English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 August 2010, 22:03   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Matt Chat 73: The Dig

Attila is a real Hun.
Ahem, what I meant is that Matt's latest episode covers The Dig. Enjoy!
[ Show youtube player ]

I personally consider that game a failure. It has a great start, but the end is a disaster. The hero saves a race of alien junkies by sheer coolness? That's so – well, it spoiled the whole game for me, not even the timeless graphics and music can change that...

Please ask Mr. Moriarty for an explanation someday.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 04 September 2010 at 20:33. Reason: typo
Old 30 August 2010, 22:14   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nice episode as always Matt
The Dig has its moments, but it surely was way too 'moviesque' and too little adventure to stand up to the other LF/LA adventures (same with Full Throttle). Both decent in story telling, but quite lacking as adventures. Replayed it in ScummVM some time ago and found it too easy and too fiddly in a very few spots (the dreaded bones puzzle ). Didn't mind the end that much, but it surely wasn't great either.
Old 30 August 2010, 22:27   #3
desiv

Great vid..
(OK, the first part of it.. I had to stop it and finish it later...)

One of my favorite Adventures..
Right up there with Full Throttle for me.. :-)

TCD, that's funny.. You thought it was too linear, like Full Throttle.. Which is my other favorite game. :-)
Different tastes... ;-)

desiv
Old 30 August 2010, 23:12   #4
mattbarton.exe

I got the bones puzzle first time, but didn't REALIZE I had beaten it. I kept expecting it to make some indication that I had it right. Of course, you have to leave the puzzle, and the description of the bones changes to "dead creature." Definitely not a good design for that puzzle.

I also got stuck the first time because I didn't see the ramp in the first cavern you go into. Other than that, though, it was pretty smooth sailing for me, especially on the second go through (I first played it about 5 years ago).

Hehe, I found my old review of it: http://www.gameology.org/reviews/rev...s_the_dig_1995

I had almost forgotten that I had written that!
Old 30 August 2010, 23:26   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
TCD, that's funny.. You thought it was too linear, like Full Throttle.. Which is my other favorite game. :-)
Different tastes... ;-)
Yep, I really think that Day Of The Tentacle and/or Sam & Max were the way to go for LA and while I still enjoyed both The Dig and Full Throttle I noticed the change. They aimed for a different 'experience' as with the earlier games, but for me they simply lost it. Was really surprised to see Broken Sword to carry on with the way LA should have made their adventures. Anyway, it's been like that for quite a while now and some of the more recent dtp adventures still tickle the 'LA' spot in me (while they always manage to f*ck up the end ), so that's okay with me I guess
Old 31 August 2010, 15:06   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I liked it. It is very fun to play on a hacked Wii with ScummVM. At the time I thought that the plot, the music and some of the puzzles were the best yet in an LA point-n-click adventure. Just the odd repetitive section.
Old 31 August 2010, 16:51   #7
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
the end is a desaster.
Awww, you don't like happy endings?

The alien race who has been dead for thousands of years (or so) came back to life thanks to the humans. Brink and the girl died at one point in the game but came back to life at the end. And they returned back home and the aliens and humans will share all they know which each other and became bestest of friends :P....

is that bad?

And the game has two endings, both included in this longplay:

[ Show youtube player ]

In my opinion and many others: the best darn adventure game ever made.
Old 31 August 2010, 21:57   #8
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Awww, you don't like happy endings?
I don't like a hasty deus ex machina. Somebody obviously wanted to get the job done.

The story evolves beautifully around the onset of Brink's madness. But in the end it all boils down to a hero who saves the day without much effort.

PS.: Happy birthday!
Old 01 September 2010, 10:17   #9
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Mmmh, I would love to watch that one...but I'm in China for work for 3 weeks and youtube is blocked and don't really want to proxy..

As for The Dig...I got mixed feelings about it. Did all the LA adventure games, and I agree with TCD, I would put below other LA games along with Full Throttle.

The GFX, overall ambience/mood, and the start of the plot is awesome. But the happy ending is way too lame to be truly enjoyable in my opinion, some puzzles are simply frustrating and plain bad and a few developments of the story are just "too-much" and are not credible for a single second.

Still I enjoyed it and it was worth playing it and even recommended it to a few friends that had common love for SciFi and Adventure games, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

DOTT, Sam and Max, MI1, MI2, Indy3 and Indy4 are true masterpieces in my opinion.

The Dig and Full Throttle I would put one category below along with Loom, Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion and others. Great games, memorable, enjoyable, but not that close to perfect.

And well, it's all subjective anyway
Old 01 September 2010, 15:39   #10
mattbarton.exe

That's a good point about the deus ex machina ending (maybe that's why I selected this game next after Deus Ex!)

It's starting to get difficult to pick computer games that everyone (well, everyone with any sense) likes, so we're getting down to games like The Dig. At any rate, I had Bad Mojo, The Dig, and The Longest Journey on the list, but my Twitter followers chose The Dig. Hint: join Twitter for a vote on the games selection!

I'll probably be doing an interview for the next show if everything works out. It may not, in which case I'll probably end up doing another genre (maybe something like Wing Commander, Populous, or Psychonauts).
Old 01 September 2010, 15:47   #11
seuden
uber cool demi god

I like these reviews, keep up the good work Matt.

cough! Dune II cough!
Old 01 September 2010, 18:24   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
The Longest Journey on the list,
The Longest Journey is an IMPECCABLE Adventure Game if not THE best Adventure i have EVER played! I know that's a big call but it really was that good!!!
Old 01 September 2010, 18:30   #13
mattbarton.exe

Dune II

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I like these reviews, keep up the good work Matt.

cough! Dune II cough!
Old 02 September 2010, 10:20   #14
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Hey Matt, you're doing an awesome job, my ranting had nothing to do with the quality of your videos! Even if you did the same trying to focus on the worst games ever I would still probably enjoy it very much

It was just a chat on The Dig, and it's funny to see that people can have such diametrically opposed opinions about a game, but it's part of the fun.

Keep on with the great job, and add my vote to a Dune II video
Old 02 September 2010, 22:08   #15
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Nostalgeek is right. The episode is entertaining and informative as always. The Dig is by no means my favourite game, but it is interesting and definitely deserved to be covered.

I'd love to see you presenting MDK and Citizen Kabuto. *cough, harrumph, choke*
Old 02 September 2010, 22:13   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The Nomad Soul / Omikron
Old 03 September 2010, 09:46   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

what I'd like to see? An episode on a game that Matt actually HATES. Now that would be entertaining
Old 04 September 2010, 00:27   #18
mattbarton.exe

I've thought about doing that a time or two, gimbal, but you know it would just anger people. No matter what game it is, somebody out there loves it and would hate to see it dissed. Heck, I even catch flack for pointing out some of the warts on my favorite games!

If I ever saw someone hating Pool of Radiance I would have to reach for my morning star.
Old 04 September 2010, 00:38   #19
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
If I ever saw someone hating Pool of Radiance I would have to reach for my morning star.
Reminds me.. In film class in college, one of the films we watched was Bye Bye Birdie, and the teacher admitted:

Quote:
I had, and still have, a crush on Ann Margret so anyone who gives her a bad review can expect an F on their work..
He laughed, but we weren't totally sure that he was joking....

Ann was AWESOME IN IT by the way!!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of "games I don't like" reviews/videos personally...

But then, I like Dragon's Lair and get tired of the haters..

desiv
Old 04 September 2010, 11:47   #20
Skope
Protracker

Nice review Matt. I guess I'm among those few who doesn't really have anything negative to say about The Dig. I found it rather cozy actually and I'm definately playing it again. (: