English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 October 2006, 17:00   #1
Zedzilla

Workbench 3.1 HDD istal on a real A1200

I have finally got a standard 1200 set up with a HDD, Workbench 3.1 (created on new floppies with the images transfered by Amiga explorer).

My problem is that after install to the HDD (with either user & installer formatted HDD), when the install has finished I get told to remove the install disk and click proceed to restart, the amiga then reboots to the floppy insert screen and does nothing more, If I insert the Workbench disk it loads to a command promt and nothing more. (I also tried both mouse buttons and chosing boot device, only the floppy and card option are available).

Have I missed something obvious or is this a known issue? I only owned the 500 so am not clued up on installing a HDD to an amiga, I just wanted to make life better for transfering ADF's back and maybe use WHDLoad, any help would be much appreciated.

Ps....I did do a search before this post, all the install guides appear to be for installing under emulation on a PC.

Old 25 October 2006, 17:13   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

try soft resetting your amiga, some HDDs have slow spin up times so it may not be ready by the time the amiga boots.
Old 25 October 2006, 17:19   #3
Zedzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
try soft resetting your amiga, some HDDs have slow spin up times so it may not be ready by the time the amiga boots.
Cheers, but no go doing that.

I found a link with someone else with the same problem, http://experts.about.com/q/Amiga-Pro...ch-3-fails.htm

So it must be slightly known of.

Old 25 October 2006, 17:29   #4
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedzilla
Cheers, but no go doing that.

I found a link with someone else with the same problem, http://experts.about.com/q/Amiga-Pro...ch-3-fails.htm

So it must be slightly known of.
Did you tick the box in HDToolbox to make the partition bootable?
Old 25 October 2006, 19:30   #5
Zedzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000
Did you tick the box in HDToolbox to make the partition bootable?
Yup.

Old 25 October 2006, 22:03   #6
Zedzilla

I have it working, I tried another HDD and it works flawlessly. It's funny seeing Workbench boot so quickly :P

I just need to figure out everything else now.

Old 26 October 2006, 09:00   #7
Jope
-

Check the dostype of your partitions and make sure you have a suitable file system installed for it in the RDB.
Old 27 October 2006, 15:33   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

If you can connect amiga's disk to PC then try to install ClassicWB on it. It's all you need plus much more. Bloodwych has done excellent job with this package and some of us use it on WinUAE as well instead of some other junky workbench replacement.

Depending on your Amiga setup, there are 4 different packs that you can download and install. All of them are based on real WB (you need to have WB3.0+ floppy to make it work) and all of them are optimized for the systems they are made for.