English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 July 2003, 00:00   #1
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Looking for Miggy emu to run under debian on A1

Does anyone know of a good amiga emulator that will run on a PPC based debian system (my A1-XE G4 to be exact)?

The UAE (0.8.22) version that Eyetech supply is incredibaly pitiful, I would like to 'take it out the back and shoot it'

I need something to use during the long wait for OS4
Old 09 July 2003, 01:53   #2
Amiga1992

Hmm, if to judge by MaxUAE, the PPC versions are utter SHITE. I hate it because I really wanted to make my iBook into a portable Amiga computer :/
Old 09 July 2003, 11:26   #3
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Er... Eyetech? Why don't you just get the source of UAE from the official site and compile it (in case it's not the same)? I don't see anything 'pitiful' about this version. It's just (as Jambo put it once) you shouldn't confuse lack of GUI with lack of features.
Old 09 July 2003, 16:17   #4
Severin

erm, Eyetech, er... they just bunged the latest version on the A1 boot CD...

it's not lack of gui that bothers me, it's buggy or missing features, and the fact it's as stable as an elephant with one leg in a hurricane...

eg.

No 16 / 24 bit modes, only a 32 bit mode were everything is yellow

With P96 installed for a reasonable screen size/speed the timing is totally naffed (even double clicking an icon with the longest delay possible set in prefs is very difficult, I have the delay set to .4s on my 4000 and never miss)

It locks up with installer scripts...

All the p*ssing about to access a CD

Constantly telling me a CD is write protected and never displaying anything... I tried editing the config to set it to read only, then uae said it was an invalid entry

I gave up using it at that point
Old 09 July 2003, 16:27   #5
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
It's just (as Jambo put it once) you shouldn't confuse lack of GUI with lack of features.
UAE is an incredible way behind WinUAE - so I would say it also has a huge lack of features . The emulation is also really rather pitiful in comparison to the latest WinUAE.

Sad but true.

In fact, it is so far behind that IMO the only sensible way to fix it is to start with the WinUAE source and port it back to a gcc environment.
Old 09 July 2003, 19:00   #6
mtb

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
erm, Eyetech, er... they just bunged the latest version on the A1 boot CD...

it's not lack of gui that bothers me, it's buggy or missing features, and the fact it's as stable as an elephant with one leg in a hurricane...

eg.

With P96 installed for a reasonable screen size/speed the timing is totally naffed (even double clicking an icon with the longest delay possible set in prefs is very difficult, I have the delay set to .4s on my 4000 and never miss)

Constantly telling me a CD is write protected and never displaying anything... I tried editing the config to set it to read only, then uae said it was an invalid entry

I use debian ( woody ) too with an x86.

Never tried uae for apps, but at least for games isn't that bad ( a part from the never centered images, and few games that won't work, and no ipf - opengl support ).

You should compile the source code with --enable-dga to obtain fullscreen support, and use it with suid ( if you have found a better way, let me know ).

Here is my ecs no overscan config.
Attached Files
File Type: zip uae-ecs-nooverscan.zip (738 Bytes, 199 views)
Old 09 July 2003, 19:05   #7
mtb

Quote:
it's buggy or missing features, and the fact it's as stable as an elephant with one leg in a hurricane...
With or without JIT?

Quote:
eg.

Maybe you should try change the umask for the cdrom in /etc/fstab ( try a bit, i really don't know much about this ).
Old 09 July 2003, 22:31   #8
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by mtb
With or without JIT?

Maybe you should try change the umask for the cdrom in /etc/fstab ( try a bit, i really don't know much about this ).
JIT? it's way to old for anything like that

I'm not sure about editing fstab, I've only got the bugger relatively stable (linux not uae) and almost working, got soundcard going today, still got the modem to do though
Old 09 July 2003, 22:38   #9
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
UAE is an incredible way behind WinUAE - so I would say it also has a huge lack of features . The emulation is also really rather pitiful in comparison to the latest WinUAE.
Interesting you say that. I saw the latest WinUAE on my brother's computer last week, and I didn't really see anything useful which I don't have in UAE. Take this 'OpenGL'-stuff for example: if I remember correctly, this was kind of related with these crappy 3D accellerator cards (I haven't really followed PC hardware trends for years). What does it do in Amiga emulation? Especially: Why do I need it if my stuff also runs without it? Or the screenshot function. Sorry to say that, but I think that's really useless bloat! When I want to make screenshots, I fire up the Gimp and use it for that. When I just want to play (or whatever), I don't want have the emulator paying attention to the keys for this function all the time - waste of CPU power (as small as it may be). There was certainly more, but as I said, I didn't see any use for any of these things.
Also, I don't really have any compatibility problems, everything I want to run runs. There are certainly many programs which wouldn't, granted, it's just that I don't seem to come across them. It never crashes, it's reasonably fast - that's enough for me. Then again, I'm of course not really an emulation fan in general and I prefer using my real Amiga

To sum all of this up: I am aware WinUAE has had more than a year more of development time, so I guess it is more 'advanced' in many points. Personally, I think many of these things are only of questionable use, though. And it certainly doesn't explain the behaviour UAE shows for Severin.

Last edited by Mr Creosote; 09 July 2003 at 22:47.
Old 10 July 2003, 00:54   #10
fiath

I wasn't referring to new features like OpenGL support etc. btw, I meant emulation improvement features like cycle-exact-ness etc.

But if it works for you, then that is great.
Old 10 July 2003, 13:43   #11
Severin

oh well, never mind, I still think it's a silly idea to have to use an amiga emulator to run amiga software on an amiga computer...

a bit like a certain well know platform using large chunks of memory to store harddrive data, then using the harddrive to store memory when it runs out, hmmm I wonder if it has a cache of the memory on the harddrive in the memory
Old 10 July 2003, 15:19   #12
mtb

Quote:
Take this'OpenGL'-stuff for example: if I remember correctly, this was kind of related with these crappy 3D accellerator cards (I haven't really followed PC hardware trends for years). What does it do in Amiga emulation?
To at least center the image on the screen ( or to resize a little screen, example the one you can see in Toki, to fullscreen ).

As Fiath said, there are also more important things strictly related to emulation.

Quote:
Also, I don't really have any compatibility problems, everything I want to run runs. There are certainly many programs which wouldn't, granted, it's just that I don't seem to come across them.
Good for you!
Old 10 July 2003, 20:39   #13
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Center an image on the screen? I just set the window size to the resolution of the game and it fits.
Old 11 July 2003, 07:00   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin oh well, never mind, I still think it's a silly idea to have to use an amiga emulator to run amiga software on an amiga computer...
Err... maybe it is because this has nothing to do with an Amiga except for the name?

This is one of the reasons why I loathed the A1.

I hope you did not get rid of your classic Amiga setup! Use that instead
Old 12 July 2003, 17:44   #15
mtb

Quote:
Center an image on the screen? I just set the window size to the resolution of the game and it fits.
Not for me ( in fullscreen dga as root ). Can you post some configs?

Thx in adv.
Old 12 July 2003, 23:36   #16
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Ah, fullscreen! Why don't you just set your X-resolution to a width of 640, then it fits automatically You're right there, it's always in the upper left corner otherwise. Didn't think about it, because I only rarely use fullscreen - kind of defeats the purpose of a 'windowed' operating system if you ask me (and there is also this problem that stupid VGA doesn't support 320x256.....).
Old 14 July 2003, 09:21   #17
mtb

Quote:
Ah, fullscreen! Why don't you just set your X-resolution to a width of 640, then it fits automatically You're right there, it's always in the upper left corner otherwise. Didn't think about it, because I only rarely use fullscreen - kind of defeats the purpose of a 'windowed' operating system if you ask me (and there is also this problem that stupid VGA doesn't support 320x256.....).
mmm... With a windowed mode without borders and title, changing from your usual res to 640x480 with ctrl alt +? Or you have a separate xfree config for 640x480?

Also i suppose there is a trick to obtain a 640x512, or 320x256, but i've never found the right way to do so. A friend of mine reported me he has seen ( too much far... ) a spectrum emu for linux running at 256x something ( i can't even set 640x400 for games like lotus 2 ). I tried to change something in XF86Config-4, but nothing .

Quote:
JIT? it's way to old for anything like that I
There is a patch for version of 0.8.21 ( i tried it last year ) but i don't find it anymore. For what i remember, it was an x86 only version.

Quote:
still got the modem to do though
It took me 1 month for an internal pci hsf based modem... Gook luck ( also i suggest you to use wvdial instead of pppconfig, it's a lot easier ).
Old 14 July 2003, 13:42   #18
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by mtb
It took me 1 month for an internal pci hsf based modem... Gook luck ( also i suggest you to use wvdial instead of pppconfig, it's a lot easier ).
I tried wvdial, it couldn't find it, l8r I learned that there is no support for internal modems in the A1 kernal, so it's compile my own, or get a lead/adaptor to use my external, hmm think I'll use option 2 for now...