English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 August 2016, 20:43   #1
ZEUSDAZ

20 Amiga A500 Games You Should Own

Well finally I got round to it after viewers and subs endlessly asking me to do such a thing, to produce a combination list between my top 20 favourite Amiga games and 20 games I think you should have in your Amiga collection especially if you have just started your collection.
I hope you enjoy it, my 20 recommended Amiga games
[ Show youtube player ]

All the best, Zeus.

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 September 2016 at 23:45.
Old 02 September 2016, 13:28   #2
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Cracking video, Zeus. Really enjoyed watching it

Some absolute classics there as well. I won't go harping on about what games you 'should' have included, as these are your top 20 games, and you've selected some of the best examples anyway.

I'll agree with The Chaos Engine being the best of the 20 you reviewed. Me and a mate used to play it end-to-end on the CD32. We must have completed it dozens of times, but it was just so good to come back to!

Just for interest, I would have included Gods and Stunt Car Racer in my Top 20, but that's just me
Old 02 September 2016, 14:07   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It's top notch quality videos like this on YouTube that explains why I don't have a TV or TV license. Thanks!

I'm curious about the resolution though. When I downloaded it to watch offline, only a 480p version was available. Didn't you used to upload in HD?
Old 02 September 2016, 14:15   #4
ransom1122

Two words. "NODE ACTIVATED!"
Old 02 September 2016, 15:04   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

Great video, love watching these more than I do actually playing the bloody games!! Haha!
Old 02 September 2016, 19:25   #6
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Magnificent video ! I really enjoyed it.
But is it just me or is sound a little low ? I had to crank everything up to the max.
Old 02 September 2016, 22:41   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
But is it just me or is sound a little low ? I had to crank everything up to the max.
Yeah, same here.
Old 02 September 2016, 23:50   #8
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
Cracking video, Zeus. Really enjoyed watching it

Some absolute classics there as well. I won't go harping on about what games you 'should' have included, as these are your top 20 games, and you've selected some of the best examples anyway.

I'll agree with The Chaos Engine being the best of the 20 you reviewed. Me and a mate used to play it end-to-end on the CD32. We must have completed it dozens of times, but it was just so good to come back to!

Just for interest, I would have included Gods and Stunt Car Racer in my Top 20, but that's just me
Hi there and thanks for checking out the vid
Yeah there will always be people out there saying,...oh you should've put this game in,...should've put that game in blah blah bloody blah!!!
They have to remember this is after all my good experiences of that formats games,...not theirs, there are plenty of similar countdown vids but I don't go on moaning about if I disagree with it, it is after all as you said that persons video and choices.

Glad you enjoyed it
Old 02 September 2016, 23:53   #9
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
It's top notch quality videos like this on YouTube that explains why I don't have a TV or TV license. Thanks!

I'm curious about the resolution though. When I downloaded it to watch offline, only a 480p version was available. Didn't you used to upload in HD?
Hi bud, thanks for watching and the compliment
Yes indeed I could have uploaed it in 720 but it still wouldn't be HD simply because using the original hardware only kicks out SD at 25fps (50fps interlaced),...only an emulator would be more clear but that's a banned thing on my channel
Old 02 September 2016, 23:54   #10
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Two words. "NODE ACTIVATED!"
God you gotta love those words
Old 02 September 2016, 23:55   #11
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Nice to see Leonardo on your top 20. Really good and underrated game.
Old 02 September 2016, 23:56   #12
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Great video, love watching these more than I do actually playing the bloody games!! Haha!
You may enjoy my "Shit Game Time" review vids ;-)
Old 03 September 2016, 00:02   #13
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Thanks for the compliment and watching it
As for the volume, yes it is a little low, the real Amiga has low output volume hence the main reason I always hooked it up to the hifi when playing games rather that the tv, It's certainly has a quieter output volume than my C64 ans ST, the original zx 128k is also quiet on certain games,...Double Dragon 3 was terribly quiet, I really had to boost the volume of that game up when I recorded my "42 ZX 128K SPECTRUM AY MUSIC" video on my channel.
When I recorded my "76 Amiga game tune music" video, before I uploaded it I ran all the music through my hifi, linked it up to my dvd recorder, turned up the hifi volume and recorded it which is why the sound on that vid is far louder but doing commentary as well is very tricky and would have been hugely time consuming for me to do it on this, but hey, It's certainly hearable
Old 03 September 2016, 16:51   #14
frank_b

I see Stardust made the list. There was an Atari STE version too which was fairly impressive.

[ Show youtube player ]

It's not just Amiga owners who complained about ST ports not using the hardware
Old 04 September 2016, 15:31   #15
mintsauce82

Excellent video there Zeus, some really interesting and not-obvious picks that I will enjoy investigating.

I noticed that Barbarian II bears an uncanny resemblance to Targhan by Silmarils. I wonder if there's any influence or connection between the two, as they both appear to have been released in the same year.
Old 05 September 2016, 15:20   #16
TroyWilkins

Great video, thank you!

Much to my surprise, I even have one of these in the disk box that I got along with my A600, will have to give it a go when my joysticks arrive here sometime in the next week or two hopefully!
Old 15 September 2016, 21:36   #17
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Ha, I'm sure wiv a bit of practice you'll start to enjoy playing them
Old 15 September 2016, 21:37   #18
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Nice to see Leonardo on your top 20. Really good and underrated game.
It is indeed, I loved the music, the colourful graphics and level designs, a great little game
Old 15 September 2016, 21:39   #19
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsauce82 View Post
Excellent video there Zeus, some really interesting and not-obvious picks that I will enjoy investigating.

I noticed that Barbarian II bears an uncanny resemblance to Targhan by Silmarils. I wonder if there's any influence or connection between the two, as they both appear to have been released in the same year.
I personally love Barbarian II, sure it has very different gameplay to the first game but once you get used to the controls it is a great creepy game,...and who can forget that awesome disk swap request screen
Old 15 September 2016, 21:43   #20
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
Great video, thank you!

Much to my surprise, I even have one of these in the disk box that I got along with my A600, will have to give it a go when my joysticks arrive here sometime in the next week or two hopefully!
Thanks bud, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'll be doing a Spectrum edition soon