English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 April 2002, 11:19   #1
xamigax

Question I have 1 CD-ROM With 10 Game ADF Files, Will My Amiga 1200 Tower Read It ?

I have a CD Rom (IBM PC) that contains 10 Amiga ADF Files, Will My Amiga Tower 1200 Read the disc and play the game ?

Actually I havent got the disc yet still on the mail.

But my Amiga 1200 tower has a 24X Cd rom drive , can this CD Rom on my 1200 tower read the ADF files ?

AFAIK, the 10 ADF files on the disc are not zipped or Rar-ed so its a loose ADF files in 10 quantities.

Can or not ?

Old 26 April 2002, 11:42   #2
oldpx

It can.

Old 26 April 2002, 11:49   #3
xamigax

okiee

ok, then just click on the file and the game runs on the A1200 is that it ? or some conversion with certain utiliy needed prior to that?, thanks

Old 26 April 2002, 11:58   #4
oldpx

First of all, if you can read other CDs, you can read this one too. If your file is compressed with rar, lha, lzx or zip, you need to download lha, lzx and unzip from aminet. I use VooDoo-X to extract all compressed files including rar and ace. Eventually, you will end up with an adf file. You can use ADF-Blitzer or Diskwiz to write these to floppies. These are disk images as you know and cannot be directly read from the AmigaOS. ADF-Blitzer can be found from aminet (http://de.aminet.net) and DiskWiz from Codetapper's site (http://zap.to/action). You can also mount these adfs without writing to disks with VirtualFloppy but it only works if the adfs are AmigaDos disks. Simplest solution is using ADF-Blitzer if you don't want to use commandline.

Old 26 April 2002, 12:40   #5
xamigax

thanks

this disc contains files as below :

ddragon.adf
ddragon2.adf
arkanoid.adf
and the rest 7 files with similar ".adf" ending.

That means I dont need to extract anymore and only need to convert it from".adf" to Ami Floppies using adfblitzer right ?

And this is done on the Amiga itself ? which means I need to get the adfblitzer from the pc to the amiga using the cd rom also, then run on the amiga ?

Thanks for your help

Old 26 April 2002, 12:44   #6
oldpx

Exactly.

You do not have to wtire everything on CD. ADF-Blitzer fits on a double density floppy disk, you can format a floppy as DD on the pc, copy the downloadad file on it and read this disk on a1200 using PC0. There should be a file named PC0 in your storage/dosdrivers directory. If you move this to devs/dosdrivers, your amiga wil be able to read double density disks that are formatted from the PC. You can also transfer adf files this way.

Old 26 April 2002, 12:59   #7
xamigax

one final thing
How many files contained in an ADFblitzer floppy disk ?

When i download from aminet there are 9 files which have .info, .xtra, .readme endings.

There is one of course just "ADF-BLITZER" with 42,668 kb size

All these 9 must be copied to a floppy and read on the amiga right ?

Thanks again for your time to answer my queries

Old 26 April 2002, 15:35   #8
oldpx

You better copy it the way it is (archived as lha) and extract it on the amiga side because PC0 shortens file names to 8+3 format.

Old 27 April 2002, 12:46   #9
xamigax

okay I load the disc on to the amiga cd tray and in workbench there is a CD icon with name "Amiga" ( which was named from the pc supposedly) but when I click on it, it appears an empty box with nothing on it.

But when I slot the disc back on the pc there are 10 files with .ADF endings

Something wrong on my WB ?

Also I burned ADF Blitzer on a blank CD and load it onto the amiga, again same problem as above.
But when I tied to move the disc icon into a the "WB" drawer it said

"Error when moving ADFBLITZER.lha, Packet Request Type Unknown, Remove Incomplete Object ? "

Remove / Cancel

By the way, everything on Aminet Is .LHA which proggy on the amiga to extract .LHA downloaded from aminet ?

which means I need an LHA extracter program in the amiga in the first place before d/l anything from aminet...

Old 27 April 2002, 12:55   #10
Paul
RIP Friends

1. Hold right mouse button.
  2. Goto Window
  3. Goto Show
  4. Left click all files
You should now see your files

Quote:
By the way, everything on Aminet Is .LHA which proggy on the amiga to extract .LHA downloaded from aminet ?
Search for lha.run on Aminet
Old 27 April 2002, 14:21   #11
xamigax

Great, now I can see those files.

But how to move the files contained in the CD window on to the HD or WB ?

I tried drag and move but the message
"Error when moving ADFBLITZER.lha, Packet Request Type Unknown, Remove Incomplete Object ? "
Remove / Cancel

appears again

Also ( if you got the time ) please tell me the steps I should take to use the ADF blitzer with these ".ADF" files I got on the CDROM

THANKS

Old 27 April 2002, 16:10   #12
oldpx

Can you drag and drop files from other CDs? Try another CD, any data CD will do and try to repeat the error. There may be a problem with your CD filesystem. Are you using IDEfix with CacheCDFS? It's hard for me to solve this with this information maybe others may know better.

Using ADF-Blitzer is very simple. You run it by double clicking and a window will pop up with three options. read, write and quit. Chhose write and a file requester will open. Insert a disk in floppy drive and double click on the adf you would like to write. You can also write the adfs directly from the CD rom if you select it as the drive and if there are no problems with the drive or with the filesystem.

Old 27 April 2002, 17:24   #13
xamigax

Well I did tried pop in a CD ROM that contains Commodore 64 ROMS and it can read the files ok but can not transfer / move any of the contents from the cd rom to the amiga.

the usual "packet request type unknown" meesage again.

Funny thing is out of those errors, one file managed to be moved/trasnferred to the amiga which is ADFBLITZER
Dont know how, its just there whilst the other ADF files can not be moved at all.

How do i know whether this cd rom drive on my a1200 tower has IDEFIX with CACHE CDFS ? If turns out to be true how do I resolve this problem of moving files ?

PS : when you say "insert a disk in floppy drive and double click on the adf you would like to write" this means normal floppy disks as used for the IBM PC right ? Just slot in any blank IBM PC disks ?

Thanks

Old 27 April 2002, 19:59   #14
oldpx

It's hard for me to guess the reason of this problem because I never encountered such a thing but it looks like a file system problem. If the situation is hopeless, why don't you transfer the adfs on double density ms-dos formatted floppies from pc to amiga and read them with PC0? It may not sound easier but it is actually easier than formatting your hd and reinstalling workbench and a new cd rom file system. By the way, IDE Fix is a complete CD-ROM solution for ide drives, it has CD32 emulator, Cache CDFS (the filesystem) etc. As far as I know It's shareware but downloadable from aminet.

Quote:
PS : when you say "insert a disk in floppy drive and double click on the adf you would like to write" this means normal floppy disks as used for the IBM PC right ? Just slot in any blank IBM PC disks ?
I mean, a file requester will pop up and you can select the file that you'd like to create a floppy from. At this time you should insert a floppy in the drive because as soon as you select the adf and click OK, ADf Blitzer will write the image to floppy. Any floppy disk will do as adfs are written track by track and no formatting is required. If you play with ADFBlitzer for a while you'll eventually get the idea for it's just very simple. If you use a high density disk and it doesn't work just put a tape on it's second hole (the one that is not available on DD disks) and it should work.

Last edited by Burseg; 27 April 2002 at 20:04.

Old 28 April 2002, 02:34   #15
xamigax

Big grin Got It To Work !

:laugh Yeaa

I finally got the files transferred properly, it seems that it kept showing the error messsages but the actual files were transfered properly and the amiga recognized the .ADF files

I did the ADF blitzer transfer as you told and it works well with the floppy disk

Thanks to Burseg And Paul
/me Bows gracefully

Old 28 April 2002, 02:40   #16
oldpx

:bounce great, congrats.

Old 28 April 2002, 05:14   #17
xamigax

looks like im off purchasing loads of disks
got many files to extract.

there are some ADF file works on my ver 3.0 Cloanto Amiga Forever but when I extract to disk and load on amiga it got the "disk failure message press left mouse click", and wont play on the 1200 tower, But the rest works so Its not too bad

I suppose I cant win all

:laugh happy amiga days