English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 November 2009, 20:10   #1
Bloodwych

StuntCar Racer multiplayer link

This video really brought a smile to my face (from Amicon 2009)

I used to hook my A500 up via serial link all the time with friends when I was younger. The memories of having to lug around a "portable" TV set, bulky A500, joysticks and disk boxes are still a strong memory.

Anyway, here is a vid of good old Stuntcar Racer via link mode:

[ Show youtube player ]

Oh the laughs we had with that - knock out tournaments with 8 of us in one room!!! Plus we used to play Populous, Settlers, Lotus and other link games.

Multiplaying wasn't that bad without the internet. At least it forced everyone to have what amounts today as Lan parties - much more sociable!!!
Old 07 November 2009, 20:32   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Lotus with 4 players isn't bad either : [ Show youtube player ] (starts at ~0:45)
Old 07 November 2009, 20:38   #3
Bloodwych

Indeed, the closest these days is something like GRID multiplayer LAN (thank you programmers for adding a rare PS3->PS3 wifi option), but Lotus 4 player was a scream!!!!
Old 08 November 2009, 05:02   #4
Titler
Zone Friend

This brings up a little sad memory for me; I never did get the chance to multi-link my own Amiga back in the day; My memory is a little fuzzy on the actual dates, but I finally got to try sometime around 1995 I think it was, around the time I may have been at University, with a second Amiga A500 I'd picked up dirt cheap from one of the ad-mags specifically for that purpose, and took them both, and my single small studenty TV screen of the day, back to Nottingham and a friend and a brother who'd always wanted to try some of the games too, and had put aside an entire day for just that. I think Populous was the big one we wanted to try... it just seemed such an awesome concept to play against each other, and at last we would. We plugged them in, started up with Stunt Car Racer on both machines for a laugh and... nothing. We then switched to Knights of the Sky, thinking maybe it was just the game that was the problem... nothing again. Nor Populous. Nothing at all. Both Amiga's started up fine, but they didn't seem to see each other. And as we'd already started to lead separate lives on different timetables, and as it was such a hassle to get so much hardware into the same time and place on top of that, we never really tried again.

I ended up selling that second Amiga on again shortly afterwards to another friend who wanted it for as a stand alone games machine, thinking perhaps I just didn't know anything about networking, or the cabling was broke or something, and then being told it had developed other serious problems within a week or two of passing it on; And so I ended up feeling really, really shitty because it must have been a physical lemon. Hence why I got it so cheap I suppose, but I didn't think to put 2 and 2 together at the time. And so the whole experience left a really bad taste in my mouth... that we'd failed to have the fun, wasted time I never got back, and that I'd let down a friend by selling it to them, even if at a price cheaper than even I'd got it for, because it ultimately proved worthless.

Years later, I'd discover WinUAE, and it's Kaillera client, so there was the possibility of playing those games one day, even if I've lost touch with everyone I knew in the Amiga days and no one ever seems to host Amiga servers... and edited to add, it seems Kaillera doesn't now work on my newer, Dual Core system *Sighs*. So the memory is still bitter-sweet even today. But it's was nice to actually see people having such great fun with linked Amigas, fun that I'd always heard or read about being possible, but never got close too myself.

Last edited by Titler; 08 November 2009 at 05:48.
Old 08 November 2009, 11:59   #5
Bloodwych

Sad story Titler.

To go from excitement to that. You could have had an incorrect serial cable, as only certain ones worked.
Old 08 November 2009, 14:16   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Ah, great memories. I would be upstairs and my brother would be downstairs and a massive arse lead would trail the full lentgh from up to down, .

We would play Vroom, armegeddon, lotus and stunt car racer.

@Titler.

Didnt know it wasnt working on Dual core systems. Hungry Horace, runs a site called http://amigaonline.pspuae.com

Here everyone comes together to play multiplayer games online. Best thing about killera is, any 2 player games can be played over a network / net.
I had many a night playing lotus 1 and I think once, me and horace played Tower Assault.

So now you have mentioned the problem with killera, I will talk to horace and see if anyone else is having issues. Amgaonline is down at the moment, but should be back up soon.
Old 08 November 2009, 14:31   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Okay time to build a Null modem cable to take to Amiga revival on 12th December.

Can anyone please recommend a schematic that is known to work?
Old 08 November 2009, 14:45   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

pins 3, 6 and 7 ? reverse 7 and 6?

i think thats right but its been a long time!

i used to like 4 player lotus 2 and gravity power bestest
Old 08 November 2009, 15:01   #9
fryguy

XTreme Racing is also fun over nullmodem.
Old 08 November 2009, 15:11   #10
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I take it that WHDLoad installed versions work across Null modem cables?
Old 08 November 2009, 15:39   #11
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
XTreme Racing is also fun over nullmodem.
Never played that! Skidmarks was another we did play however....
Old 08 November 2009, 16:31   #12
Titler
Zone Friend

http://amigaonline.pspuae.com

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

But I'll keep an eye on that...

I think it's dual core as the problem with Kaillera, as the last update before WinUAE-K was discontinued was he was asking if anyone with a dual core could let him know if it works or not on it. I was up very, very late last night when I tried it though, and all I got was a fatal error when I try to launch a game with it... so it could be because I'm not synced up to a second kaillera client at launch however.

I also found a copy of the 2007 Speedball 2 Tournament game for £3 at Play.com which I ordered in a bit of late night/early morning optimism; I gather it's already dead online competitively, but for three quid I'll get the single player at least!
Old 08 November 2009, 17:06   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

But I'll keep an eye on that...

I think it's dual core as the problem with Kaillera, as the last update before WinUAE-K was discontinued was he was asking if anyone with a dual core could let him know if it works or not on it. I was up very, very late last night when I tried it though, and all I got was a fatal error when I try to launch a game with it... so it could be because I'm not synced up to a second kaillera client at launch however.

I also found a copy of the 2007 Speedball 2 Tournament game for £3 at Play.com which I ordered in a bit of late night/early morning optimism; I gather it's already dead online competitively, but for three quid I'll get the single player at least!
I never got round to bying new speedball 2, any good?

If it does networking, you could always use hamachi to gonnect over the net and play in network mode.
Used to this alot for C&C, as bug their end caused me to not be able to connect to the EA servers. Still doesnt let me, .
Old 08 November 2009, 21:51   #14
Titler
Zone Friend

I don't know yet, it's due to arrive mid week It got average reviews, but for the price I couldn't really complain even if it's terrible...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sp...rnament-review

I also don't know if it networks or not, as the official page isn't exactly friendly, unless you speak German...
Old 08 November 2009, 23:22   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
This brings up a little sad memory for me; I never did get the chance to multi-link my own Amiga back in the day; My memory is a little fuzzy on the actual dates, but I finally got to try sometime around 1995 I think it was, around the time I may have been at University, with a ...
Oh my god, that story almost made me cry. It has it all: the prospect of fun, the sadness, the conflict, the broken love. Great story, you should consider writing a book!
Old 09 November 2009, 10:33   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:

Server is finally back, up, so amigaonline is all working fine again. As is the rest of the pspuae.com network.
Old 09 November 2009, 12:18   #17
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Titler I hope you not going to be disappointed with pc version of speedball2 but it is crap, get a refund now.

thats a very sad story as well, sounds like an A500+ i had once
Old 09 November 2009, 16:27   #18
Titler
Zone Friend

Well, it was only £3 and free delivery brand new from Play, so I don't mind taking a risk... I never bought the Amiga original anyway, as it was a copied disc, so maybe I should finally give just a little back eh? :P

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3515...&ob=Price&fb=0
Old 10 November 2009, 12:41   #19
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Didnt know it wasnt working on Dual core systems. Hungry Horace, runs a site called http://amigaonline.pspuae.com

Here everyone comes together to play multiplayer games online. Best thing about killera is, any 2 player games can be played over a network / net.
I had many a night playing lotus 1 and I think once, me and horace played Tower Assault.

I didn't know about this, being pretty new to UAE.

But I'm not quite clear, is it just for normal 2 player games or can you play link-up serial port games like Falcon with it?
Old 10 November 2009, 13:25   #20
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

2 player (shared) games only

i had been working on a winuae-kaillera GUI, but lack of interest from anyone meant i went on to other projects instead