English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 12 July 2023, 15:09   #101
sampedenawa

I don't mean to be opinionated, but Smally Mouse hw is under (CC BY-SA 4.0) and its sw is under GNU v3.

It's clearly stated on SmallyMouse's github repository, so I suppose is Simon's will
Old 12 July 2023, 15:13   #102
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Nice, sorry to see you go, mabbe you should talk to Simon

I will paste this for you...
This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the license. Disclaimer.
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Wow, this time your small brain got to 6 (short) lines! It's a huge step from the 0.5 lines it could do before! Now relax and when you feel ready, read again that page, starting from the next line. If you manage to read another ten (short) lines, you're done!

Goodbye.
Old 12 July 2023, 15:21   #103
sampedenawa

Er..... @kipper: may I suggest you to grasp Sukko's invitation above, and read the whole full license terms ?
They say distantly different things from your (forgive me) naive interpretation..

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Old 12 July 2023, 15:22   #104
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
Wow, this time your small brain got to 6 (short) lines! It's a huge step from the 0.5 lines it could do before! Now relax and when you feel ready, read again that page, starting from the next line. If you manage to read another ten (short) lines, you're done!

Goodbye.
is that all you got from that, so did you get permission to do the mainboard or does that fall under a different special licence
Old 12 July 2023, 15:33   #105
Lemaru

Quote:
is that all you got from that, so did you get permission to do the mainboard or does that fall under a different special licence

As I said before. It's legal to reverse engineer something and create your own version from scratch

You taking someone else's work, adding stuff to it, and not adhering to the developers licence, is not.
Old 12 July 2023, 15:36   #106
eXeler0

Ok we are all civilized, lets settle this like grown men… In a cagefight!
How about a warm up event before Musk and Zuckerberg enter the cage?
Old 12 July 2023, 15:39   #107
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

OMFG it's the OS3.9 all over again!
Old 12 July 2023, 15:42   #108
kipper2k

so using my modified schematic is not allowed ?, i am allowed to create a schematic... I am NOT providing a programmed chip, it would be up to the end user. I even fixed his schematic so the RMB worked on all A1200s. The end user could even create his own code the options are there

Last edited by kipper2k; 12 July 2023 at 15:59.
Old 12 July 2023, 15:59   #109
sampedenawa

Quote:
so using my modified schematic is not allowed ?, i am allowed to create a schematic... I am NOT providing a programmed chip, it would be up to the end user. I even fixed his schematic so the RMB worked on all A1200s

You are always allowed according, and within respect to the limits, of the original creator's will, formalized into the licensing model he chose.

What's not clear in that ?
Old 12 July 2023, 16:04   #110
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampedenawa View Post
You are always allowed according, and within respect to the limits, of the original creator's will, formalized into the licensing model he chose.

What's not clear in that ?

So are you saying i cannot create a circuit that does not do anything unless an end user solders the MPU and programs it. ?
Old 12 July 2023, 16:16   #111
sampedenawa

Quote:
So are you saying i cannot create a circuit that does not do anything unless an end user solders the MPU and programs it. ?

Let put thing in order:

- if you create a circuit from scratch, or be reverse-engineer (where allowed) an existing one, you are the "original" creator of that circuit, and you can do whatever you want with it.

- If you create a circuit by deriving it from someone else's design (deriving could mean, e.g., taking some parts, fixing some other parts, etc) then you MUST follow his wills and his licensing model. If the license states you have to apply to your "new" design the same license which applied to the original design, you MUST do it. If the license says you have to disclose full sources, because the original design did, you have to follow that rule.

Isn't it plain and simple ?
Old 12 July 2023, 16:18   #112
kipper2k

Quote:
Let put thing in order:

- if you create a circuit from scratch, or be reverse-engineer (where allowed) an existing one, you are the "original" creator of that circuit, and you can do whatever you want with it.

- If you create a circuit by deriving it from someone else's design (deriving could mean, e.g., taking some parts, fixing some other parts, etc) then you MUST follow his wills and his licensing model. If the license states you have to apply to your "new" design the same license which applied to the original design, you MUST do it. If the license says you have to disclose full sources, because the original design did, you have to follow that rule.

k, good explanation, i will await his response. to me it is no biggie, i am just trying to give people something i know they can use
Old 12 July 2023, 16:33   #113
kipper2k

Quote:
Let put thing in order:

so if i am unable to continue with Smally are you still willing to allow free usage of your usb mouse option, i would just want the schematic,, same as with smally i would not supply the chip, if people wanted to use it then they can talk to you about the programminG ?
Old 12 July 2023, 16:53   #114
sampedenawa

Quote:
so if i am unable to continue with Smally are you still willing to allow free usage of your usb mouse option, i would just want the schematic,, same as with smally i would not supply the chip, if people wanted to use it then they can talk to you about the programminG ?

As far as my circuit is concerned, there is no problem, to its schematic I am applying the license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) so you only have to follow the following rules:

• Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
  • NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
  • ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
BUT, of course, if you include my design in other's (e.g. Sukko's board), you must follow THEIR rules also.
Old 12 July 2023, 16:57   #115
kipper2k

Quote:
As far as my circuit is concerned, there is no problem, to its schematic I am applying the license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) so you only have to follow the following rules:

• Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
  • NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
  • ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
BUT, of course, if you include my design in other's (e.g. Sukko's board), you must follow THEIR rules also.
All good, but, if i release gerbers i cannot control other people who may decide to make a buck or 3
Old 12 July 2023, 17:07   #116
Chucky

imho easy:

want to base your work on someone eleses project: follow that perons license/wishes..
if not:

do one yourself and make your own "rules"..

it is not really hard.
Old 12 July 2023, 17:12   #117
sampedenawa

Quote:
All good, but, if i release gerbers i cannot control other people who may decide to make a buck or 3

Watch out: "sources" != "gerbers" only.
Sources is full schematics as well for example.

You don't have to care against what other people do, if they don't respect the license, it is not your issue.

But, again, please do understand me fully (and forgive me not being a native English speaker): if you include my design in your projects, according to my license above, you have to distribute your ENTIRE derived work according to the SAME license. (So, e.g. the full schematic as well).

For the fw is another matter: as I wrote earlier some posts ago, I don't have any issue in releasing a free dedicated fw which can itlself be distributed even by you, with a different licensing term, to be agreed.
Old 12 July 2023, 17:13   #118
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
imho easy:

want to base your work on someone eleses project: follow that perons license/wishes..
if not:

do one yourself and make your own "rules"..

it is not really hard.
I have my own mobo design to fall back on and if have to drop somethin to remove license threat i will
Old 12 July 2023, 17:29   #119
Chucky

Quote:
I have my own mobo design to fall back on and if have to drop somethin to remove license threat i will

that is in the "do one yourself and make your own "rules"." part
Old 13 July 2023, 14:03   #120
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
that is in the "do one yourself and make your own "rules"." part
Yah, I just added a "Free to use Wifi Joystick controller, gotta love it