English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 10 October 2011, 09:10   #21
Graham Humphrey

Old 13 October 2011, 08:58   #22
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
The autofire upgrade is a poor joke, my stick shoots 3 times as fast. If i had known this i would have voted for playing with autofire sticks allowed, or for another game.
yup, playing it without the joystick autofire is really not much fun, unless you like pain.
Old 13 October 2011, 10:16   #23
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
yup, playing it without the joystick autofire is really not much fun, unless you like pain.
When you get to the first shop, be sure to buy 2 auto-fire upgrades. I sell me rear-shot if i dont have enough cash! Makes it a tough game with no autofire.
Old 18 October 2011, 22:22   #24
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Going by that config you are using way too much Chip Ram. Configure it to run with 512kb chip & 512kb fast.
Not sure how you configure with just 512KB of fast - minimum is 1MB on the version of WinUAE I have!

I did get it working with an earlier ROM and 1MB of RAM. So thanks to yourself and Graham for the pointers

I had a few hours play today. It is quite hectic at times, but with the right weaponry it's not too bad.

Score: 70,330

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xenon2_LW_70330.png
Views:	189
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	29632  
Old 20 October 2011, 00:25   #25
capehorn

Just to be clear, if we had all come to a concensus that we wanted autofire allowed for this game during voting, would that rule have been waived?
Old 20 October 2011, 06:47   #26
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Just to be clear, if we had all come to a concensus that we wanted autofire allowed for this game during voting, would that rule have been waived?
I tried to get the rule changed just after the round started, but Graham is pretty Hard-line so no luck
Old 20 October 2011, 08:55   #27
humble worm

Quote:
Graham is pretty Hard-line
It is known
The autofire issue just shouldn't have been pointed at before the round started
Old 20 October 2011, 09:04   #28
Graham Humphrey

Hmm, looks like mihcael has blown my cover... I expect a baying mob complete with burning torches and pitchforks standing outside my door later on

Taken from the rules thread (I trust you will all admire the incorrect spelling of 'occasionally'):

Quote:
Occaisionally restrictions will be placed on specific games, such as the banning of autofire if it is a power-up within the game.
This was discussed, admittedly some time ago, as the use of autofire was an issue back in the compo's earlier days, and we did agree that autofire was okay on the condition that it wasn't a power-up or something like that. The only two games to ever have been affected thus far are this and Deluxe Galaga.

Of course, loads of players have come and gone in the meantime so a lot of people would have been completely unaware of that discussion... but it's always been in the rules so there's a lesson there somewhere
Old 20 October 2011, 09:31   #29
mihcael
Zone Friend

"Fight the Power"
Old 20 October 2011, 17:32   #30
capehorn

So Graham, if we had have come to a consensus that autofire should be allowed before the round started, would it have been allowed?

Because to be honest that rule has taken a fun game and turned it into an absolute chore, which is very bad for the competition. I see you have been taking suggestions for changes to the competition on the chat thread, and I think this should be one of them.

I accept that once a round has started it is very difficult to change the rules mid-round, but if it had been agreed beforehand surely that would have been ok? Reading this thread, it seems that just about everyone wanted to use autofire.
Old 20 October 2011, 18:57   #31
john4p
Competition Moderator

+1
Old 20 October 2011, 21:46   #32
Graham Humphrey

I'm only going by what was agreed three years ago. Nobody contested that judgement when it was made.

Also, I only played this game a couple of days before the round was due to start (bear in mind that I don't have an autofire switch on my joystick either so I'm immune to such things). Had I not bothered to playing up the shop section (by which point I pretty much wanted to kill myself as I was so bored already) I would never have known there was an autofire power-up until the round started, by which time it would have been too late and it would never have been an issue. But I remembered 'autofire power-up = no joystick autofire allowed' so I instantly made what I thought was a pretty uncontroversial decision and that was that.

If people had said prior to the round that they'd find it a problem then I would have looked at it. Certainly if it was at the point where almost everyone said it had a detrimental effect on the enjoyment of the game then I'd have given it extremely serious consideration and in this instance in hindsight I'd probably have relented. But I'm not going to automatically disregard the 'autofire power-up' rule - e.g. something like Deluxe Galaga it is a totally fair and workable rule (IMO). And in any event it's probably a very small list of games that are affected by this at all; if somebody were to name me some titles which are I'll take a look sometime (although not in this thread preferably as it's going off-topic enough as it is. I'm more than happy to discuss it all in the Discussion thread).
Old 20 October 2011, 23:40   #33
Lonewolf10

For me, I find I can manually fire faster than the autofire. Slightly better score. Just need to work out how to get past the wormy things around halfway through level 2.

Score: 80,730

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xenon2_LW_80730.png
Views:	180
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	29647  
Old 22 October 2011, 08:50   #34
Graham Humphrey

This is also on its final day (see the Yo! Joe! thread for other details).
Old 22 October 2011, 09:26   #35
frikilokooo

My crap score for a crap game.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:34   #36
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
a crap game.
I wonder how can anybody call it overrated when 90% opionions are like the one above

and why the hell its being played in the compo

you got it wrong, guys. it is just badly designed, not crap (like superfrog, for example)

Last edited by humble worm; 22 October 2011 at 10:50.
Old 22 October 2011, 13:59   #37
capehorn

This competition has made me wonder whether the 'it's a good game' vs 'it's crap' argument comes purely from those with and without autofire joysticks. That would make a lot of sense to me.
Old 22 October 2011, 15:11   #38
humble worm

Quote:
This competition has made me wonder whether the 'it's a good game' vs 'it's crap' argument comes purely from those with and without autofire joysticks. That would make a lot of sense to me.
Old 22 October 2011, 19:10   #39
Lonewolf10

Quote:
I agree.

When I came up against the first boss in Yo! Joe (the other game in this round) I hated the game as I had no idea how to beat him. That was until I realised that you keep all the weapons you pick up until the next level, and learnt how to select the nun-chuks

With regarding Xenon 2 and scrolling shoot'em ups, I think it is a fairly easy game. I'm sure most of you would agree if you have played modern equivalents such as Ikaruga (Arcade, Gamecube and Dreamcast), Border Down (Arcade & Dreamcast) and Psyvariar 2 (Arcade & Dreamcast) which throw an awful lot more at you at once.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 23 October 2011, 00:32   #40
capehorn

111,660 and a sore finger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xenon II - Megablast (1989)(ImageWorks)[cr VF]_002.png
Views:	175
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	29662