English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 August 2009, 01:41   #141
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
I wonder, are the claw controls better on the Genesis? On the miggy you get only two buttons, but Sega had 3 minimum available. Maybe the extra button helps with control?
First, another EAB thread: Turrican 3 or MEGA Turrican??

On Mega Drive/Genesis, there is a button dedicated to the rope (the claw), therefore you can insta-fire it, making it much more usable during the game.

On Amiga, I don't remember if Turrican III is capable of handling the 3rd button of a Genesis pad with swapped wires as Hired Guns does (and I never managed to get this 3-button behaviour to work under Winuae).

Under a 2-button config, the 2nd button is either the smart bomb (when using joystick mode) or jump (when using the joypad mode, in which case up does nothing, while it could have been remapped to insta-firing the rope).

Also note that in Mega Turrican, level 1-2 is a hidden level, with special requirements to access it.

You also need to give a try to Super Turrican 2 (SNES) in which there is a grappling hook and hence it shares some similarities with Mega T./T. III.

Although you can only fire it upwards or diagonally upwards and forwards, it is used in a more dynamic way (although the way the rope is used in Mega T. in level 2-1 to get some bonus lives is quite close).
For instance, at the beginning of Stage 1-2, there is some "hidden" stuff at the top left corner and you need to heavily use the hook to get to it. Try that and you will see what I mean.
Old 06 August 2009, 05:19   #142
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I know it's just down to personal taste and nostalgia half the time but the idea that Turrican1 had better title music is clearly absurd

I love a lot of the great tunes in T1 and they're some of my personal faves but the reworked theme for the T2 title is just about unmatched quite honestly - in fact i'd say it's the best composition on Amiga

T3 had some very mature Chris Huelsbeck work as well and although not quite as epic, the title music is excellent as are a number of truly memorable pieces

Part of the reason i think people remember these games so fondly is their music

It's also my opinion that the Snes Turrican shouldn never be considered a true Turrican in the sense it just doesn't feel right - one of the versions i did play however was a good enough game in it's own right
Old 06 August 2009, 09:04   #143
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
You also need to give a try to Super Turrican 2 (SNES) in which there is a grappling hook and hence it shares some similarities with Mega T./T. III.
Since I know that AB loves the SNES, I would say she may pass this experience While it's not a bad game, it's far too linear and repetitive for a Turrican game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
It's also my opinion that the Snes Turrican shouldn never be considered a true Turrican in the sense it just doesn't feel right - one of the versions i did play however was a good enough game in it's own right
Spot on! When I first played Super Turrican I was quite shocked what they had done to the game... Once you got over that, the games aren't bad, but surely have very little to do with the Turrican 1, 2 or even 3.
Old 06 August 2009, 14:00   #144
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Since I know that AB loves the SNES, I would say she may pass this experience While it's not a bad game, it's far too linear and repetitive for a Turrican game.
Still, I think it is worth a try.

Not only to see a more dynamic use of a hook/rope, but I believe that if someone likes the Turrican series and the SNES, there is a good chance he/she could enjoy Super Turrican 2 as a good SNES platform game (as long as a gameplay similar to T1/T2 is not entirely expected).

The same thing is valid for Rendering Ranger: worth a try, especially using the [ Show youtube player ] s2325 mentioned .
Old 06 August 2009, 14:04   #145
Adropac2
Zone Friend

That's our great minds thinking alike TCD

How come you've shot up to 10,000 posts?, i could have sworn you were on 6,000 a few months back
Old 06 August 2009, 14:17   #146
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Still, I think it is worth a try.

Not only to see a more dynamic use of a hook/rope, but I believe that if someone likes the Turrican series and the SNES, there is a good chance he/she could enjoy Super Turrican 2 as a good SNES platform game (as long as a gameplay similar to T1/T2 is not entirely expected).

The same thing is valid for Rendering Ranger: worth a try, especially using the [ Show youtube player ] s2325 mentioned .

There are 2 quite different versions of Turrican for the Snes but i only ever found one of them to be enjoyable enough - the other feels like it was made too much with the Snes in mind and the whole thing just seems lost.I'd like to get round to playing the more decent looking one some day but i always seem to lose interest after a couple of levels.They may even be good games the both of them but yes like mentioned before, you should probably treat them like they're not Turrican games

Snes is usually the home to great platform shooters and it's hardware gives impressive games but Turrican remains at it's best on Amiga
Old 06 August 2009, 14:33   #147
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Sorry, there should have been a dripping irony marker around 'loves' I would say it's a bit over average jump 'n shoot on the SNES and like you said not really a 'Turrican' game. Anyway of course you should have a look if you are a die hard Turrican fan

@Adropac2
Well, I post here and there... sometimes...
Old 06 August 2009, 14:34   #148
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

True. Super Turrican 1 isn't that bad. But Super Turrican 2 is more like a lame Contra clone, boring.
Old 06 August 2009, 15:17   #149
AB Positive
kachou ON!

ehhhh

to me a SNES is a Squaresoft RPG-player plus Zelda and Mario, heh. I'd try the MD versions at some point but really, I can't imagine it on anything but the Amiga at this point.

SNES... evil it is... hisssssss

EDIT: I have finally beat Turrican 1 - no trainer help. Legit one through.

I can't 1-life it but I can certainly stockpile 1-ups, had about 32 as a high at one point, 14 remaining at last boss defeat. Never realized it was the end 'till I hit the ship and all my oneups went away

Of course this means... MORE TURRICAN 2~! eheheheh

Last edited by AB Positive; 07 August 2009 at 01:13.
Old 07 August 2009, 05:48   #150
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Ah it's nice when you beat a game and really i'm only talking about those of about 10 - 20 years ago as games these days tend to be easier - and that's sometimes a good thing

Without cheating i can only remember completing a few on Amiga but certainly T2 compelled me to do so more than most anyway

Chaos Engine was another i remember being quite chuffed at beating though in truth the final non moving boss proved easier that i thought it would be - glad of that though to be honest

Another World and Flashback again were games you just felt compelled to complete

Never could finish F18 though no matter how many millions of pounds worth of rocket i fired at it

edit: the enemy ship that is

Last edited by Adropac2; 09 August 2009 at 04:42.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:35   #151
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
EDIT: I have finally beat Turrican 1 - no trainer help. Legit one through.
Congratulations AB Now you could start to do it the john4p way... pile as much lives up as possible

Quote:
Of course this means... MORE TURRICAN 2~! eheheheh
Old 09 August 2009, 04:10   #152
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Am I odd?
Nah, you're just a bad person
Old 16 September 2009, 15:57   #153
Retro1234
Phone Homer

What do you think of ACSYS - Even though never finished theres a lot I like about this game - good graphics not bad gameplay but some of the traps seem abit crazzy - Turrican swats what do you think?
Old 16 September 2009, 16:01   #154
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Actually never played it. Should give it a go later it seems Thanks for the heads up Boo Boo
Old 18 September 2009, 10:08   #155
wanderer
I want an A1000

T1 is more difficult/challenging, and has this 'raw' quality compared to T2, being older and all of course. Had to come back & complete it, years after having completed the more 'professionally' made, but significantly easier T2.
Old 25 September 2009, 01:46   #156
Evore
SuperDude

Turrican II is the best (then the next are Lemmings, Rolling Stone, Shadow of the Beast 3, Syndicate, Magic Pockets, Gods, James Pond 2, Syndicate, Assassin, Klax, Supefrog, Moonstone, Nitro, Pinball Illusions....)

I can't believe what they did with Turrican III.. it turned out as a big pile of cr*ap... the thing is, my expectations were high considering the quality of Turrican II
Old 12 July 2019, 17:50   #157
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
In the Zone is T2 with a Blue background if anyone else cant take it.
Has anyone got this I've lost it, Thanks.