English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2016, 22:51   #301
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebek View Post
10x of 10x and forever is still 10x more so I win you lose
No, I win because I said it first. No matter what other people say I will always be x10 and forever ahead.
Old 27 September 2016, 22:53   #302
DH
Global Moderator

Yeah, yeah, yeah, how long are these "I am better than you" posts going to continue?

Back on topic guys please
Old 28 September 2016, 13:25   #303
lord of time
Banned

@Turrican9 - no offense but your coming across as a bit of an arse hole to be fair... I have a vampire 600 v2 in my miggy and it is the best thing to ever happen to it!!! so with all due respect you know fuck all about knowing fuck all. (Dear mods I am sorry for the language but this guy is a jerk)
Old 28 September 2016, 15:46   #304
Sinphaltimus

*sigh* business is business. Sure hope it doesn't remain this way forever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262645234189
Old 28 September 2016, 16:35   #305
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
*sigh* business is business. Sure hope it doesn't remain this way forever. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262645234189
I'm sad to say we brought this onto ourselves. I'm sure neither you and definitely sure it wasn't me who was selling Vampire units for profit off eBay, but the proverbial "us" as in a " community" deserves this for acting like jerks before.
Old 28 September 2016, 16:43   #306
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
@Turrican9 - no offense but your coming across as a bit of an arse hole to be fair... I have a vampire 600 v2 in my miggy and it is the best thing to ever happen to it!!! so with all due respect you know fuck all about knowing fuck all. (Dear mods I am sorry for the language but this guy is a jerk)
For God sake man. If you read my posts you must surely see that I'm not serious. We were joking around. I even wrote 'Kappa' in one of the posts so no one should get offended.
Old 28 September 2016, 16:53   #307
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'm sad to say we brought this onto ourselves. I'm sure neither you and definitely sure it wasn't me who was selling Vampire units for profit off eBay, but the proverbial "us" as in a " community" deserves this for acting like jerks before.
I know, and I think this is great for the developers. My only hope at this point is they keep producing the boards so eventually the market for them settles a bit and I can grab one at a flat rate. I can't do the bid war thing.
Old 28 September 2016, 17:13   #308
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
My only hope at this point is they keep producing the boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #apollo-team@freenode
[15:31:55] ( BigGun) we have many topic to work on
[15:32:19] ( BigGun) we are working on adapting and testing our memory controllers with DDR/DDR3 memory
[15:32:25] ( rwo) are you doing both CPU and AGA?
[15:32:36] ( BigGun) we are preparing the buscontroller for the a1200
[15:32:47] ( BigGun) we are adding new instructions to improve h264 decoding
[15:32:54] ( BigGun) we are testing the MMX stuff
[15:33:10] ( BigGun) we are improving prefetching/ branch prediction / you name it
[15:33:18] ( BigGun) we are layouting the new boards and cards
[15:33:31] ( BigGun) we are making deals to get them mass produced
[15:33:52] ( BigGun) we are working also on the chipset integration
[15:34:04] ( BigGun) we do a lot in parallel atm...
From today on IRC. =)
Old 28 September 2016, 17:20   #309
Romanujan

I hope they won't forget about the FPU. MMX might be nice some day, but... currently we have no software to use them.
Old 28 September 2016, 17:36   #310
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
From today on IRC. =)
I haven't been able to log in lately due to schedule but I'll be back in irc soon enough, if only to show my support and chat it up with others. Thanks for that encouraging news.

I'm going to guess these early sales serve 2 purpose, curtail folks reselling and funds to support project.

And with that in mind, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 28 September 2016, 18:05   #311
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
I hope they won't forget about the FPU. MMX might be nice some day, but... currently we have no software to use them.
There were talks about FPU too.
Old 28 September 2016, 18:34   #312
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
*sigh* business is business. Sure hope it doesn't remain this way forever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262645234189
I can't see the problem. I think it is a great way for them to raise a bit of money at this time when they need some to start up mass production. You can't seriously demand that they have to work hard to hand-assemble the boards hardly without pay?

This is also a way for us to support the project financially if we want to, so the price of those being sold on ebay should be a lot higher than the 'real' price will end up becoming.

It would even make sense to me that all black edition boards should only be sold through auction to provide the major supporters with something a little extra so as to keep the price down for everybody else who just wants the regular edition at a reasonable price.
Old 28 September 2016, 20:36   #313
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I can't see the problem. I think it is a great way for them to raise a bit of money at this time when they need some to start up mass production. You can't seriously demand that they have to work hard to hand-assemble the boards hardly without pay?

This is also a way for us to support the project financially if we want to, so the price of those being sold on ebay should be a lot higher than the 'real' price will end up becoming.

It would even make sense to me that all black edition boards should only be sold through auction to provide the major supporters with something a little extra so as to keep the price down for everybody else who just wants the regular edition at a reasonable price.
I haven't made a single demand and am in agreement with your post perhaps there is a language barrier here?
Old 28 September 2016, 22:34   #314
Ratteler

If it helps them get to mass production at anywhere close the the original price point, I'm happy to wait. I still think they should try and put the http://miaowgpu.org/ on board and map the FPU functions to it, if it proves to be faster than a 68882.
It would not only solve the FPU problem, but also give the Amiga some GPU muscle for more advanced 3D stuff.
Old 21 October 2016, 05:16   #315
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
There were talks about FPU too.
This is what I'm most anxious to see. Games are fun but I want to do Lightwave and Aladin at Vampire speed
Old 21 October 2016, 07:04   #316
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
If it helps them get to mass production at anywhere close the the original price point, I'm happy to wait. I still think they should try and put the http://miaowgpu.org/ on board and map the FPU functions to it, if it proves to be faster than a 68882.
It would not only solve the FPU problem, but also give the Amiga some GPU muscle for more advanced 3D stuff.
The FPU will come.. Question is when I guess, but according to some intel, it's being tested as we speak. It will *not* be a 68882 clone because Motorola already in 1991 realized they need to simplify the FPU ;-)
Vamp FPU is something more like the 040 FPU but improved in a number of ways. (Fully pipelined etc).
It will probably be faster than any other 68k FPU but it is not clear to me how it will perform under "legacy" conditions running old software.
I would assume that anything new enough to be optimized for 040/060 will run fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
This is what I'm most anxious to see. Games are fun but I want to do Lightwave and Aladin at Vampire speed

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk

Last edited by eXeler0; 21 October 2016 at 08:02.
Old 21 October 2016, 19:03   #317
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
The FPU will come.. Question is when I guess, but according to some intel, it's being tested as we speak. It will *not* be a 68882 clone because Motorola already in 1991 realized they need to simplify the FPU ;-)
Vamp FPU is something more like the 040 FPU but improved in a number of ways. (Fully pipelined etc).
It will probably be faster than any other 68k FPU but it is not clear to me how it will perform under "legacy" conditions running old software.
I would assume that anything new enough to be optimized for 040/060 will run fast.
Awesome. I still hope they figure out how to crowbar that GPU in there too for 3D stuff.

Has there been any talk of alternative cores of the Vampires? I mean when the Amiga 68K is bug free of course.

It would be very cool to load alternative cores like 486, Atari. or Apple ][gs. Something like a Myst or FPGArcade, but using the Amiga for simple I/O.

I'm probably pipe dreaming... but no harm in asking. Right?
Old 21 October 2016, 19:20   #318
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

You can use a V500 card in an Atari ST....
Old 21 October 2016, 19:31   #319
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
You can use a V500 card in an Atari ST....
Well, I never had an ST, but I would play with an Emulation in my 500 if I could load a core for it.
Old 21 October 2016, 19:38   #320
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
Awesome. I still hope they figure out how to crowbar that GPU in there too for 3D stuff.

Has there been any talk of alternative cores of the Vampires? I mean when the Amiga 68K is bug free of course.

It would be very cool to load alternative cores like 486, Atari. or Apple ][gs. Something like a Myst or FPGArcade, but using the Amiga for simple I/O.

I'm probably pipe dreaming... but no harm in asking. Right?
I think a proper 3d GPU is pretty low on the priority list and I bet we won't see it in the next few years (or ever).
If they had implemented SSE or 3dNow instead of MMX it would have been useful for some 3d acceleration.
Its possible SSE will be done at some point. To be useful, someone would probably have to optimize WAZP (software implementation of Warp3d) to make use of SSE.
As you probably know, not a whole lot of software makes use of 3d GPUs on 68k Amiga ;-)

Regarding various cores, there's a discussion about making an Atari version of Vampire, but Gunnar made it clear its not a priority to start making custom cores for say Atari. If it works or it only requires small fixes it will be done, otherwise not.
486 cores are likely not on the to-do list at all even though I could personally find it "interesting" too. ;-)

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk