English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 04 February 2020, 23:46   #241
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest.r View Post
Is this version better? I disabled the "wobbling" effect which should originaly change with time i guess.
I've been using your shaders (thanks a lot), but to my suprise, even though the effect is fantastic, they take quite a big toll on my performance. In retroarch i can use any shader without any problem at all (stuff like crt-royale on SNES or MAME). Is this normal? Are shaders like Lotte supposed to be this demanding on FSUAE?
Old 05 February 2020, 15:36   #242
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
Some of the shaders on Retroarch are really nice, and simple scanlines just doesn't cut it anymore on FS-UAE

But the shader I use for Retroarch, CRT-Royale, seems overkill for Amiga. It really looks more like a TV instead of a monitor. What is the shader that emulates the 1084s screen the best for FS-UAE?
If the shader has more options, you can customise it better. The most popular shader here is crt-easymode-halation. Would give it a try.

But otherwise, i don't know/remember how the image in 1084s looked like. I was using my miggy with an TV.

Quote:
I've been using your shaders (thanks a lot), but to my suprise, even though the effect is fantastic, they take quite a big toll on my performance. In retroarch i can use any shader without any problem at all (stuff like crt-royale on SNES or MAME). Is this normal? Are shaders like Lotte supposed to be this demanding on FSUAE?
It's normal for crt-lottes. That's why there are more versions of it (Original - very slow, normal and fast). The fast version should run on motherboard integrated gfx. using 4x4 scaling.
Old 06 February 2020, 11:17   #243
RuySan

Quote:
If the shader has more options, you can customise it better. The most popular shader here is crt-easymode-halation. Would give it a try.

But otherwise, i don't know/remember how the image in 1084s looked like. I was using my miggy with an TV.

It's normal for crt-lottes. That's why there are more versions of it (Original - very slow, normal and fast). The fast version should run on motherboard integrated gfx. using 4x4 scaling.
I do have an i5-6500 CPU and a GTX1060 6GB GPU. I though I was completely over framerate problems in 16bit emulation for decades
Old 06 February 2020, 16:10   #244
guest.r

The cpu is also a bit important to get a better grasp how slow or fast the shader runs, because it's common that a cpu bottlenecks the gpu/shader with advanced emulation like FS-UAE.

Otherwise you don't need more FPS than the refresh rate of the game with FS-UAE unless you are using a speedup key - very uncommon i think.

Some shaders are running like 200FPS on my 1080p setup, but they should also run like 190FPS on 4k, because they shade at a fixed scale (like 6x) and then up/down scale with a fast HW procedure.

Still, my adapter is slower than yours and i don't have issues with any shader here so i think maybe it's a Windows issue involved, like the power plan. You could change that in windows/nVidia panel. I read many users experience this.
Old 06 February 2020, 18:02   #245
RuySan

Quote:
The cpu is also a bit important to get a better grasp how slow or fast the shader runs, because it's common that a cpu bottlenecks the gpu/shader with advanced emulation like FS-UAE.

Otherwise you don't need more FPS than the refresh rate of the game with FS-UAE unless you are using a speedup key - very uncommon i think.

Some shaders are running like 200FPS on my 1080p setup, but they should also run like 190FPS on 4k, because they shade at a fixed scale (like 6x) and then up/down scale with a fast HW procedure.

Still, my adapter is slower than yours and i don't have issues with any shader here so i think maybe it's a Windows issue involved, like the power plan. You could change that in windows/nVidia panel. I read many users experience this.
I was testing the shaders with Turrican, and in some cases, like lottes or matias the fps would dip to under 30 fps. I will check if there's anything on the power settings that's messing with it
Old 18 April 2020, 15:00   #246
guest.r

New shaders in the repository.

In last time i updated the fs-uae shader repository with some new nice shaders, just a reminder.

You can grab them here:

https://github.com/guestrr/FS-UAE-Shaders
Old 28 April 2020, 17:37   #247
Wilf

Quote:
In last time i updated the fs-uae shader repository with some new nice shaders, just a reminder.

You can grab them here:

https://github.com/guestrr/FS-UAE-Shaders
Been using guest-sm and aperture with RA recently so really pleased to see them available for the Amiga! Thanks for your hard work.

Is there a single repository for all your dosbox and winuae shader updates too? Thanks again
Old 11 May 2020, 18:37   #248
Wilf

Has anyone noticed that running FS-UAE on a 4k display actually renders at 1440p regardless of scaling options?
Forcing 4k in advanced settings results in only a corner of the Amiga display showing on screen with a lot of empty black space around it.
Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Wilf; 11 May 2020 at 18:38. Reason: typo
Old 12 May 2020, 14:14   #249
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

This is likely due do FS-UAE not running in high-dpi aware mode. That will definitely work in FS-UAE 4.0 (already implemented changes to account for that).

Are you using Windows? You can try to set UI scaling in Windows control panel to 100% and see if the shader renders correctly then.
Old 12 May 2020, 16:49   #250
Wilf

Yeah I'm using Windows 10.
Setting UI scaling to 100% fixed it! Thank you
Old 20 May 2020, 01:47   #251
rotaxt

hi guest.r - thanks for the link for your superb collected fs-uae-shaders.

i second the question of Wilf above - do you have a similar repository for all your dosbox-shaders?

that would be amazing :-)

best regards
Old 01 August 2020, 00:58   #252
fq360

Hi all. Can someone explain to me how to apply these custom shaders. I’ve looked everywhere for the default config file. But cannot find it.

Also what commands do I need to type and where?

I’ve read the 1st post but everything I’ve tried doesn’t work. I’ve checked the logs and can’t find anything so I must be doing something wrong

Thanks in advance

update:

ok so i managed to get shaders working, great work by the way! however i had to do it via the in fs-uae application settings field, can this not be added via the launcher .conf? i tried but it wouldnt work, but when i tried it through the fs-uae .conf it worked fine.

Last edited by fq360; 01 August 2020 at 12:34. Reason: update to message
Old 21 October 2020, 17:10   #253
diedel

Hi,

Would that be very difficult to port to FS-UAE the newpixie shader?

It's an updated and optimized version of the crt-mattias shader from the same author:

https://github.com/libretro/slang-shaders/issues/134
Old 27 October 2020, 10:36   #254
bohemist

Sorry for being such a n00b regarding shaders, but I saw some people mentioning editing settings for the shaders (something about #DEFINE commands) so if someone can give me more details or point me in the direction where I can find this information I would be more than grateful!
Old 03 November 2020, 22:04   #255
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by diedel View Post
Hi,

Would that be very difficult to port to FS-UAE the newpixie shader?

It's an updated and optimized version of the crt-mattias shader from the same author:

https://github.com/libretro/slang-shaders/issues/134
Hey there!

I also think that 'newpixie' is a very fine shader, i'll have to check it through a bit, if it's multipass implementation is compatible with the options the FS-UAE shader framework offers.

Stay tuned!

@bohemist
Quote:
Sorry for being such a n00b regarding shaders, but I saw some people mentioning editing settings for the shaders (something about #DEFINE commands) so if someone can give me more details or point me in the direction where I can find this information I would be more than grateful!
Hey there also!

The #defines in general allow some of the exposed or. important parameters to be altered. Maybe less in scaling shaders but definitely with crt shaders, where you are given an easy accessible option to customize the look.

You first need to open the shader file with an editor like Notepad++, then scroll down a bit to find the #defines, change the numerical value they define, save the shader file and run the emulator anew (fs-uae).

For example:

Code:
#define curvatureX 0.0
means that the horizontal curvature is neutral or disabled.

Changing the value to something like this:

Code:
#define curvatureX 0.04
means, that you will get some curvature!

It's a lot of trial and error here, not all #define statements are to be altered, most are undocumented etc.

If you have some experience with Retroarch shaders, then some shaders and their parameters might be easier to understand though.
Old 30 December 2020, 20:59   #256
guest.r

I checked the Newpixie-crt shader and it contains some effects, which are Retroarch specific, namely the crt-display frame custom texture (which isn't that disturbing) and frame feedback, which is quite worse, as it represent an integral part of the shader and cannot be reproduced by any means.

Following the fact, that the shader uses specific npot 0-1 coordinate range effects (FS-UAE glsl uses pot - PowerOfTwoo buffer sizes), it's a total pita to even start what's remaining.

The good news is the slower 'brother' crt-mattias can be considered as the hq version of both of the two.

Also good news is i upgraded the quality of some scalefx upscaling shaders quite a lot, now it's possible to have very sharp upscaling to 4k and beyond.

The Hybrid version is also very nice, suitable for games with more complicated graphics.

The bot shaders have some tweaking possibilities:

Code:
#define SFXSHARP  0.70    // sharpness, from 0.0 to 1.0
#define SFXCRISP  2.00    // crispness, from 1.0 to 7.0
in the last pass of the shader composition.

Attached Files
File Type: zip ScaleFX-Scaler+Hybrid.zip (19.0 KB, 282 views)
Old 29 November 2021, 23:01   #257
torturedutopian

Hi ! Been lurking for quite some time

By any chance, would it be possible to adapt a combination of scalefx + crt-lottes-fast ? This is what I use on RetroArch and it works very well even with a Vega 8 (APU of the Ryzen series

Or maybe you guys figured out something better ? Is there a kind of consensus now ?

Thanks again !!

Hmm, gotta compare also with my MiSTer FPGA with a combination of scanlines + newly implemented shadow masks...
Old 28 March 2022, 09:55   #258
torturedutopian

Hi ! Sorry for bothering again, ahah

I'm now looking for a scalefx + fakelottes combination (with warp disabled). For some reason I tend to prefer this one -- less blurry than lottes IMHO, and more denaturated than scalefx alone

Last edited by torturedutopian; 28 March 2022 at 15:49.
Old 28 March 2022, 19:36   #259
guest.r

Hey there!

You can easily customize the existing shaders for a less blurry look.

They are on page 10, post 196 in this thread.

Just open them up in an editor and change this value:

Code:
// CRT-Lottes settings (editable)

#define hardPix -2.7
to

Code:
// CRT-Lottes settings (editable)

#define hardPix -4.0
for example. This should solve your issue with the excess blur.
Old 28 March 2022, 20:12   #260
torturedutopian

Yay, thank you so much :-)
I forgotten about about those are they were not on the repo

Last edited by torturedutopian; 28 March 2022 at 21:19.