English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 February 2006, 22:35   #21
demoniac

If this hard drive is for WHDLoad installs, then most likely it's an older model used for the Amiga. Most drives have MTBF (mean time between failure) of 3-5 years, so even being dust free things break down. I doubt any important data would want to be left on a faulty drive even after repair.
Old 17 February 2006, 19:48   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, this is really bugging me now.

A recap of the problem before:

Before I started a repair of the drive it would spin up albeit struggling to get to full speed, after about ten seconds it would stop spinning. After about another ten seconds, the drive would then spin up again.

So, I bought another Conner CFS hard drive that is EXACTLY the same as mine and exchanged the platter from mine into this other drive.

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!! I've changed over the circuit board, the motor is changed, the heads are changed, yet this bloody drive still powers down after ten seconds, waits and then powers back up again.

I've got an Analogic Super Duper Power supply plus three spare standard A12oo power supplies so I'm sure its not a lack of power issue, plus none of my other hard drives are moaning.

What else can I do?
Old 17 February 2006, 19:59   #23
BippyM
Global Moderator

Have you tried it in a different amiga/pc?
Old 17 February 2006, 19:59   #24
agent_jdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Right, this is really bugging me now.

A recap of the problem before:

Before I started a repair of the drive it would spin up albeit struggling to get to full speed, after about ten seconds it would stop spinning. After about another ten seconds, the drive would then spin up again.

So, I bought another Conner CFS hard drive that is EXACTLY the same as mine and exchanged the platter from mine into this other drive.

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!! I've changed over the circuit board, the motor is changed, the heads are changed, yet this bloody drive still powers down after ten seconds, waits and then powers back up again.

I've got an Analogic Super Duper Power supply plus three spare standard A12oo power supplies so I'm sure its not a lack of power issue, plus none of my other hard drives are moaning.

What else can I do?
Try the drive in another A1200 or try another drive in your own A1200. Maybe there's a loose connector on your IDE interface (or some other IDE fault) that's causing the drive to go offline. Maybe the power lines of the interface. Try a different cable. Just eliminate the various components involved - sounds like the PSU is probably ruled out as the cause. Just a shame you opened up your drive before eliminating a.n. other component as the root of the problem. That really was a last resort scenario.
Old 17 February 2006, 20:02   #25
demoniac

Maybe you can try swapping the IDE cable with a working drive to eliminate that possibility.
Old 17 February 2006, 20:03   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Drive platter didn't get dirty, and the IDE cable works with other hard drives perfectly.
Old 17 February 2006, 20:04   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

going to try and stick it in the PC now.
Old 17 February 2006, 20:07   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Forgot to mention I tried it without the data cable, just the power cable and it still did the same thing.
Old 18 February 2006, 01:28   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Tried it in the PC, same problem.
Old 18 February 2006, 02:07   #30
amethyst

Can spinrite recover amiga drives or is it pc only? Worth a try if it does