English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 July 2017, 23:58   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

CDTV expandability

Ive got a CDTV, cant for the life of me remember where I got it, but its never worked, however that might well change come the next South West Amiga meet at the end of September.

This is ideal, because having the CDTV alongisde the PS3 and PS4 is just very cool.

Im not going to fart around with the CD drive, im hoping there is a cheap solution to fitting some sort of memcard hard drive like on more modern Amigas.

So, what cheap "hard drive" solutions exist for CDTV?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 July 2017, 00:03   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

I cant remember exactly, but quite recently there was a guy in Amibay selling scsi cdtv interfaces that were selfmade. You should look over there.
Old 24 July 2017, 01:55   #3
utri007
mä vaan

I have bought 4mb ram expansion for CDTV's diagnosticslot. I bought it guy from amibay. 60€? or something like that. Just few days ago I saw him still selling them on ebay.

Hard drive solution is MKL's ide. It would require Kickstart 3.1 and upgraded CDTV roms to work. I have also a CDTV SCSI card but it has it own problems.

I have also bought a adapter to use atari connector mouses and joysticks.

Because people like to see pictures here is a one for mobo with IDE, upgraded roms, kickstart and Ram.

Keyboard is from A2000 wich is painted to black. Cable is standard PS2 cable one pin removed.

Everything works ofcourse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cdtv__ide_ks_ram.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	53857   Click image for larger version

Name:	cdtv_keyboard.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	53858  
Old 24 July 2017, 02:08   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I have bought 4mb ram expansion for CDTV's diagnosticslot. I bought it guy from amibay. 60€? or something like that. Just few days ago I saw him still selling them on ebay.

Hard drive solution is MKL's ide. It would require Kickstart 3.1 and upgraded CDTV roms to work. I have also a CDTV SCSI card but it has it own problems.

I have also bought a adapter to use atari connector mouses and joysticks.

Because people like to see pictures here is a one for mobo with IDE, upgraded roms, kickstart and Ram.

Keyboard is from A2000 wich is painted to black. Cable is standard PS2 cable one pin removed.

Everything works ofcourse
Your Sandisk 4gb system, thats what i'm talking about.

Was that expensive?
Old 24 July 2017, 08:10   #5
utri007
mä vaan

It was bought from this thread http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...600-CF-adapter

Price was 70€. But you would need a kickstart 3.1 and upgrade for CDTV roms. They cost extra or if you have correct equipments you can do them yourself.
Old 24 July 2017, 08:50   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The cheapest solution is an IDE68K. If you get the one from Kipper2k it also includes 8MB RAM but you need a special build for auto config to work on CDTV. Minimig coauthor Jaqube told Kipper2k how to fix auto config on CDTV. You can use addmem though on normal version

You can then make your own CDTV megaROM. Kickstart 1.3 + IDE & KS3.1 & extended CDTV ROM. Toni Willen of WinUAE fame pioneered the technique using a single 27C800 EPROM. I'll find his post

Last edited by alexh; 24 July 2017 at 08:56.
Old 24 July 2017, 09:04   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

I found this on ebay. BTW, it is not mine or anyone I know of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Am...sAAOSwbsBXp0WI
Old 24 July 2017, 09:46   #8
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The cheapest solution is an IDE68K. If you get the one from Kipper2k it also includes 8MB RAM but you need a special build for auto config to work on CDTV. Minimig coauthor Jaqube told Kipper2k how to fix auto config on CDTV. You can use addmem though on normal version

You can then make your own CDTV megaROM. Kickstart 1.3 + IDE & KS3.1 & extended CDTV ROM. Toni Willen of WinUAE fame pioneered the technique using a single 27C800 EPROM. I'll find his post
'

Kipper2k's IDE + ram has a problem with CDTV. Installing it would require two sets adapters, to get it high enough or replacing some mobo components with smaller parts and bending some connectors. I had it and gave it away. Couldn't get it work reliable.
Old 24 July 2017, 14:17   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I found this on ebay. BTW, it is not mine or anyone I know of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Am...sAAOSwbsBXp0WI
Scsi board is great addition. It is a pain to get 50pin scsi drives, however we now have the scsi 2 sd adapter. Which works great, so you can setup lots of devices on sd card.
Old 24 July 2017, 14:49   #10
utri007
mä vaan

SCSI is OK. It's problem is 1gb size limit. Wich is possible to bypass with old version of SFS filesystem. It supports SCSI intrupts and works with bigger size hard drives. (if I remember correctly)
Old 24 July 2017, 15:05   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
SCSI is OK. It's problem is 1gb size limit. Wich is possible to bypass with old version of SFS filesystem. It supports SCSI intrupts and works with bigger size hard drives. (if I remember correctly)
SFS used to work with a mechanism called "SCSI DIRECT" which did what you say but AFAIK the current (last?) maintainer of SFS (v1.279) took it out so you have to use an earlier version (v1.84).

Or use PFS3 AIO which actually still has support (kinda)

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio
Old 24 July 2017, 18:46   #12
Akira

There are some IDE68K solutions you can get.
I recommend the ones sold by this fella:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...600-CF-adapter
Old 24 July 2017, 19:47   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I recommend CDTV SCSI because it is "native" expansion and only one that works with all original/unpatched CDTV KS/extended ROM versions. (If it matters in your use case)
Old 24 July 2017, 20:46   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You could get the CDTV SCSI in kit form in 2015 for £12 (way less than £75 being charged for the assembled version). Check Amibay and see if anyone still sells them.

I may have two un-assembled kits (CDTV + A570) and seeing as it is you and I'm probably never going to assemble them I'd consider selling you one. Send me a PM and I'll look for them.
Old 30 August 2017, 21:40   #15
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Scsi board is great addition. It is a pain to get 50pin scsi drives, however we now have the scsi 2 sd adapter. Which works great, so you can setup lots of devices on sd card.
Hi all

I just bought a SCSI II to Micro SD Card Adapter from AmigaKit in order to use it in my CDTV.

Waiting to receive it, I'm preparing a 4GB microSD card under WinUAE: I formatted it in four partitions, <1 GB each, and in first bootable partition I have installed ClassicWB 68k; on the other partitions I have installed whadload games and demos.

All working fine under WinUAE, but will the microSD work as expected once put in the Micro SD Card Adapter connected to SCSC2CDTV card?

Do you have any suggestion?
Old 30 August 2017, 22:11   #16
supaduper

well I use a 4gb scsi to IDE on my CDTV its 68k sys too, so I cant see you having a problem ,I obviously used PFS3-aio, the best IMHO
Old 30 August 2017, 22:35   #17
Omolungo

I currently have FFS installed in all my partitions

If I install PFS3-aio I had to done all the job again (installation of system and whdload gamee and demo)?
Old 30 August 2017, 22:50   #18
supaduper

Hmmm you might hit the 1gb limit using FFS thats why its best to use PFS3-aio ,meaning you wont see beyond the 1gb with FFS

But you could prepare another card using PFS-aio and image that with winimage, then use Winuae and Dopus to copy the sd card to the image, then use winimage to flash it back to the card, its what I have done many times

Last edited by supaduper; 30 August 2017 at 22:58.
Old 30 August 2017, 23:00   #19
Omolungo

Also if there are 4 different partitions (all of them < 1GB of size)?
Old 30 August 2017, 23:17   #20
supaduper

Yes because that scsi has a 1gb limit so it will only see the first 1gb and not the other three..I know as I made the same mistake in the early days, the good thing when you start using PFS3 you can set partitions up in minutes its not hard
AdSense AdSense