English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 August 2009, 21:07   #1
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

The 1.5TB-Box

I'm starting a small project to upgrade my modded Xbox (original) to have ample disk space for games, emulators, media, etc. I figured I'd post pics and commentary for anyone that cares.

THE PLAN:
Add 1.5TB HD to Xbox.
Install XBMC.
Install as many games, emulators, etc. that will fit.

THE PARTS:
Modded Xbox = already owned (probably $30-40 for a nice system)
Western Digital Green Power 1.5TB Hard Drive = $123 shipped from Dell (currently ~$130)
SATA to IDE Adapter = $4.45 shipped from DealExtreme

THE WHY?:
Because... Actually the original Xbox is a decent gaming and emulator platform. With XBMC it is also an good media player. I'm sure I'll get comments about how you can stream most of the content to the Xbox (media, emulators, etc.) but I want this to be a simple single box entertainment system. Also, the price isn't too bad.

Please keep this thread civil. I realize that Microsoft is not everyone's favorite company. This thread has little to do with them, other than they are the creators of the core piece of hardware involved.
Old 14 August 2009, 21:11   #2
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Why not put that drive into a brand new XBOX 360?
Old 14 August 2009, 21:23   #3
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

DAY1:
Finally got all of the parts in. The HD was purchased last month but I waiting a while to order the SATA to IDE adapter since I was taking a 6 week summer class. DX took 7 working days to deliver it from HK to USA so that's not so bad for free.

THE PARTS:
SATA to IDE adapter on left, WD GP 1.5TB HD on right.
Note: This is the only SATA to IDE adapter that is known to work 100%. I have tried 2 eBay adapters and an Addonics (sp?) adapter and they are buggy. Use others at your own risk.

THE VICTIM:
Xbox v1.1 w/PC-BIOXX modchip (OLD SCHOOL!). Picture shows the old HD resting on top. I was testing a borrowed Neoya X2VGA box with my Dell S2409W LCD. Final system will be using component to my TV. Although, if anyone has a X2VGA for sale let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00085.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	22379   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00088.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	22380  

Last edited by adolescent; 14 August 2009 at 21:30.
Old 14 August 2009, 21:24   #4
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
Why not put that drive into a brand new XBOX 360?
Because the 360 can not use a drive that large (phyical and capacity wise), and the homebrew doesn't exist.
Old 14 August 2009, 22:28   #5
Jerry

I just wish there was a xbox revision without fans. The noise is killing it for me. As soon as I get the time I will try to get that thing silent. But keep the info coming. I'm currently thinking about getting a 2.5 inch hd to keep heat down. That might open up some options in keeping lower parts cool and put some slower fans in there...
Old 14 August 2009, 23:15   #6
Bloodwych

Is your XBOX noisy?

Mine seems really quiet - I think it has fan control in XBMC?

It's quiet anyway. Was playing on my modded XBOX tonight with my brother - in fact I play on the modded Xbox more than my PS3 because it has copious amounts of split screen multiplayer games on the hard drive. I'd love 1.5TB of storage!

The PS3 is all online only plus I currently only have two games for it.
Old 14 August 2009, 23:32   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It is very easy to make X-Boxes v1.2+ almost totally silent for only £18

A 70mm, 7v, Acoustifan is a perfect replacement, plugs into the standard XBOX fan. It is almost silent at 7v and when combined with the acoustifan rubber gasket it is imperceptible at 10% speed in XBMC and only just audible at 100% speed in games.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=57&subcat=818

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CM-012-AF

If you have a 1.0 or a 1.1 XBOX with a GPU fan then you should sell or ditch it and get a v1.2!

Not quite sure why you'd want that much storage. Only XBOX native games need to be on the XBOX hard drive, everything else can be on the network.

Not to mention that 1.5TB hard drives are still stoopid money at the moment. You can get a 750GB for less than 1/4 the price.
Old 15 August 2009, 03:09   #8
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not quite sure why you'd want that much storage. Only XBOX native games need to be on the XBOX hard drive, everything else can be on the network.
Hmm.. I guess saying this in the original post didn't deter you from commenting. Streaming works, but I did not want the dependence on a computer (or NAS) just to run emulators. With your logic I guess I could have just left the original drive in and run everything from DVD.

Quote:
Not to mention that 1.5TB hard drives are still stoopid money at the moment. You can get a 750GB for less than 1/4 the price.
They're getting cheaper. 2TB HDs have been seen as low as $179 on special locally, 1TB are under $100 regularly. I paid a bit more for the 5200RPM HD because of noise and heat concerns. Either way I think I'll be happy to have ~600 full games and just about every emulator set I have online in a single box.
Old 15 August 2009, 04:01   #9
jmmijo

Nice little mod, anybody know if you there are known issues with the onboard NIC going out ???

I know there are problems with the DVD reader but I've not heard of any problems with the nic.

I'm probably going to do something with my Xbox but if the nic is truly faulty then why bother....
Old 15 August 2009, 06:39   #10
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Nice little mod, anybody know if you there are known issues with the onboard NIC going out ???
I noticed just last night that my rev. 1.4 Xbox can not get a link with my newer Linksys router (w/GbE) - not even a light on the Xbox side. I even tried a couple of cables. But works fine on the ol' WRT54GS or with a crossover to my computer.
Old 15 August 2009, 07:22   #11
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

DAY TWO:
Today I got the drive partitioned, formatted, XBMC and a couple of other tools installed. I used the excellent Auto-Installer Deluxe 4.5 DVD and the included XBpartitioner 1.1.

I ended up creating the following partitions:

6 = 500.87GB, 32KB clusters
7 = 888.94GB, 64KB clusters

Note: It's best to keep the cluster sizes as low as possible because of wasted space. The last version of XBpartitioner enforces the correct cluster sizes so you don't have any data corruption issues.

TOMORROW:
Transferring data.
Old 15 August 2009, 09:22   #12
lost_loven

Gonna be nice to have that set up.. Is this just a overkill thang? for the past 6 years i have had a modded xbox with a 80 gig hd and it is loaded with every emu out there for it and have our regular played games on it and still have 1/4 of the space left. Xbmc we use everyday if not every couple days is our main multimedia center and have turned the fan down thur it and really if it was at normal or at a higher rate we down hear anyhow cause the surround 7.1 is cranked! movies is streamed and deleted form the pc (where it is downloaded and stored anyhow for a week or two). anyhow my 2 cents, xbox is my perfect emu (MAME) machine that streams movies from the pc and playes the odd dvd.. oh and the samsung is the best dvd rom to have in it.. reads everything by far than the thompson or the phllips dvd rom!!!!

LOST
Old 15 August 2009, 11:31   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The fastest way to copy things to the hard drive is to put it in the PC and use a FATX capable tool (albeit made for the 360) such as xboxplorer or the Datel one.

If you are going to use FTP to transfer native games then you can get a slight speed boost by using the AVALAUNCH dasboard's ftp server and QWIX. (You get about 9.5MB/s depending on your hard drive) plus it will batch process lots of ISO images at once.

While you probably don't care with 1.5TB of storage, but I find it good to delete all the "dashboard_update.xbe" files which are about 50MB / game.

I use a wired network on my main XBOX, but I had reasonable results with the official X-Box wireless G adapter, the MN-740, on the one in the bedroom.

Last edited by alexh; 15 August 2009 at 11:38.
Old 15 August 2009, 19:00   #14
adolescent