad news: the method needs some refining, because the Word and Excel ADFs doesn't run and crash the emulation.

I'll try v2.0, if it truly has the Verify option.

Quote:
No. The resulting disk image is only useful for emulators because it lacks a resource fork. However, it might be possible to add one by changing the file type and creator. I've never tried that for a disk image file. It might work...
Isn't it strange? I mean, a good disk image format should include all the informations of the physical disk. This is true for .adf (Amiga), .img (MS-DOS), etc. (I'm considering only DOS disks, not protected ones of course).

Why is MAC different?

Last edited by Supamax; 09 May 2009 at 04:27. Reason: merged two posts into one
Old 07 May 2009, 04:56   #404
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi prowler,

I uploaded to The Zone two dumps: the System disk (Italian) and MacPlaymate.
They run, but I didn't test the whole disks for errors.
Thanks, mate! I've just downloaded them.

Quote:
Hey, I didn't know that MacPlaymate was so... so... interesting .

Quote:
The good news: the method works.
The bad news: the method needs some refining, because the Word and Excel ADFs doesn't run and crash the emulation.
You didn't think it would be that simple, did you?

Quote:
I'll try v2.0, if it truly has the Verify option.
It truly has! Good luck!
Old 07 May 2009, 05:09   #405
Supamax

Ok, v2.0 works too.

EDIT: Disk Converter v2.0 is not compatible with images created with later versions.
It seemed so, because it accepts those images and writes them back to disks. But the disks are completely wrong.
I tried now (with verify option ON), and the resulting disk is seen as not initialised by A-Max.

Last edited by Supamax; 07 May 2009 at 05:17.
Old 07 May 2009, 05:18   #406
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Isn't it strange? I mean, a good disk image format should include all the informations of the physical disk. This is true for .adf (Amiga), .img (MS-DOS), etc. (I'm considering only DOS disks, not protected ones of course).

Why is MAC different?
Very strange. The Macintosh concept of data and resource forks has a lot to answer for! Mac OS X addresses the problem to some extent, but this does nothing to help Classic Mac users.
Old 07 May 2009, 05:26   #407
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok, v2.0 works too.

EDIT: Disk Converter v2.0 is not compatible with images created with later versions.
It seemed so, because it accepts those images and writes them back to disks. But the disks are completely wrong.
I tried now (with verify option ON), and the resulting disk is seen as not initialised by A-Max.
I am quite astonished by this revelation! What I wrote earlier was based on my experience of using the Emplant Disk Converter on my A1200 to copy from image to both A-Max and Emplant format disks and back to image again. I found that all versions 2.0 to 6.0 were compatible with no exceptions and no errors. This is just as crazy as the Excel and Word disks crashing the A-Max emulation under WinUAE!

What next, I wonder...
Old 07 May 2009, 05:40   #408
Supamax

Quote:
I am quite astonished by this revelation! What I wrote earlier was based on my experience of using the Emplant Disk Converter on my A1200 to copy from image to both A-Max and Emplant format disks and back to image again. I found that all versions 2.0 to 6.0 were compatible with no exceptions and no errors. This is just as crazy as the Excel and Word disks crashing the A-Max emulation under WinUAE!

What next, I wonder...
Perhaps you're right... perhaps on your real A1200 it works, while on WinUAE it's so timing-precise that sometimes it fails and sometimes not?
I really don't know. I even tried activating the NTSC option in WinUAE to see if things get better (and I can't honestly say if it got better or not).

Let me know what you can see in A-Max. You only need the A-Max II floppy and my ADFs. It's a quick try . So you'll give another look at the nice girl .
Unfortunately, A-Max doesn't support sound (as far as I know).

Supamax OUT!
Old 07 May 2009, 14:20   #409
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well at least we making progress, slow progress but its better than nothing
Old 07 May 2009, 18:09   #410
Supamax

Boo Boo wrote to me:

[...] I'm still a little confused the disk images work fine with A-MAX v2 but not A-MAX v2.56 or Shapeshifter? - but Im very happy to have A-MAX v2 working [...]

Mmm... this is strange! A-Max v2.56 less compatible than A-Max v2.0 .
Unless they use different ROMs...
Old 07 May 2009, 18:18   #411
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
A-Max v2.56 less compatible than A-Max v2.0 .
Hi Supamax,

I've been wondering about that too. Have you found any ROM files with different checksums in the header yet?

BTW, could you please upload the A-Max Updates disk for me?

Thanks,

prowler
Old 07 May 2009, 18:30   #412
Supamax

Quote:
BTW, could you please upload the A-Max Updates disk for me?
In the Zone .
You'll find the ROM file in one of the subdirectories.

Did you try the ADF images? Do you need the A-Max II ADF?
Old 07 May 2009, 18:48   #413
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
In the Zone .
You'll find the ROM file in one of the subdirectories.
Thanks, mate! I've just downloaded it.

Quote:
Did you try the ADF images? Do you need the A-Max II ADF?
Not yet. I still have a last couple of checks I wish to make with CrossMAC before I finally remove it from my Amiga. To be honest, I am not at all impressed with CrossMAC and I really want to remove it before I start evaluatring A-Max.

Once I start looking at the A-Max emulator, I've got a feeling that I will find it all very interesting, so it's likely to tie up my Amiga for a long time! I want to be sure that it doesn't conflict with CrossMAC, so that's why I'm keen to remove it. This quest is problematic enough without avoidable conflicts wasting even more of our time!

Thanks for the A-Max II offer, but I still have the image you uploaded previously.

prowler
Old 07 May 2009, 18:56   #414
Supamax

Quote:
Not yet. I still have a last couple of checks I wish to make with CrossMAC before I finally remove it from my Amiga.
I can understand you . One thing at a time if possible. In fact I will go crazy, one of this days...

Quote:
To be honest, I am not at all impressed with CrossMAC and I really want to remove it before I start evaluatring A-Max.
The only thing I didn't like about CrossMAC was its "intrusivity" in the floppy reading routines: once installed, I could not make adf dumps anymore with TransADF.

Apart from that, CrossMAC's read/write routines are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Emplant's!
The more I use Disk Converter, the more I would break all and scream!

Quote:
I want to be sure that it doesn't conflict with CrossMAC, so that's why I'm keen to remove it. This quest is problematic enough without avoidable conflicts wasting even more of our time!
Very wise
In the meantime, I'll try the various versions of the Disk Converter in order to find the best for WinUAE.
Old 07 May 2009, 19:03   #415
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Quote:
Boo Boo wrote to me:

[...] I'm still a little confused the disk images work fine with A-MAX v2 but not A-MAX v2.56 or Shapeshifter? - but Im very happy to have A-MAX v2 working [...]

Mmm... this is strange! A-Max v2.56 less compatible than A-Max v2.0 .
I was mistaken Supamax - The images did work on A-MAX v2.56 with a 68020 setup but not 68000. I dont know why but it did work.
But no luck with Shapeshifter -just comes up with a message about disk not recognized.
Edit: im not worried just reporting what happend
Edit2:***The ADF disk images worked in Shapeshifter if I ran CrossMac first***

As for playmate

Last edited by Retro1234; 07 May 2009 at 21:41.
Old 07 May 2009, 19:08   #416
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I was mistaken Supamax - The images did work on A-MAX v2.56 with a 68020 setup but not 68000. I dont know why but it did work.
OK, this is good news . Probably A-Max v2.56 requires a 68020 to run (I remember having read this, now...).

Quote:
But no luck with Shapeshifter -just comes up with a message about disk not recognized.
I suppose this is a format issue: Shapeshifter will just not load A-Max-formatted disks .
Old 07 May 2009, 19:14   #417
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
The only thing I didn't like about CrossMAC was its "intrusivity" in the floppy reading routines: once installed, I could not make adf dumps anymore with TransADF.
I use TSGUI for making ADF dumps, and I haven't noticed any problems with that since installing CrossMAC. What I did find was that CrossMAC would not mount some disks written with the Emplant Disk Converter.

Quote:
Apart from that, CrossMAC's read/write routines are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Emplant's!
The more I use Disk Converter, the more I would break all and scream!
My experience has been quite the reverse! I would rather Emplant's Disk Converter than CrossMAC any day!

Quote:
In the meantime, I'll try the various versions of the Disk Converter in order to find the best for WinUAE.
That's a good plan. If you can fine-tune the Disk Converter under WinUAE, this will be a valuable tool in your hands, given the experience and knowledge you have with extended ADFs.
Old 07 May 2009, 19:19   #418
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Hi Boo Boo,

The MacPlaymate archive I uploaded contains a .dsk file in addition to the .img file.

Try the .dsk file with ShapeShifter. It should be compatible with most Macintosh emulators.

prowler
Old 07 May 2009, 19:19   #419
Supamax

Another good news:

X-COPY Professional v8.5 can copy A-Max disks.

I used it in WINUAE to copy my ITA System disk (DF0) on an empty adf (DF1). NIBBLE mode must be used, of course, and it's not possible to verify the copy, but X-Copy is very reliable in WinUAE.

I then tried the freshly created System disk (adf), and it boot flawlessly in A-Max II.
So I think I probably used a version of X-Copy, back in the day, when I copied my A-Max floppies.

This is good news for another reason: since Emplant Disk Converter is not reliable under WinUAE, we can create 2 or more ADFs from each 800KB Mac image. Then, if we get errors on some tracks when trying the adf in A-Max II, we can make a "collage" (using X-Copy) of the good tracks, obtaining a single good adf.
Tricky and long, but we should thank you the Disk Converter's authors for this .
Old 07 May 2009, 19:26   #420
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Another good news:

X-COPY Professional v8.5 can copy A-Max disks.

I used it in WINUAE to copy my ITA System disk (DF0 on an empty adf (DF1. NIBBLE mode must be used, of course, and it's not possible to verify the copy, but X-Copy is very reliable in WinUAE.

I then tried the freshly created System disk (adf), and it boot flawlessly in A-Max II.
So I think I probably used a version of X-Copy, back in the day, when I copied my A-Max floppies.
Hey, this is not good news! ...It's GREAT news!!

It's a good thing I can run Disk Converter without a hitch, though, because I wouldn't have a clue how to use X-COPY Professional!