English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 14 February 2006, 20:16   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

Requesting Moonstone sprites

Ok, I'm tired of ripping the sprites my way which is taking screenshots of every move and cut out pixel by pixel.

Even though the Moonstone sprites can't be fully ripped, I will accept them the way they are when ripped, ie. no weapons. I will add these later myself.

So, still having the majority of the sprites ripped will save me alot of work.

I have already painfully pixel by pixel ripped all the knight sprites, intro sprites, items and stuff, also the axe dudes high swing, walk down, horizontal walk and mid hit, backgrounds.. etc...

Now I need the rest of the axe dude's sprite and all other monsters .

I made a thread similar to this one before, including savestates to every enemy... don't have them anymore though...... will make new ones if needed.

I guess ripping both the hammer dude and axe dude's sprites is not necessary as they look the same, just different weapons.

Thanks..

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
I guess ripping both the hammer dude and axe dude's sprites is not necessary as they look the same, just different weapons.
Ok, they are in different colors aswell...

Need these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enemies.gif
Views:	3277
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	10246  

Last edited by Ironclaw; 15 February 2006 at 12:05.
Old 15 February 2006, 11:39   #2
Ironclaw
Banned

Here's the savestates: http://download.abime.net/zone/Savestates.zip
Old 15 February 2006, 12:14   #3
method
Zone Friend

I'll get cracking on 'em soon.... Will post an update to this thread.
Old 15 February 2006, 12:35   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks
Old 17 February 2006, 11:18   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

Bump, a tiny reminder :P
Old 17 February 2006, 12:34   #6
method
Zone Friend

It's hard work... but I am on it, last night I grabbed these... I'll just keep getting more each day.

btw... does the palette look correct with these (I was just wondering if the white bits were wrong)

EDIT: Looking at the screenshots you've posted... The palette is definetely off... I'll keep playing with the savestates, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonstone_troll.gif
Views:	2286
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	10281  
Old 17 February 2006, 13:12   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

Yup, you can see on my attached picture how they look like. I know that I will have to attach the weapons to some monsters, but will they also be in parts, like the one above?... if so, I better rip them by hand, because adding the weapons to all sprites (bobs ) is enough, but if I need to put the monsters together aswell (attaching arm and stuff), I rather hand rip em by hand..
Old 17 February 2006, 14:31   #8
method
Zone Friend

Well... to be honest... I think you're right.

Although we can rip the bobs... they're a nightmare to work with. Sorry dude. I guess I'll have to concede on this one.. I can't help.

Ah well... at least you've got something to do whenever ya bored
Old 17 February 2006, 14:39   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

Np dude, thanks for trying though . That's why I said before that people have trouble ripping them .

Yeah, I have to hand rip them then, cut out the back pixel by pixel.... oh the agony!
Old 19 February 2006, 13:19   #10
Ironclaw
Banned

This is soooo boring........ a quick question to anyone who reads:

Would you like to contribute to my Moonstone sequel by ripping the monsters??? I need all the sprites from all monsters.... do it my way, pixel by pixel if necessary.

I'm currently working on the reward and inventory system..... having to rip all these sprites kinda makes me lose interest :/.

I will of course continue working on it..... but it would be a BIG help if someone could rip these monsters for me in anyway you want, as long as they are 99%+ pixel/color perfect.

My way of ripping them is recording the game while fighting the monster I want to rip. I record in uncompressed which is vital for sprite quality. Then I open the file in a video editing program such as VirtualDub and copy the frames with the sprites I need to Paint and starts removing those undwanted pixels.

Too bad WinUAE doesnt have the feature, like most snes emulators and other ones has, which is by pressing 1-9 removing different layers. In this case removing the background layer would have been great, easy ripping then....hmmm.. maybe I could try to remove the background pictures on the Moonstone disks.. or remove the content in them so that they take 0 bytes.. would that work???.. Or maybe someone knows a tool which can display the MS graphics from the disks?

edit: will make a new thread so everyone sees this

Last edited by Ironclaw; 20 February 2006 at 09:00.
Old 23 February 2006, 04:19   #11
ClydeRadcliffe
Zone Friend

alright im new to this board. been checkin HOL for a while for general amiga info, mad site , props to everyone that contributes to it!

MOONSTONE - possibly the greatest game on the Amiga (subjective of course but to ME its one of the greatest )
I was searching for info on it via google and actualy thats what bought me to this forum.
I was trying to watch your video Ironclaw, onyour site. but it didnt work for me? was goin to ask you if there is a downloadable version for media player i could check out?

oh and much respect to what your doing here Ironclaw, if i can assist you in your mission to make a sequal i will , Moonstone is well worthy of a part 2.

what program dya use to record directly from WINUAE? i havnt tried this before. sory i am not an expert in this field at all. but i have some time on my hands and if its possible for my shitty pentium3 to cope with winUAE and a recording program at the same time then il do my best

suggestion - not sure if it`l work , but u could replace the background images with just plain colour ones (i guess just find the background iff files , load them up in dpaint4 or something, then turn the background to one uniform colour, and save over the original file? i dont know if thatl work?)

anyway good luck with it and like i said if i can help i will

Last edited by ClydeRadcliffe; 23 February 2006 at 04:24.
Old 23 February 2006, 22:50   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Hi and welcome to the boards, ClydeRadcliffe. Everything about Moonstone can be found in The Moonstone Tavern: http://moonstone.classicgaming.games.../emulation.htm

Yeah, I know. I lost the web space account I had for my site, so most files doesn't work. I have the Moonstone video (10 min and 10 mb) file on my harddrive. I'll upload it to the Zone if you want. To access the zone you need to check the FAQ.

Thanks for you offer off helping. What I need help with is to rip all the monster gfx. I'm currently ripping the Axe dude as no one replied saying they were gonna do it, in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=moonstone

I of course use WinUAE to record, it has a built in avi output. For info about how to record, check out the FAQ at www.recordedamigagames.org .

If I could open the background files in Moonstone, I would have no problem ripping the sprites. But don't know what program that can open that file type (after uncompressing them first of course). I mentioned the same idea in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=moonstone
Old 24 February 2006, 18:50   #13
method
Zone Friend

@IronClaw... how much disk space and bandwidth per month do you reckon you need?

If it's not much more than about 1GB space and 5GB/mo bandwidth... I might be able to help you out... at least temporarily.. for a few months perhaps!?! No cost. After all... it's most likely a hobbyist thing done out of passion. (you can see that in your determination to get these graphics!!!)

Just lemme know by PM if the above limits are enough and if you're interested.

Peace!!
Old 27 February 2006, 12:45   #14
ClydeRadcliffe
Zone Friend

thanks a lot for the welcome + info ,Ironclaw

cant belive i hadnt noticed that recording feature of UAE!

anyway il get on the case asap hopefully i can follow your process of extracting frames ok on my crappy pc

take it easy nice one for setting up such a cool project!

ps scuse my foolish suggestion of using dpaint...
Old 27 February 2006, 15:03   #15
Ironclaw
Banned

The axe dude is ripped... next up will be the war boar.. so if you are gonna rip a monster... dont' rip the axe dude or the boar..
Old 03 March 2006, 07:10   #16
ClydeRadcliffe
Zone Friend

well i got the record function to work fine, except my pc cant handle it and UAE runs really slowly to the point of being unusable wich isnt good

i could try and run uae at a lower res but i imagine that will deplete the quality of the picture a lot

if anyone has advice on how i might be able to get around this problem then it would be apreciated, otherwise il try and do it on another persons computer sometime
Old 03 March 2006, 11:19   #17
Ironclaw
Banned

Not lower that 320x240. What settings do you use? and is it just plain UAE or WinUAE? Also, what spec has your computer?

If you run WinUAE, don't mind if it runs slow when recording, as long as you get the screenshots of all the sprites needed.

But again, if you are not 100% sure how to extract the sprites or what pixels to remove, I rather do it myself as I want true sprites, not ones with 3 pixels cutted of his foot, the shadow under the monster wrongly extracted etc...

I appriciate you trying to help though and hope you will know what to do.
Old 30 March 2006, 18:22   #18
ClydeRadcliffe
Zone Friend

sory for the late reply. yeah im using winUAE , but even running at 320X240 it cant handle it.. it runs very slowly and takes up loads of HD space, and the HD i am using isnt very big really...

im sorry man, really wanted to help here! wish u all the best. if i get a better PC in the near future, then i will be more then happy to help out. sory for bein a time-waster!

ps have u considered adding elements from the english countryside into your map on the new moonstone?(as the original was set near avebury/stonehenge) i am happy to help with research etc if u need any since i live near there
Old 01 July 2006, 06:53   #19
comawhite015
Put him in the curry!

Send a message via MSN to comawhite015
I just finished the original Moonstone like, ten minutes ago. - It's totally always going to be a favourite. Enourmous respect, Ironclaw, for tackling such a vast task. I'd offer to help, but I'm on a crusty Celeron, for god's sake.. soo.. yer.. but!.. I'm cheering for you =) Huzzah.
Old 11 July 2006, 12:07   #20
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ironclaw: You are using the movie record to rip sprites? I wish I could get that feature to work properly (every time I try I get a movie file which cannot be played back for some reason).

I've used an even worst method to rip sprites:

1) make sure moving sprite is onscreen
2) madly mash the end+printscreen keys to create dozens of screenshots
3) view the files using irfanview to see them animate and pick out the different frames
4) remove all redundant files
5) open each frame in photoshop, cut out the sprite and rub out any pixels not belonging to the sprite.

HARD work. But it works