English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 March 2024, 13:32   #1
kamelito
Zone Friend

Open source ports of games and source code

It seems to me that a majority of developers porting open sources games to the Amiga do not included the sources code at all while it is mandatory to do so for some licenses.
Why is that? Novacoder ports come to mind because he has done quite a few but he’s not alone far from it.
Or maybe they’re hidden in some places other than Aminet perhaps?
If you take you have to give back.
This is not to start a flame ware but I find this pretty annoying.
Old 29 March 2024, 18:57   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It does get me wound up a bit. I can't see any reason to keep the source code back.

Some coders do negotiate special licenses if they want to hold something back. But most don't.

Would the Aminet be liable for hosting projects which do not comply to the original open source license?

I'd want to publish the full source + development environment + build scripts etc. so my work would "live on".
Old 29 March 2024, 19:46   #3
copse

Have you asked these developers for the source code they are obliged to release by the license? Why not make a list of things that need to be resolved kept in a thread like many others here?
Old 29 March 2024, 19:51   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

That sounds like a good idea. Some coders have GitHub pages. For example JOTD hosts all his WHDLoad slave source there if you ever need it

Last edited by alexh; 29 March 2024 at 23:44.
Old 29 March 2024, 21:23   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

I asked at least twice over the years but never got an answer so I gave up.
For sure Jotd is doing great by sharing even if it’s not based on open source code.
Old 29 March 2024, 21:31   #6
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
do not included the sources code at all while it is mandatory to do so for some licenses.
This is not correct. The GPL does not require you to automatically distribute your sourcecode, it is sufficient to (a) make it very clear the software you're releasing is under the GPL - usually achieved by simply including the text file "COPYING" with your distribution and (b) hand out the source code to anyone who asks for it.

That said, I do agree with the sentiment of course. It would be nice if every game port release had an accompanying source code archive released at the same time.
Old 29 March 2024, 21:33   #7
Korodny
Zone Friend

If somebody asks for sourcecode and does not get an answer, get in touch with Aminet. Not honoring source code requests would be grounds for removal, maybe Aminet pointing that out to the uploader will motivate him.
Old 16 April 2024, 19:27   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe material for a port for beefed up Amigas? https://github.com/kevinbentley/Descent3
Old 17 April 2024, 07:44   #9
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
This is not correct. The GPL does not require you to automatically distribute your sourcecode, it is sufficient to (a) make it very clear the software you're releasing is under the GPL - usually achieved by simply including the text file "COPYING" with your distribution and (b) hand out the source code to anyone who asks for it.
Did you ever read the GPL? Because you are wrong. The GPL says that you must distribute any derived work under exactly the same conditions. So if the original work was open source, any derived work must be open source, too. It's as simple as that.

Having said that, not everything is released under the GPL.
Old 17 April 2024, 08:19   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
[...] so my work would "live on".
. It would as well simplify the "hunting" of missing/unreleased/lost/etc. games.
In the other hand I can understand people not wanting others to look at their code while they are still working on it.
But maybe Aminet, GitHib, other? can put in place an option to only allow the author to access the sources files and after a period of time such files are automatically visible by others. Don't know, maybe such solution already exists but is simply not used ?
Like this even in the case of an unexpected disappearance of the coder, the work would not be lost or the retrieval depend on people unaware of its existence.