English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 September 2011, 13:12   #361
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I agree completely on the premium thing by the way, that was a real dick move. I hope now that the UK guy is backing away from the project and letting the German guy run it things will go a lot smoother, if they dont run out of money first.
Looks like he's got a lot of interest from investors, so things should (with any luck, and a few millionaires[1]) go more smoothly after christmas when production is ramped back up again.

D.

[1] Yes, there are some millionaires investing.
Old 25 September 2011, 14:24   #362
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
And again you've hit the nail on the head with that. It's taken so damned long to get the hardware that wasn't dated in '08 to production in meaningful amounts that it's of interest only to people who like to hack around; if they'd got production going early on then we'd be on more current hardware by now.
Yeah, it's sad really. But i guess thats why big company's shell out large amounts of dollar, just to get products that actually are ready for delivery when they start making them. This started out as a dream toy for grownup (or not so grownup) boys.

Quote:
There is an upgrade in the offing (1GHz+ CPU clock by default, more RAM and a better SGX as a drop-in upgrade for the current SOC - so no redesign of the PCB necessary) but the forums pretty much erupted in righteous indignation at the perceived "splitting of the community" that would result in. So we'll have to wait for Pandora 2 for that
Yeah, i saw that. Cant say i blame the current owners for getting upset. In one swoop every "old" Panda would get obsolete. Developers would target their skills at more CPU and memory in a heartbeat, and the old version would be a dead duck floating in stinkin' water.

Quote:
So long as they make the second iteration a clamshell design, I'll be happy.
I'm leaning the other way. I don't want a clamshell, it makes the touchscreen cumbersome to use. And, as i argued back when there was design-suggestions on the table, the hinge system simply isn't up for letting you poke and prod the screen, so it lets the screen change angle. I'd prefer a sliding keyboard, but really, over a clamshell, i'd even take a onscreen keyboard. And for gods sake, get rid on the second analog stick.

Oh, and if you guys needed the confirmation, i'm nuts about the concept, i just don't approve of the current reincarnation, and the time it has taken first batchers to get their units. I mean, com on, there are still people on the forum not having received their Panda.

Quote:
You claim its outdated yet you compare it to phone tech in a phone that costs more and then you complain its too expensive. So I was just pointing out illogical your claims look to me...
Not sure about where you live, but around here i can get a iPhone 3GS, the 8GB version, from my prepaid ISP for about 50-60 Euro. It's then coded for my service provider only, and thats about it. As expected, if i'd go for a monthly plan instead of my prepaid, i'd get it for free. Well, that's what they called and tried to get me to "upgrade" to, a few weeks back. In all honesty, i think it's a limited offer, to clear out units in store as a measure of making room for the new model.

Quote:
I agree completely on the premium thing by the way, that was a real dick move. I hope now that the UK guy is backing away from the project and letting the German guy run it things will go a lot smoother, if they dont run out of money first.
Craig ain't going to back out of this, if he thinks there is money to be made. EvilDragon (Michael Mrozek) is stuck with him, so to speak. And poor MWeston, (Michael, his name to) have pretty much been stuck with the hardware issues. Not sure if MWeston likes the idea of starting over.
B!
Old 25 September 2011, 15:29   #363
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Craig ain't going to back out of this, if he thinks there is money to be made. EvilDragon (Michael Mrozek) is stuck with him, so to speak. And poor MWeston, (Michael, his name to) have pretty much been stuck with the hardware issues. Not sure if MWeston likes the idea of starting over.
B!
I unfortunately think you're right - the best thing that could happen to the Pandora is if he backs out completely. He's simultaneously the best and worst thing about this whole deal - best because he got it off the ground, and worst because he's a tit.

MWeston just wanted to get one of his handheld designs off the drawing board and into full production, which he has succeeded with admirably. His previous handheld was handmade, though very impressive being twice the power of the GP2X almost before the 2X came out.

Hope ED gets things moving now, and we can put this sorry episode behind us.

D.
Old 25 September 2011, 16:24   #364
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I voiced my opinion about making it a slide design at the time too, we were simply told "lol patents" by craig... But I would hate to lose the physical keyboard. It has come in very useful.

The second nub is very usefull if you play FPS games otherwise if it only had one it would be on the wrong side.

I dont see Craig backing down but I hope he stands aside and lets ED decide whats best for the project from now on. Craig has proved himself to be a major douchebag both in the way he spits at active developers and treats customers.

Unlocked 3GS outright costs about 500AUD on ebay. Same price as a pandora. Where I live is just under my avatar.
<-------Around here somewhere
Old 06 October 2011, 09:40   #365
chiark
Needs a life

This thread is now three years old and still some of the original people who ordered have not got their Pandora.

I'm quite glad I bailed out when I did to be honest.
Old 22 January 2012, 22:40   #366
pubzombie

Still not received mine after almost three years!! I'm gonna see if they still offer the premium upgrade order or if not a refund, seeing what the Vita can do I am tempted to go down that road only. Still would love a panny though!
Old 22 January 2012, 22:45   #367
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Still not received mine after almost three years!! I'm gonna see if they still offer the premium upgrade order or if not a refund, seeing what the Vita can do I am tempted to go down that road only. Still would love a panny though!
Production of the next batch of Pandoras in Germany is about to commence - the test runs they did passed 100%. I'd hang on until at least next month, but there's harm in enquiring. ED says he's hoping to get some out to premium order holders so you might be in with a chance.

Hang in there, it's more than worth it - and the new firmware (Zaxxon 7b1) is really, really nice.

D.
Old 22 January 2012, 22:55   #368
pubzombie

Thanx Dunny,
I will hold out - a panny from the new batch would be sooooo kewl. A panny and a Vita together in the same month, well the world could end and i wouldn't notice :-D
Old 22 January 2012, 23:29   #369
Mr B

Depending on how fast the world comes to an end your not going to notice anyway. Or, if the world comes to an end real slowly, your going to run out of battery, and start seeing how everything around you fades out of existence.

That might be the new definition of hell. Caught in the "twilight-zone" right before the world ends. Nothing works, but you got everything. From time to time you find a few not completely dead batteries, and get a short burst of entertainment...
B!
Old 23 January 2012, 00:49   #370
imigger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
i reckon ill grow another testicle before you receive your pandora, whats in the box umm ohh yeah space,lol
Old 23 January 2012, 10:24   #371
chiark
Needs a life

They'll definitely be produced but unfortunately the price is unjustifiable for me now, too... €445.

Best of luck to them. To me, it seems they've got themselves between a rock and a hard place.
Old 23 January 2012, 10:28   #372
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Depending on how fast the world comes to an end your not going to notice anyway. Or, if the world comes to an end real slowly, your going to run out of battery, and start seeing how everything around you fades out of existence.

That might be the new definition of hell. Caught in the "twilight-zone" right before the world ends. Nothing works, but you got everything. From time to time you find a few not completely dead batteries, and get a short burst of entertainment...
B!
ARRRGGGHHHHH
I am charging all my batteries now.
I am dubious that a panny will ever arrive on my door step.
Old 23 January 2012, 10:56   #373
cv643d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
They'll definitely be produced but unfortunately the price is unjustifiable for me now, too... €445.
Sounds like Hyperion is the new investor lol
Old 23 January 2012, 16:20   #374
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Wow, glad I've only paid 250€ for my unit (which I received in June 2010).
Old 23 January 2012, 16:52   #375
chiark
Needs a life

I think you've been one of the relatively lucky ones, John. If I'd have kept the faith then I probably would have received my pandora last year, I guess... But I was hoping for it in early 2010 at the latest .
Old 23 January 2012, 21:32   #376
pubzombie

Mmmmmmm I need to chase things up, if I remember right i ordered very soon after u guys.
Edit - looking through my records seems my order was cancelled right at the start and I waited a while to reorder. Its turned into an epic wait. Fingers crossed. I need the luck

Last edited by pubzombie; 23 January 2012 at 22:02.
Old 23 January 2012, 21:56   #377
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
I think you've been one of the relatively lucky ones, John.
Yeah I was very lucky to check gp32x's forums exactly on September 30th 2008 around 10 a.m. for some Gamepark handheld news (while I prevously hadn't checked those forums for probably about a year) and that was the first time I've read about the Pandora. I was instantly sold on it - all those features and power for only 250 Euros. 5 hours later the preorders started and I got a very early order in.
Old 23 January 2012, 23:43   #378
gunni

Send a message via ICQ to gunni
I actually paid extra to get one of the broken wifi ones because I was sick of waiting.
I just realised how absolutely insane that sounds and actually is given I paid extra for a defect. Don't regret it though, it's pretty awesome!
Old 23 January 2012, 23:46   #379
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
I actually paid extra to get one of the broken wifi ones because I was sick of waiting.
I just realised how absolutely insane that sounds and actually is given I paid extra for a defect. Don't regret it though, it's pretty awesome!
Now that is crazy.
I would never give my money away and not receive anything for years.

Lets face it, its been years and people still dont have theirs.
Old 24 January 2012, 00:03   #380
pubzombie

I wonder if they still do refunds if U want them. Tried calling today the fone rings then just goes dead. Slightly disconcerting.