English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 16 May 2009, 22:16   #1
Bloodwych

Getting large hard drive support into Workbench 3.0/1 without idefix

I'm trying to think of a way of getting large hard drive support into Workbench 3.0/1 packs without using the commercial idefix program.

Here is what I've come up with; but I'm not sure if it's all correct and I have questions. I spent about ten minutes researching this so I hope you guys can fill in the blacks.

I have downloaded some freely available programs:

SCSI_43_23.lha
SCSI_43_24.lha
patchstrip.lha
Loadmodule.lha
Loadmodule11.lha
check4GB.lha
  1. Now from what I understand, patchstrip can be used to create a new scsi.device file for Amiga's from the SCSI_43_23.lha pack. This can then be loaded on boot using Loadmodule.
  2. A replacement filesystem like SFS also has to be installed.
  3. The check4GB utility can then be used to make sure everything is working as it should.

I told you I've only done a little research!

Can someone give a more detailed description? Or a better method?

I'm also confused over which versions to use above. Do I stick with the SCSI v43.23 (mentioned in the patchstrip instructions) or the newer 43.24?

Do I use the original Loadmodule or the newer v11 release?

The idea is to integrate this support for the next releases and combine it with the SFS file system.

Is this at all possible (to add large hard drive support using these files) or should users just stick to getting hold of the commercial idefix themselves?
Old 16 May 2009, 23:51   #2
thomas

Do you understand German ?

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...hdd/index.html
Old 17 May 2009, 00:19   #3
Bloodwych

I do now:

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...hdd/index.html

I'll have a read through - very nice tutorial. Thanks.
Old 30 May 2009, 14:11   #4
Bloodwych

Hi Thomas - been putting a few files together for the packs including patched scsi.device files.

I have a few questions. Patching FFS 43_20 - what does that achieve for A1200/A600 3.0/1 machines? And how do I get that Arexx script to work - it seems to have formatting issues (spaces) and I can't run it using the RX command (although it's probably me being stupid.)

What is the best program to use - Loadv43module (comes with SCSI packs), Loadmodule.lha or the newer Loadmodule11.lha?
Old 30 May 2009, 18:07   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

@Bloodwych

I've attached an ADF with the patched files (A1200 only)+LoadModule.
Attached Files
File Type: rar HD-Patches.rar (33.5 KB, 456 views)
Old 30 May 2009, 19:02   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Patching FFS 43_20 - what does that achieve for A1200/A600 3.0/1 machines?
Only the combination of scsi.device V43 and FFS V43 gives support for big harddrives. Using only one of them does not work.

You can use IDEfix instead of scsi.device and SFS instead of FFS, any combination will do. But you need both, a new IDE driver and a new file system for big harddrive support. Patching only scsi.device and leaving FFS in place does not work.

Quote:
And how do I get that Arexx script to work - it seems to have formatting issues (spaces) and I can't run it using the RX command (although it's probably me being stupid.)
Should work as shown. Just cut & paste into a text editor. You should not use a Windows editor because it inserts unneeded carriage return characters which confuse the Amiga. Use CygnusED or GoldEd in WinUAE.

Quote:
What is the best program to use - Loadv43module (comes with SCSI packs), Loadmodule.lha or the newer Loadmodule11.lha?
LoadV43Module unnecessarily requires Kickstart 3.1, so it is out of question. Thor's LoadModule is probably the best and AFAIK it's still maintained.
Old 30 May 2009, 19:53   #7
Bloodwych

Thanks to both of you. I'll get something up and running with these files; hopefully making it a little easier for people to get started with large hard drives and the ClassicWB packs.

What I meant about the FFS patch was, what does it actually do? I take it FFS v43.20 is already large hard drive friendly - does patching it allow it to run on lower systems than OS3.9 and 3.1 ROMS?

And I got the patch working - the Google translator had messed up the script! Went to your original page and it worked fine.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 30 May 2009 at 20:56.
Old 30 May 2009, 21:03   #8
thomas

The patch removes the yellow alert which appears before the boot process starts, telling you that the beta period has expired. The alert appears once for each partition which uses the new file system, thus it is very annoying if you have multiple partitions.
Old 20 June 2009, 23:51   #9
Bloodwych

I've got all this sorted for the next release!

I'll include the necessary files, all the patches etc so people can finally enjoy >4GB hard drive support in lower end Workbenches. They will still of course need to install a replacement file system themselves, but the actual Workbench will have everything they need to set it up.

Thanks for your help.
Old 21 June 2009, 01:22   #10
frikilokooo

Quote:
I've got all this sorted for the next release!
When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,
Old 21 June 2009, 01:30   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,When?,
Hi frikilokooo,

Quote:
I usually work on the ClassicWB packs at xmas while on my hols!
My guess would be Christmas.
Old 21 June 2009, 12:37   #12
Bloodwych

Yeah, I'm very slow on releases. I tend to do bits to the configs throughout the year, then release a pack at xmas. I'm hoping the next release will have a more complete KGLoad with separate art files to download as an addon pack too, but that depends on how much time KG has this year. If we were all students again I'd get all this done in a few days!

Retro-Nerd has a pack with some of the files linked in this thread for standard A1200's. Thomas has all the info how to add support here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...5&postcount=27

Last edited by Bloodwych; 21 June 2009 at 12:49.
Old 21 June 2009, 15:50   #13
Kyon
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kyon
new version is coming soon ?
Old 07 July 2009, 23:14   #14
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyon View Post
new version is coming soon ?
If Xmas is soon, then yes.
Great news anyway Maybe you could point to KG's guide he did about installing a filesystem?