English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 June 2018, 19:25   #101
seko

I thank everyone for their thoughtfulness.There may be other issues to talk about.

Not only is it an arcade game, but the controls for the player are insufficient. It is ok for four directions. In some games one or two buttons may be insufficient. Yes, there are cd32 controls. But not everyone has a problem. But I think you can solve it.

Maybe the Sega megadrive joypad can be adapted to amiga.we can drive it directly. Or it can be driven by a microcontroller. It's a joypad that everyone can find very easily.

I am dealing with design to actively use the 4 buttons on the amiga with three buttons and start on the megadrive joypad in a project I am working on. I want to do is drive the megadrive joypad with amiga directly. I do not want to go into too much technical stuff. The megadrive joypad can use the three-button and mode amiga, including the start button.

The following video 3 buttons joypad send microcontroller signals. microcontroller information from amiga joyport conversion test was done.

If I succeed, I will be able to play on amiga my arcade game sega joypad with 4 buttons.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 June 2018, 20:37   #102
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
To finish projects?
Just so we are clear. This would be a crowd fund project to pay an amiga developer to build a game, right?
Old 11 June 2018, 21:16   #103
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The 1 button controller limitation is really annoying. Having 6 or even just 3 buttons would be great, though we can work well with 2 most of the time. It's really a shame Commodore didn't sell the Amiga supporting its 2 buttons since day one.

Said that, with some imagination, all command inputs from Final Fight could be easily adapted to 1 button and still keep the game very playable. Golden Axe had a more complex set of moves and they did it pretty well.

And of course, adding a 2 button option there's no reason to make it 100% perfect
Old 11 June 2018, 22:12   #104
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

We really need to get past this one button controller thing.
Old 11 June 2018, 22:17   #105
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
We really need to get past this one button controller thing.
Any adapter means people will have to buy/build the adapter, not an option IMO.

I'd love to say every new game should *require* 2 buttons, but I see lots of people still using 1 button controllers on Amiga.

The 2 games I made for Amiga so far use only 1 button because... there was no need for another button. (Roadtrip could use button 2 for brakes but.. nah, pulling left was enough). But I pretend to *always* support 2 buttons if the game benefits from it, while still giving some option for people still using old Competition Pro or ZipStick controllers
Old 18 June 2018, 18:12   #106
seko

I succeeded.No electronic circuit or microcontroller.
Megadrive joypad works on direct Amiga.you must to do right
matchs pins for amiga and sega ports.you use four buttons.
but need driver program.I made it for the test.

[ Show youtube player ]

Pins connections

Old 18 June 2018, 19:03   #107
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by seko View Post
I succeeded.No electronic circuit or microcontroller.
Megadrive joypad works on direct Amiga.you must to do right
matchs pins for amiga and sega ports.you use four buttons.
but need driver program.I made it for the test.

[ Show youtube player ]

Pins connections

That would solve the scarcity of CD32 controllers quite nicely!
Old 18 June 2018, 19:42   #108
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Flashback and Hired Guns can work with 3 button rewired pad.
Old 18 June 2018, 21:25   #109
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This is great, but I think people had already done that before. Thing is, you'd have to program specifically for the "adapter", and I don't think many people would bother to build such an adapter (even if its an obvious simple one)

But staying on topic... Final Fight on arcades had just 2 buttons. It's enough.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:51   #110
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Yes it might be fake he doesn't say how he got around the Amos Bob clipping also as far as I know you can't display graphics behind tiles in Amos like on the train level a few things unless he explains I think it might be fake.

Why anyone would go through all the effort to make a fake video ?!?
I saw those videos a while back and I'm no expert but having tried to attempt Double Dragon in Amos (which I need to get back to) I can say that recreating the gameplay mechanics of these sort of games isn't hard at all using Amos Basic.

I don't know about the Bob clipping though, that's too advanced for me, but assuming it's not a Bob then maybe it's some tile layering parallax trick using icons or something. I think you can make a transparent colour in icons with "Make Icon mask" and do some clever pasting tricks to make it seem like a separate set of icons are moving across the view area of the screen and disappearing behind the main background tiles when in reality it's just not getting pasted when outside of the transparent colour zone of the windows. Alternatively, maybe it's the actual background tiles being pasted over the moving ones? I'm just speculating of course and there's a 99% chance I'm talking crap, but as an Amos user it's fascinating to try and theorise.

As for the original 1991 Amiga game, I think if at least the attack sequences had been kept in and the enemy placement was a bit closer to the arcade game then it would be more playable. To me it felt more like a progress report of an unfinished project, like something you'd send to your boss which is half finished so that they could get an idea of how things were going. It was almost like someone just took that half finished version, made sure there were no bugs to make it crash, and then released it. To be fair it's really not a bad foundation for a beat 'em up game, but there's just nothing to the gameplay in terms of moves.
Old 29 June 2018, 23:20   #111
vulture

So, I was looking at streets of rage 3 the other day and unless I've missed something, there are no more than 7 sprites on screen at any time (including p1 and p2) and when all 7 are there, the screen remains static and there's not much parallax going on either during other sections of the game. Sprite size is about the same size as Double Dragon 3. So, I really think that if someone would design a beat 'em up around amiga's weaknesses and playing up to its strengths we might as well get a beater that's very similar to SoR 3. I feel that fitting all those animation frames into RAM along with everything else would be a bigger challenge rather than actually managing to create an engine which could handle those bobs going. Again, not an Amiga coder, I'm just going by what I've observed here and mostly speculating.
Old 12 July 2018, 19:22   #112
mcgeezer

I had some time tonight to have a look at the Double Dragon arcade assets and i've managed to get all of the tiles and map built in roughly in Tiled.

There is a nice colour blend across the palette so if someone can provide the player sprites I can incorporate those and see how the game will look in 32 colour mode. With a bit of work I could probably get it looking arcade perfect ( probably even better if I make use of the copper)

I'm not a great fan of beat em'ups, it's not that i dislink them, it's just I prefer other game types. That said is there really an appetite to have [insert your favourite beat em up] in the Amiga community? If I was going to port one it would be Double Dragon because as a kid that's the one I liked.

Alpine9000 already coded Else we get mad.... so is the appetite really there for DD? Was the original port really that shite?

If the answer is yes then I'll go further.

You can take a look at the resulting IFF I am working with at the link below...

http://109.228.4.199/double_gragon_map_result.iff
Old 12 July 2018, 22:24   #113
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I had some time tonight to have a look at the Double Dragon arcade assets and i've managed to get all of the tiles and map built in roughly in Tiled.

There is a nice colour blend across the palette so if someone can provide the player sprites I can incorporate those and see how the game will look in 32 colour mode. With a bit of work I could probably get it looking arcade perfect ( probably even better if I make use of the copper)

I'm not a great fan of beat em'ups, it's not that i dislink them, it's just I prefer other game types. That said is there really an appetite to have [insert your favourite beat em up] in the Amiga community? If I was going to port one it would be Double Dragon because as a kid that's the one I liked.

Alpine9000 already coded Else we get mad.... so is the appetite really there for DD? Was the original port really that shite?

If the answer is yes then I'll go further.

You can take a look at the resulting IFF I am working with at the link below...

http://109.228.4.199/double_gragon_map_result.iff
I have already extracted the level tiles from the coin-op with all the good palettes.

Files are available here on EAB lol !
Old 12 July 2018, 22:31   #114
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
How's mcgeezer supposed to know that; he only joined less than a year ago?

Not something I'd ever imagine to search for on the EAB File Server i.e. <arcade; insert game> graphics rips.
Old 12 July 2018, 22:36   #115
TurboCrash

You're asking on an amiga board if they want a brand new spanking game in a genre which was originally underserved (inspite Aplin's good effort) in the all mighty amiga? Is rain wet?
Old 12 July 2018, 22:40   #116
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
How's mcgeezer supposed to know that; he only joined less than a year ago?

Not something I'd ever imagine to search for on the EAB File Server i.e. <arcade; insert game> graphics rips.
ah i know :/

here : http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=10
Old 12 July 2018, 22:50   #117
mcgeezer

Quote:
I have already extracted the level tiles from the coin-op with all the good palettes.

They are useless without the tilemaps. Uness you’re going to tell me that you have those too?
Old 12 July 2018, 22:53   #118
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
They are useless without the tilemaps. Uness you’re going to tell me that you have those too?
Ah i see what you mean. I don't have them.

If your solution allows to get the tilemaps easily, feel free.....
Old 12 July 2018, 22:55   #119
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCrash View Post
You're asking on an amiga board if they want a brand new spanking game in a genre which was originally underserved (inspite Aplin's good effort) in the all mighty amiga? Is rain wet?
No, i’m asking if we want a port of a game that i guess was poorly done bitd.
Compared to other games is this the one the Amiga community really wants over other games that were neglected.
Old 12 July 2018, 22:56   #120
mcgeezer

Quote:
Ah i see what you mean. I don't have them.

If your solution allows to get the tilemaps easily, feel free.....
Fine, its the sprites i need so if you have those then it will save me lots of time?