English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2009, 16:06   #41
ws1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
Found this info about SCART-RGB

If I remember correctly my cable doesn't have 8-22 nor 16-22 connections. Is this vital for new TVs? As I said it works on old 1084.
I made a cable with these instructions. Works a charm I think the resistors are needed.
Old 24 February 2009, 18:07   #42
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Pin 8 on the scart forces the TV to use AV mode (not all older TV's support this & you can omit this if you set the A/V mode yourself)

Pin 16 is Compulsory on a TV as it switches the Fast Blanking input, in other words switches your TV from standard Video input to RGB mode. (values between 150 to 470 Ohm will suffice)

You may also need some limiting resistors inline with the RGB inputs (220 - 330 Ohm) If you get an Over-saturated display.

TC
Old 24 February 2009, 19:27   #43
kixs

I bought the SCART <> S-video adapter and I get the same white/light gray display. Will that Pin 16 solve this problem?

I read the zetr0's thread where he was unsuccessful with SCART connector and had the same white display on his Plazma.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37795
Old 24 February 2009, 20:41   #44
kixs

RGB connector to Amiga is missing the 22 pin. Actually all unused pins are missing.

I guess I need to buy some DB23 with all usable connections.

Last edited by kixs; 25 February 2009 at 01:13.
Old 25 February 2009, 05:36   #45
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Ok, so let me see if I understand correctly.

This diagram by Boot WB is correct, except for where he shows SCART Pin 17 connecting to RGB Pin 20 (should be Pin 19).

Is that correct? God I hope so!

PZ.

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 25 February 2009 at 05:48.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:10   #46
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@Fingers

It is correct & technically all the associated GND lines have been connected too, however in reality they are rarely needed apart from the main Gnd going between Amiga & TV Scart.

I had to modify my cable 2 days ago by altering the Fast Blank switching (Force RGB mode) as my A4000's CSYNC is a real CSYNC unlike the A1200's Composite Video. So now all systems function OK with the same cable.

The diagram above is using an 80 Ohm resistor in the Fast Blank line because it is feeding from Amiga Pin 23 (+5V), It's OK to use Amiga Pin 22 (+12V) instead but increase the resistor up to 470 Ohm but no less then 150 Ohm.

In fairness the list on the previous page of this thread is how 99.9% of commercial cables are built & supplied.

BTW..... How did you get a Scart socket in OZ at last

TC

The "Net" boxout does correct the other boxouts, tbh though I would put a 1K resistor between Amiga Pin 22 & Scart Pin 8, It's not generally good practice to connect the Miggy's +12V supply directly to your TV without some current limiting device in case you overload the Amiga.
This "Pin 8" connection causes the TV to auto select to A/V mode (16 then selcts RGB over A/V. if you like). It can be totally omited (Older TV's ex Panasonic ignored this line ) If you select your TV manually to AV scart mode.

Last edited by TheCorfiot; 25 February 2009 at 11:16.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:46   #47
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Thanks for the good advice TC, I'll add that resistor to pin 22-8 line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
How did you get a Scart socket in OZ at last
That was just pure luck, browsing eBay at work & found something "cheap"...mind you, I'll be eating nothing but instant noodles for at least two weeks, but I couldn't help but purchase it! hehehehe

PZ.
Old 07 March 2009, 11:35   #48
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Ok, I couldn't get it to work at all

Closest I would get was a fuzzy black screen if I removed the connection at pin 23 on the Amiga end, otherwise just a blue screen like nothing was connected.

Are there some TVs that are simply not compatible with the Amiga signal going into the SCART input? If so, it would seem I have one.

But, the TV has a set of three RCA plugs on the back, they are red, blue & green in colour, marked "Cr/Pr", "Cb/Pb" & "Y". Any chance of using these to get a decent display quality?

PZ.
Old 07 March 2009, 12:03   #49
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@B

Check your Amibay PM's...
TC
Old 07 March 2009, 12:53   #50
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
But, the TV has a set of three RCA plugs on the back, they are red, blue & green in colour, marked "Cr/Pr", "Cb/Pb" & "Y".
Oooo, just found a three-plug RCA cable I'd cut in half for another project...any harm if I wire the leads to red, blue & green outputs (& grounds) on a 23 pin plug, then use it in these inputs?

PZ.
Old 07 March 2009, 13:30   #51
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett View Post
I downloaded the manual and checked. It seems it does take RGB scart(says euro scart which is same thing) but it said it only works in AV1 socker So make sure its in the right scart socket
Euro scart does not automatically mean it can do RGB. Euro and scart are just two names for the same connector.
Old 13 March 2009, 15:14   #52
kixs

Where I'm at I can't get that DB23 female connector to build new cable. But I made a mod with AA battery to pin-16 and now it actually displays picture
Old 14 March 2009, 13:25   #53
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
Where I'm at I can't get that DB23 female connector to build new cable. But I made a mod with AA battery to pin-16 and now it actually displays picture
Pictures please & lots of them!

It won't solve my problem, but some of us need our visual fix...pics, pics NOW!

PZ.
Old 14 March 2009, 13:48   #54
s4m
A1200 user

hi

i've recently bought a LCD TV for my a 1200
i'm very happy to say that this model is perfect for my use

it's a telefunken 15'' with 4/3 ratio
i use a scart cable to see the amiga's output
there is also vga, rgb & hdmi ports

some high res pics (agony intro, lionhearth intro high res slamtilt tables, pics) are viewed without flickering good point

But iv'e tried some softwares with high res (digiboosterpro, OS3.9, ppaint..) and the flickering is unfortunately still here

the render (colors, picture, pixels) is good and the price is correct for the quality.

easy to transport, easy to use, good to see, perfect !!!

bye

sam
Old 19 April 2010, 00:11   #55
caver99

I have made a scart lead from a playstation 2 to scart lead works realy well just want to ask if i want the picture brighter do i increase or decrease the value of the caps/resistors?