English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 July 2019, 12:31   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Amiga email program? (with bt internet)

Hi, The ongoing quest to tool up my 1200 again continues....

I was looking for an email program to use with my BT account. I used to use Thor, years ago, which suited me very well, but is a bit bulky just to use for email perhaps. I also registered one called ADMail years ago...

My pc uses Outlook which is using IMAP/SMTP to access the mail - I remember my old ISP changing things so I had to start using a POP3 program to get email.... I never really understood the details. :-) Any programs you would suggest?
Old 01 July 2019, 14:39   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

For simple POP3/SMTP for me nothing beats YAM.
Old 01 July 2019, 15:40   #3
Locutus

Almost nobody offers POP3 access anymore though.
Old 01 July 2019, 19:08   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I'm using Simplemail with IMAP (via my Plus.net account)
Old 01 July 2019, 22:24   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Well, I just tried installing Yam and it stuck at 1% which I googled to find somebody else had the same issue, but no responses.

I have no idea what the problem is, unless it needs some library that isn't included in 3.1 or something. :-/
Old 01 July 2019, 23:12   #6
daxb

Maybe you use an old installer?
Old 01 July 2019, 23:33   #7
McTrinsic

Let SnoopDOS run in parallel and you’ll quickly find out what’s missing.
Old 02 July 2019, 00:41   #8
Korodny
Zone Friend

YAM only does POP3, make sure your provider still supports that before investing more time.

If BT supports POP3, be aware that POP3 by default means "download all mail from the server, then delete it from the server". You can reconfigure it to only download the mail and not delete the copies on the server - if your forget to do that before fetching mail with YAM for the first time, your Outlook inbox is suddenly going to be empty (because "IMAP" stands for "only create local copies of the mails on the server and constantly sync their read/unread, deleted/undeleted, junk/noJunk status with the server").

Using IMAP capable clients on all of your devices would be a much better approch - this way, the inbox - and whatever other folders you have - always look the same everywhere. The only Amiga client supporting IMAP is SimpleMail, but it's a bit of a hit and miss. Some people allegedly got it working reliable - I never did. I'm not sure I'd trust it with my main mailbox.
Old 02 July 2019, 14:57   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe you use an old installer?
Genius! :-) That was the problem. Thanks.
Old 02 July 2019, 15:04   #10
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Korodny, thanks for the warning, I will approach with care. :-)

McTrinsic - thanks, I started snoopdos after the issue began, which was probably too late - any way, I seem to be okay now with a newer Installer command. Amusingly I have also being trying to follow some instructions for setting up AmiSSL which involved using the setenv command, it doesn't seem to exist on my 3.1 installation, and I got no feedback in the shell to let me know that. :-/ Hey-ho.
Old 02 July 2019, 15:34   #11
daxb

Type "resident" in a shell and it will list you resident commands. Setenv should be present in ROM. You may tried to use setenv with the "save" argument (some manual say so) what doesn't exist on OS 3.1. Instead copy the ENV variable to ENVARC manually.
Old 03 July 2019, 11:38   #12
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Thanks daxb.

Well, I got Yam installed and it downloaded all my e-mail (but didn't delete it - thanks for the warning). It's complaining about everything though. :-)

I thought I'd configured AmiSSL (for AWeb APL) but not according to Yam, and everytime I do almost anything, like look at a message, another window comes up saying there are 50 errors (something about an image) and gives me the option of Deleting Message - which could mean the error message or the email itself. :-/

Does it have to download all the messages or is there a way of just getting new ones?

I was hoping for a nice little elegant email program, but I think I might have bitten off more than I want to chew. :-)
Old 03 July 2019, 14:58   #13
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I thought I'd configured AmiSSL (for AWeb APL) but not according to Yam
AmiSSL is only used for downloading messages. If the messages show up in your Inbox, AmiSSL should be configured properly.

Quote:
and everytime I do almost anything, like look at a message, another window comes up saying there are 50 errors (something about an image)
What's the exact error message?

Quote:
Does it have to download all the messages or is there a way of just getting new ones?
POP3 doesn't make a difference between 'read' and 'unread' mails. Some clients store local information about what mails they already downloaded, so they don't download the same mail several times. I don't know if YAM does that, and it wouldn't be of much use the first time you download mail anyway.

Quote:
I was hoping for a nice little elegant email program, but I think I might have bitten off more than I want to chew. :-)
Like I said, POP3 and IMAP don't work well together. SimpleMail - which supports IMAP - would be a better choice - but personally, I wouldn't trust it with my actual inbox.

I'd forget about mail, if I were you. Even if you get it running, the lack of a sync'ed addressbook will become annoying quite soon.
Old 03 July 2019, 15:46   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
POP3 doesn't make a difference between 'read' and 'unread' mails. Some clients store local information about what mails they already downloaded, so they don't download the same mail several times. I don't know if YAM does that, and it wouldn't be of much use the first time you download mail anyway.
YAM stores this info. To use it : in its configuration panel, at "new mail", check "avoid duplicates".
Old 03 July 2019, 22:29   #15
Angus
Amiga Games Database

The AmiSSL message say that it hasn't been detected and do I want to ignore it, which I do. I will check the text on the multiple error messages.

I take the point that trying to get this running on the Amiga maybe a waste of time for what I want. If I just wanted a very modest email capability, do OS3.x browser access Gmail okay?