English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 June 2012, 01:11   #1
spanner
none

Is it possible to make a vga cable for the Amiga 1200(Use GBS 8200/20)

I was wondering if I can make a cable so it goes from my video port to the vga port on my monitor.

I was looking on the net and it looks like both ports have red,green and blue.

What you lot think..?

Edit:
You can use this for Amiga to VGA Converting.

On ebay:

CGA/RGB/YUV/EGA to VGA GBS-8220 £24.50 inc postage

And

CGA/RGB/YUV/EGA to VGA GBS-8200 £21.99 inc postage

Or

https://www.google.co.uk/search?suge...w=1366&bih=599

http://cbmborg.rumpigs.net/videos.htm

I changed this cos this thread is basically about this card.

EDIT:I got mine today..,It looks alot bigger in the pics..

Last edited by spanner; 03 July 2012 at 20:15.
Old 25 June 2012, 01:19   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

You can get passive VGA converters for the Amiga's RGB port, but they will only work if your monitor will sync with the Amiga's 15kHz horizontal refresh rate.

Some early multisync VGA monitors are capable of this, but most others will require a scan doubler (AKA flicker fixer) to give a satisfactory display.
Old 25 June 2012, 01:35   #3
spanner
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
You can get passive VGA converters for the Amiga's RGB port, but they will only work if your monitor will sync with the Amiga's 15kHz horizontal refresh rate.

Some early multisync VGA monitors are capable of this, but most others will require a scan doubler (AKA flicker fixer) to give a satisfactory display.
Here is my monitor..

Hyundai ImageQuest Q15 - LCD monitor - 15.1"

specifications
General
Display Type TFT active matrix
Diagonal Size 15.1 in
Viewable Size 15.0 in
Native Resolution 1024 x 768 at 75.0 Hz
Pixel Pitch 0.3 mm
Brightness 250.0 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 300:1
Color Support 16.7 million colors
Response Time 16 ms
Vertical Refresh Rate 75 Hz
Horizontal Refresh Rate 60 kHz
Horizontal Viewing Angle 150
Vertical Viewing Angle 120
Controls & Adjustments Contrast , H/V position , Brightness , Clock , Color balance
Color Silver
Dimensions (WxDxH) 13.8 in x 7.9 in x 14.1 in
Weight 7.7 lbs
Audio
Type None
Input
Type None
Connectivity
Interfaces 1.0 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
Mechanical
Flat Panel Mount Interface 75 x 75 mm
Miscellaneous
Cables Included 1.0 x Display cable - 5.0 ft
Compliant Standards VESA FPMPMI , TCO '99 , VESA DPMS , GOST , UL , EN55022 , TUV GS , PCBC , NUTEK , FCC Class B certified , cUL
Power
Power Supply External
Power Consumption Operational 40.0 Watt
Sustainability
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes

Last edited by spanner; 26 June 2012 at 12:46.
Old 25 June 2012, 02:52   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Spanner

Sadly my friend I believe that this VDU will only accept 31Khz video signal... in fact I suspect its lowest sync will be about 34KHz...

Without any aid or extra addions the Amiga will only output a 15Khz native signal - this can with the use of a productivity screen mode be boosted to 31.2 KHz... However things like games and general useage (unless specified to use a productive mode like Euro72 ) wont be able to be displayed.

Looking at your screen, I suspect even the Euro72 and Productivity screen outputs wont be of high enough frequency for the monitor to Sync down to.

An alternative is using a little something between the Amiga and the Monitor --- I have had much success with this

hooked up my A500/600 and A1200 with this, amongst my CPC464/Specrtum 128/128+ and +3 / 2AB!

I have also hooked up my friends CPC6128 with HXC which was quite nice.... I did find on the spectrum and amstrad that the colours were a little washed but very useable on the LCD - however on the 42"Plasma (via VGA) and 19"VGA monitor the images were very crisp and clear -

The item also acts as a flicker fixer as well, so it de-interlaces screens so no more flickering - I am really impressed with its ability and its pretty amazing for its price!
Old 25 June 2012, 08:15   #5
Turran

That looks interesting indeed. Whats the input ports on it though? I cant see any amiga RGB ports on it..
Old 25 June 2012, 08:35   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

have a look here

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=20468
Old 25 June 2012, 09:14   #7
Turran

Thanks !
Old 25 June 2012, 10:16   #8
squidbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Spanner

Sadly my friend I believe that this VDU will only accept 31Khz video signal... in fact I suspect its lowest sync will be about 34KHz...

Without any aid or extra addions the Amiga will only output a 15Khz native signal - this can with the use of a productivity screen mode be boosted to 31.2 KHz... However things like games and general useage (unless specified to use a productive mode like Euro72 ) wont be able to be displayed.

Looking at your screen, I suspect even the Euro72 and Productivity screen outputs wont be of high enough frequency for the monitor to Sync down to.

An alternative is using a little something between the Amiga and the Monitor --- I have had much success with this

hooked up my A500/600 and A1200 with this, amongst my CPC464/Specrtum 128/128+ and +3 / 2AB!

I have also hooked up my friends CPC6128 with HXC which was quite nice.... I did find on the spectrum and amstrad that the colours were a little washed but very useable on the LCD - however on the 42"Plasma (via VGA) and 19"VGA monitor the images were very crisp and clear -

The item also acts as a flicker fixer as well, so it de-interlaces screens so no more flickering - I am really impressed with its ability and its pretty amazing for its price!
@Zetro

How does this unit work with Amiga rgb? I can see a no. of inputs on the device inc. the vga in - do you just use a rgb-vga adaptor or use the 3 composite ins to connect? I'm thinking of getting one of these...
Old 25 June 2012, 10:28   #9
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbass View Post
@Zetro

How does this unit work with Amiga rgb? I can see a no. of inputs on the device inc. the vga in - do you just use a rgb-vga adaptor or use the 3 composite ins to connect? I'm thinking of getting one of these...
DB23 (amiga rgb) to HDD15 (vga)
Old 25 June 2012, 10:58   #10
squidbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
DB23 (amiga rgb) to HDD15 (vga)
So just a a standard amiga rgb-vga adaptor will work with this? Cool...
Old 25 June 2012, 11:30   #11
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I keep seeing these on Ebay and wonder if I should give this a go. I assume it'll be converting the Amiga 50hz signal to 60hz? If so, that's going to make for some jerky scrolling on titles where it was originally super smooth.

I've got an upscaled from Coosis, and unless you're firing a 60hz signal into it, it's as jerky as hell.
Old 25 June 2012, 11:47   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have to admit, I keep reading comments like

"50 to 60hz is going to stutter" or "thats going to be jerky" and I can promise everyone here of the use that I have had with mine on vairious Amiga models that is doesn't stutter or jerk in any fashion.

I have tested it considerably with my 19" CRT / 42" Plasma and 17" LCD and if I could say anything bad is that colours looked a little washed on the LCD, but I believe thats more the LCD than adapter.

While I mention it, there is VERY subtle banding on the AGA machines I tested it with -

There are no slow-downs / tearing, stutters or jerks when using the device - I have tried Project X, Super Frog, DooM, Quake - from 68000 to 68060 - there are none of these problems associated with 50 to 60 Hz output.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:00   #13
ajk

I don't have such a device myself, but if the input is 50 Hz and the output 60 Hz, there will be either stuttering or tearing. It might not be particularly distracting, but if there are less images per second coming in than are going out, some of those images will have to be sent out more than once, either in full (stutter, likely every fifth video field duplicated) or in part (tearing).
Old 25 June 2012, 12:44   #14
Mendel

This may be almost off topic but how does indivision aga mk2 handle this then exactly? As I understand it, in comes 50Hz to indi aga mk2 and it outputs 65Hz. If I go to ntsc (60Hz) mode it then outputs 75Hz to my monitor. Very convenient for me because now I can use my 21" Nokia CRT with my miggy without my eyes bleeding out of their sockets, but I don´t see any stuttering or tearing and I am curious about how this is possible I do get pretty bad interlacing artifacts (for example the balls in slamtilt multiball modes look garbled) when using the laced modes though but that´s besides the point.
Old 25 June 2012, 13:07   #15
ajk

You probably won't see anything wrong in most cases. But if you have, let's say a demo with some smooth scrolling text, and watch it closely, you'll see that the movement is slightly uneven (regular, brief stops). IIRC Superfrog has some scrolling credits in the beginning where you can see this with the Indivision.

It's nothing I'd be worried about personally, but some people are more picky than others. Just saying that a perfect way of doing an arbitrary frame rate conversion has yet to be invented. Going to 100 Hz (PAL) or 120 Hz (NTSC) would be the best choice, as then you can just show each field twice without any stutter.
Old 25 June 2012, 13:24   #16
seuden
uber cool demi god

Why not show each field 1.1 times? Or 1.05 times? Or whatever it requires?
Old 25 June 2012, 13:31   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
I don't have such a device myself, but if the input is 50 Hz and the output 60 Hz, there will be either stuttering or tearing. It might not be particularly distracting, but if there are less images per second coming in than are going out, some of those images will have to be sent out more than once, either in full (stutter, likely every fifth video field duplicated) or in part (tearing).
@ajk

Being that I own and use one of these I have not noticed this stuttering you mention - I would take a you-tube - but its pointless as that would introduce stuttering while decoding.

All I can honestly say is that the is no stuttering in my humble opinion, no matter what 50hz machine I plumb up, nor what display device I use - there is none of this stuttering you mention - while I appreciate that some older devices have this fault (as well as some newer ones) this doesn't seem apparent with this adapter.

I have played superfrog for a fair few levels... theres no tearing, not stuttering or jerking of any kind. I have also laid down some law with Project X and Alien Breed TA - again no tearing, no jerking or stuttering - it was fast smooth gameplay.

As I have mentioned before there are only two and half faults with the device

1. on 50hz input I have to adjust the luminosity as its dark.
2. on the LCD screen the output is a little washed.
2.5 on AGA machines, I have notices a subtle colour banding.

and thats it... for the paltry sum of £25 its damn awesome adapter.
Old 25 June 2012, 14:40   #18
ajk

@Zetr0

I accept that you don't see it (as you say, in your opinion), but won't accept that it is not there, unless you can explain how the 50 images are output as 60 images over the same period of time otherwise

You don't really need to bother though, since you are happy with it and I don't use one anyway. Also, as you say, Youtube and camcorders and the like are not useful for demonstrating such things; would need at least a good VGA capture card that does not drop any frames. I'm just interested in standards conversion issues due to dabbling in other video technology.

@seuden

If you show a fraction of a field, it means that the field changes in the middle of the screen (ie. "tearing"). This is generally much more undesirable than slight stuttering.
Old 25 June 2012, 16:22   #19
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

or just play games at 60Hz

As zetro is one of the folks who could probably build one of these devices if he really put his mind to it I'd believe what he says, plus they have the benefit of working with a large range of hardware, any old machine that does rgb, plenty TV games and also EGA

Also, in the amiga tradition someone is also selling what appears to be this device in a box with a MAGICAL-STICKER on it for about £90...

Another... another alternative, is to find a 100Hz tv.

Another another another alternative is to get a projector.

I have yet to hear of anyone saying that their LCD projector doesn't work with 15Khz signals. Obviously projectors come with their own issues but there's no shortage of those about*

* ( will immediately hear of someone whose projector doesn't work with 15Khz signals now that I've said that ).

Finally, there's the lucky dip that your TFT that isn't a television "just works" with amiga signals ( I wish someone would make a list of models that do ), the vast majority of vga CRT's won't though, but it's only us olde diehards still using CRT's with pcs anyway.

That concludes this semi-random post.
Old 25 June 2012, 18:58   #20
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbass View Post
So just a a standard amiga rgb-vga adaptor will work with this? Cool...
If I understand this correctly, then I don't think so...

It's my understanding that the VGA input for the 8200/8220 doesn't alter the sync??

I thought you needed to use the RGB header (i.e. build a cable) to get that to work...

Not sure tho, maybe it does?

I used the header and built a cable and it works fine.
I don't have an Amiga to VGA adapter to test it...

desiv