English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 27 February 2009, 23:34   #121
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Supamax,

I've uploaded another set of archives. This time the Fonts drawer is included and a summary of changes for each new release of the Emplant software.

Disk Converter 2.0 includes no Fonts drawer, because the Emplant v2.1 software does not contain one. Incidentally Disk Converter 2.0 will work under Workbench 1.3, as explained in the readme file.

I had a look at your Disk Converter ADFs on WinUAE whilst I was decompressing the Emplant archives and I wonder whether emplant.library is not actually needed for the Disk Converter program. Your original Disk Converter 6.0 ADF included this library, but it is missing from the fixed (PAL) version. It is again included on the Disk Converter II 7.0 ADF.

I hope to try them on my A1200 tomorrow, along with the versions I've uploaded today under Workbench 3.1.

Unfortunately, Jim Drew's proprietary decompressor program does not preserve the time and date stamps of the original, compressed files. I shall fix this later when I have a moment.

prowler
Old 01 March 2009, 00:24   #122
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Supamax,

I've uploaded another set of archives. This time the Fonts drawer is included and a summary of changes for each new release of the Emplant software.
Hi prowler!
Great . I'm going to download them all again.

Quote:
I had a look at your Disk Converter ADFs on WinUAE whilst I was decompressing the Emplant archives and I wonder whether emplant.library is not actually needed for the Disk Converter program. Your original Disk Converter 6.0 ADF included this library, but it is missing from the fixed (PAL) version. It is again included on the Disk Converter II 7.0 ADF.
Yes, I did that for a reason. I found that the emplant.library was not needed by Disk Converter 6.0. But It was needed by Disk Converter II 7.0.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Jim Drew's proprietary decompressor program does not preserve the time and date stamps of the original, compressed files. I shall fix this later when I have a moment.
Hey, will you seriously be bothering about it?
*sigh*, these retro-freaks are... are... wait a minute, I'm one of them!
Old 01 March 2009, 00:40   #123
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Hi prowler!
Great . I'm going to download them all again.
With any luck, they should be complete now!

Quote:
I found that the emplant.library was not needed by Disk Converter 6.0. But It was needed by Disk Converter II 7.0.
Thanks for that. It'll help when I install these to my A1200 hard disk under Workbench 3.1.

Quote:
Hey, will you seriously be bothering about it?
*sigh*, these retro-freaks are... are... wait a minute, I'm one of them!
Welcome to the crazy world of Retro-mania!

prowler
Old 01 March 2009, 17:03   #124
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Supamax,

I think the way that Jim Drew's Emplant Disk Converter works can be summed up as follows:

It is capable of reading/writing 800kB floppy disks in the Emplant, A-Max and Macintosh formats, due to the knowledge it has of how these disks are formatted.

Disk reads are accomplished fairly quickly, so that the process of creating disk images from floppy disks is good and fast, as you have seen following your testing on an Amiga 600HD machine.

The disk image format is the same (819,216 bytes), whatever the format of the source disk. As you have said, the disk image includes a proprietary 16-byte header containing a copyright string, but is otherwise the same as a standard (819,200 bytes) Macintosh Disk Copy 6.x image. Although you have established that the Emplant Disk Converter will not recognize a disk image without the header, I shall check whether disk images with the header are recognized by Macintosh Disk Copy 4.2 or 6.x on a real Macintosh.

Disk writing is very slow and prone to errors because the floppy disk is being formatted on the fly, and none of the disk formats is natively supported on the Amiga. Let's hope that this was improved for the later versions of the Disk Converter (and we do have the very last version!).

All that's left to do now is some testing.

prowler

[Edit] PS. When I have created Macintosh, A-Max and Emplant formatted disks on my A1200 from your Italian disk dumps, I shall see whether they can be imaged with the registered version of Disk2FDI. I know that it works with 800kB Macintosh formatted disks. but I am interested in finding out what it will make of the other formats.

Last edited by prowler; 01 March 2009 at 18:23.
Old 02 March 2009, 03:41   #125
Supamax

Quote:
Disk writing is very slow and prone to errors because the floppy disk is being formatted on the fly, and none of the disk formats is natively supported on the Amiga. Let's hope that this was improved for the later versions of the Disk Converter (and we do have the very last version!).

All that's left to do now is some testing.
Hi prowler,

when you'll try more "real" writings, I warmly suggest you to use HD floppies, as I wrote before. I found them much less prone to write errors, in this case (with this specific utility, Disk Converter).

However, CrossMac has no write errors at all when writing A-Max disks. And it does all on the fly, too. So I suppose it has way better routines/libraries.
And it has the same speed when reading and writing!

EDIT: of course, you can also use HD floppies only once (if you don't want to keep HD floppies for your Amiga), for the "mastering" procedure. You can then copy them to DD floppies (for example using CrossMac, or within A-Max) and reutilize them.

Last edited by Supamax; 02 March 2009 at 04:03.
Old 02 March 2009, 04:05   #126
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi prowler,

when you'll try more "real" writings, I warmly suggest you to use HD floppies, as I wrote before. I found them much less prone to write errors, in this case (with this specific utility, Disk Converter).

However, CrossMac has no write errors at all when writing A-Max disks. And it does all on the fly, too. So I suppose it has way better routines/libraries.
And it has the same speed when reading and writing!
Hi Supamax,

I am still hopeful that the errors whern writing disks are largely eliminated for the later versions of the Disk Converter.

I have two questions for you:

(1) Which is the latest version of the Disk Converter you have been able to test on your Amiga 600HD?

(2) Which disk format (Macintosh, A-Max or Emplant), if any is the most prone to write errors?

I'm going to test this utility under Workbench 3.1 on my Amiga 1200HD tomorrow, and answers to these questions, if you can provide them, would help me a great deal.

Thanks,

prowler
Old 02 March 2009, 17:46   #127
Supamax

Quote:
I am still hopeful that the errors whern writing disks are largely eliminated for the later versions of the Disk Converter.
I hope it, too, but I fear I would not be able to run them on A500/600

Quote:
(1) Which is the latest version of the Disk Converter you have been able to test on your Amiga 600HD?
I tried only two versions (didn't try yet your uploads, sorry): v6.0 (which works on my A600) and II/v7.0 (which doesn't work on my A600, because it needs more RAM).

Quote:
(2) Which disk format (Macintosh, A-Max or Emplant), if any is the most prone to write errors?
I didn't try the Macintosh format (I suppose I would need a real Mac floppy connected to the real Emplant/A-Max hardware), but I did try A-Max and Emplant custom formats. They are equally prone to errors , as far as I could see (I wrote 3-4 floppies).
The big problem is that you cannot decide to write from track xx to track yy . You have to write the whole image to disk, and if you get an error you have to retry the whole disk, hoping not to get any errors!
Bah! Perhaps new versions of Disk Converter are better?
Old 02 March 2009, 17:56   #128
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I didn't try the Macintosh format (I suppose I would need a real Mac floppy connected to the real Emplant/A-Max hardware), but I did try A-Max and Emplant custom formats. They are equally prone to errors , as far as I could see (I wrote 3-4 floppies).
Hi Supamax,

Are you certain that the Macintosh format option requires a real Mac floppy drive connected through emulation hardware? This should come as no surprise, I suppose, but I had hoped to get my Amiga writing Macintosh floppies!

BTW, I have done no testing yet. I just logged in to see if you had seen my questions. I posted them just after you logged off last night.

prowler
Old 02 March 2009, 18:07   #129
Supamax

Quote:
Are you certain that the Macintosh format option requires a real Mac floppy drive connected through emulation hardware? This should come as no surprise, I suppose, but I had hoped to get my Amiga writing Macintosh floppies!
AFAIK, it can write/read HD MAC floppies, but not 400/800KB variable-speed floppies...
Old 02 March 2009, 18:15   #130
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
AFAIK, it can write/read HD MAC floppies, but not 400/800KB variable-speed floppies...
That sounds about right. Thanks for clearing that up, mate.

I'm going off to do the testing now.

prowler
Old 02 March 2009, 20:46   #131
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ok I`m back, after the virus debarkle, Ive been trying to keep up with the thread but not succeded to well so can you tell me how I go about makeing images of my amax floppys plz.

just a couple of steps would do and i think I have the emplat disks that prowler did with Disk Converter on but i need to check

time is a bit tight at the moment so if i don`t replay for a few days its cause I`m busy getting ready for byte-back but i could do with some1 pointing me in the right direction
Old 03 March 2009, 00:02   #132
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
ok I`m back, after the virus debarkle, Ive been trying to keep up with the thread but not succeded to well so can you tell me how I go about makeing images of my amax floppys plz.

just a couple of steps would do and i think I have the emplat disks that prowler did with Disk Converter on but i need to check
Hi cosmic,

What model Amiga and amount of RAM are you using to image the A-Max disks? I'll then give you the info you need.

prowler
Old 03 March 2009, 00:47   #133
Supamax

Quote:
Hi cosmic,

What model Amiga and amount of RAM are you using to image the A-Max disks? I'll then give you the info you need.

prowler
Hi Peter,

I suppose that cosmicfrog could use v6.0 (which I successfully used on my A600), even if it has an A1200.
Or better: if it has an A1200 he could make dumps with v6.0 and 7.0, so we can know if the image format has changed... (but I think it didn't).
I could do it also, but I should do it under emulation because I don't have an A1200

Massimo
Old 03 March 2009, 01:11   #134
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi Peter,

I suppose that cosmicfrog could use v6.0 (which I successfully used on my A600), even if it has an A1200.
Or better: if it has an A1200 he could make dumps with v6.0 and 7.0, so we can know if the image format has changed... (but I think it didn't).
I could do it also, but I should do it under emulation because I don't have an A1200

Massimo
Hi Supamax/Cosmic,

This is a good suggestion based on the definite knowledge we have so far about the Emplant Disk Converter utility.

I have now copied all the files I require to do an exhaustive test of the Disk Converter versions we have to my accelerated A1200. I was hoping to have something better to report by tonight, but I am still using Amiga Explorer to transfer files from my PC to the Amiga and it's so slow that I didn't have any time for testing before the TV was in use!

I suspect that the later versions of this utility will feature more reliable disk writing, and I will have confirmation of this when I complete my testing tomorrow.

If this assumption is correct, and you have an A1200 or better, Cosmic, then the very latest version would be the best one to use. As you're in no hurry, if you can wait until tomorrow night, then I'll have all the information you will need.

Then we'll look forward to your A-Max disk image uploads!

prowler
Old 03 March 2009, 01:15   #135
Supamax

Quote:
Then we'll look forward to your A-Max disk image uploads!

Supamax
Old 03 March 2009, 12:01   #136
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

yay I`m in no hurray hehehe I`m out now till thursday/friday

I have an A1200 8MB Fast 3.0Kickstart and WB 3.1

I just pull the HD out when I want to swap files with the PC, needles to say the top cover is never attached
Old 03 March 2009, 18:13   #137
Supamax

Quote:
I just pull the HD out when I want to swap files with the PC, needles to say the top cover is never attached
Oh... this is not comfortable at all .
You could do as I do: an internal CF/IDE, plus an external CF/PCMCIA (FAT-formatted). This way I can swap files in no time
Old 03 March 2009, 19:38   #138
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

1 day I might have just a set up, I have only 1 256Meg CF card at moment, adapter only came the other week

I thinking of getting the pcmcia SD adapter from amigakit

anyhow I have a reputation of running computers without a case to uphold
Old 04 March 2009, 00:08   #139
Supamax

Quote:
anyhow I have a reputation of running computers without a case to uphold

However, you could use the PCMCIA adapter and leave your case open

BTW, on eBay you can find the same adapter at much cheaper prices:
http://cgi.ebay.it/5-in-1-PCMCIA-Ada...em230324150042
Old 04 March 2009, 01:52   #140
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Supamax/Cosmic,

This evening I began testing the Emplant Disk Converter on my Amiga 1200HD with 030/40MHz acceleration and FPU under Workbench 3.1.

I decided to start with the latest version 7.2, hoping for the best chance of a solution to the poor disk writing performance of version 6.0 already reported by Supamax. However, I soon found that this was not possible, because the version 6.0 disk image files provided by Supamax are not compatible with version 7.2 of The Disk Converter. Any attempt to read the invalid file format results in an error condition which can only be cleared by rebooting the machine!

So, I deleted the version 7.2 program and libraries and copied the version 6.0 program and libraries in their place. The SCAIV font files can be retained, as they are identical to those included with previous versions of the Disk Converter.

Each time I changed one version of the utility for another, it was necessary to reboot the machine once more, presumably to clear file associations, before the new version would run correctly.

I chose 6.0, because Supamax's A-Max disks were dumped with this version, and in order to carry out any testing at all I needed a set of disks of my own.

However, this is where my experience of the Emplant Disk Converter differs from what has already been reported. From each of the four image files provided by Supamax, I created both an A-Max and an Emplant formatted disk - a set of eight disks. I used a double density disk each time and experienced no write errors. The disks are formatted with 1600 sectors of 512 bytes. The disks can be read back at about twice the speed of writing, again with no errors. Bizarrely, the A-Max formatted disks are read back slightly faster and more smoothly than the Emplant disks! My Amiga's internal floppy drive is a Chinon FZ-354 unit.

When I attempted to use high density disks, they were written to without errors, but could not be read back again. I tried this with two HD disks, one A-Max and one Emplant formatted, both with the HD sense holes covered and uncovered during both writing and reading, but the disks just couldn't be read back again in any case.

The disk image size of 819216 corresponds to the default Disk Converter configuration of AmigaDOS file type with no compression. Avaialable options are AmigaDOS, ADC, DiskDup+ or DART image file type with None, Poor, Good or Best compression type.

Versions 4.0 and 4.2 of the Emplant Disk Converter are so similar to version 6.0 that they appear to be almost identical. Version 2.0, however, has no configuration menu and no MAC disk icons for source and target disks. It does, however have an option to write Mac formatted disks, which is only possible using a real Macintosh floppy drive connected to the Emplant hardware. So it must, if it exists, be mapped as one of the standard drives DF0-DF3 in the early versions of the Emplant Macintosh emulator. Version 2.0 also has a larger disk image size of 838416 bytes, but these images are compatible with all versions up to 6.0 of the Disk Converter. Only version 2.0 reads both A-Max and Emplant formatted disks equally smoothly and has a 'verify' option, which I did not test.

On The basis of the testing I have done so far, I would recommend version 2.0 of the utility for performance, and any of the other three versions for compatibility provided though image type and compression options, again, which I did not test.

That's enough for one session. Tomorrow, I'll test the 7.x versions.

prowler