English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 March 2009, 13:13   #41
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
it booted QNX too but i must have mucked up the install some where along the line...

but will have more time this week to get it working though i may swithch to an amd 2ghz processor and board must see what chip set is on the mother board
Old 22 March 2009, 13:22   #42
prowler
Global Moderator

Good luck with that, mate.

Are you installing to a new partition on your hard drive?
Old 22 March 2009, 14:32   #43
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

yep hope to use a dedicated HD till I`m use`t to it
Old 29 March 2009, 15:05   #44
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have found a torrent containing the QNX 6.3.2 installation and boot CD image (6.3.2-nto632-200709062316.iso, 542MB) and QNX 6.3.2 Windows installation CD image (6.3.2-win32-200709062316.iso, 523MB), and I'm downloading them now.
I needn't have downloaded these files from a torrent. They're actually still available here:
http://www.qnx.com/download/group.html?programid=16801
I just hadn't noticed them previously.

prowler
Old 29 March 2009, 15:59   #45
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

well at least you now know how to download individual files in a torrent so its not all bad
Old 29 March 2009, 16:40   #46
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
well at least you now know how to download individual files in a torrent so its not all bad
Hi Cosmic,

Yes, that's a tremendous advantage, except when the torrents contain just one large archive.

The strange thing about this torrent is that the files it contains are freely (i.e. legitimately) and individually available elsewhere, i.e. they are not hacked versions.

prowler
Old 29 March 2009, 17:55   #47
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

thats not unusual

and it is a pain when the torrent is realy big and you only want a couple of files out of it but its packed into 1 big file
Old 04 April 2009, 23:21   #48
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi guys,

Today, I burned the 6.3.2-nto632-200709062316.iso image to CD-R and installed it into a type 78 partition on my 1GHz PIII system (QNX 6.1 and Amiga OS XL already being installed on a type 79 partition on the same hard drive). Again, the installer accepted the perpetual licence key I have for version 6.4.

However, as expected, when this had completed and I attempted to install the AmigaOS XL emulator from the CD repository, I was once more prevented from doing so by "unresolved dependencies".

Bearing in mind my intention to seek help with this from the OpenQNX forum, I thought I would see if I could discover more about the reason for this problem. The full error message reads: "Dependencies could not be satisified for the selected packages using the currently open repositories. Would you like to search all known repositories?". Clicking 'Yes' provided the useful note: "A shared object library (libstdc++.so2.10 for x86) is required for this package to operate correctly". I'm hoping this information takes me one step nearer to finding a solution.

I have previously encountered the "unresolved dependencies" error message when trying to install AmigaOS XL with QNX versions 6.2.1 and 6.3.0. I shall repeat those installations to get the details. When I have that information, it will giVe me a better start on the OpenQNX forum than "Help needed with AmigaOS XL installation", as I seriously doubt whether anyone at OpenQNX has ever heard of AmigaOS XL.

Unlike earlier versions, QNX 6.3.2 is still hosted / supported on the official website ( http://www.qnx.com/ ), so this is likely to be worth the effort.

prowler
Old 04 July 2009, 20:11   #49
dframeli

Prowler,

FYI below...

Probably no chance that we can recompile the source....

What if we copied the old (expected) version of the library to the new QNX installation?

Note on shared libraries:

When making a system image you need to ensure that you aren't mixing stuff from the QNX Neutrino RTOS version 6.0 with version 6.1. The reason is, programs compiled under v6.0 require v6.0 libraries and the ones compiled in v6.1 require 6.1 libraries. The new libraries are distinguished from the older ones by a ".2" suffix, e.g. libc.so.2, libsocket.so.2, libm.so.2, and so on. The corresponding libraries in v6.0 end in a ".1" suffix, e.g. libc.so.1, libsocket.so.1, libm.so.1, libstdc++.so.2.10.0 (note the names of old and new C++ libraries!). If for some unavoidable reason you're mixing applications from both releases, be sure to add libraries (and the symbolic links) for both versions in the buildfile.

Here is how you can determine libraries required by a particular application. This would enable you to find out whether the application was compiled for the QNX Neutrino RTOS v6.0 or v6.1. Just use:

objdump -x myapplication | grep "NEEDED"

Last edited by dframeli; 04 July 2009 at 20:16.
Old 04 July 2009, 22:46   #50
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your continued interest in this. I must admit I've lost some of my enthusiasm, being busy with more important things.

What you're suggesting is a possible approach which occurred to me when I kept getting the unresolved dependencies error message while trying to install AmigaOS XL in more up to date versions of the QNX RTOS.

I'm fairly confident that this will not work in QNX 6.4, but it might just work with versions 6.2.1, 6.3.0 and 6.3.2 if we're lucky.

It's a shame that the package wasn't linked statically with the shared libraries at compile time. If we now import the expected QNX 6.1 versions of the libraries into a new, later QNX installation, then we'll effectively be doing the same thing by other means.

It's against my nature to be pessimistic, and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure there will be a very good reason why this was not done, and we are about to discover it.

It'll take some time for me to get my head back around this, but then I'll give it a go.

prowler
Old 01 August 2009, 00:42   #51
AvatharV

I am very grateful for for your information on this. I found the QNX6.1 iso and installed it as you said. I inserted the Amithlon CD. I went to the Installer and did the CD repository and selected the AmigaOS_XL for x86 package, but I get a "Missing license for package AmigaOS_XL (amigaosxl-1.1-hp).

I have a couple copies of this and the repository directory is the same on all of them. What files do you show in the repository directory?

Any ideas?

Old 01 August 2009, 00:57   #52
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi AvatharV, and welcome to EAB.

Thanks for your interest in AmigaOS XL.

I cannot reproduce your error using an installation from either the QNX 6.1 CD which came with my AmigaOS XL package or the one generated from the QNX6.1.iso download and my Amithlon CD.

Is either of your Amithlon CDs an original, or are they both generated from the latest AmithlonCD.iso from Alpyre?

These are the files in the repository directory of my Amithlon CD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The files are accessible using the File Manager. Default path is /root. Navigate up one level and then to /fs/cd0/repository. The AmigaOS XL package comprises the four files
amigaosxl-1.1-hp.qpk 18,948,964 bytes (gzip compressed data),
amigaosxl-1.1-hp.qpm 6,466 bytes (XML file),
amigaosxl-1.1-x86-hp.qpk 754,289 bytes (gzip compressed data),
and
amigaosxl-1.1-x86-hp.qpm 5,617 bytes (XML file).
I hope this answers your questions.
Old 25 February 2023, 19:19   #53
gavinr

Hi
I have an old QNX installation that I just tried to boot from, and I get the login screen, but can't remember the passwords. Just wondering is the root password some standard value, or did I have to set it myself?

Also on windows I found a file program-files\qnx\boot with this if this helps me somehow?
rootname=root
rootpass=43fZHH9XfWRE2

I tried entering it direct but it doesn't work.
I hope you guys have written down the passwords unlike me...

Edit:
finally remembered the password, in case you were feeling bad for me, have to find root next, and get network ethernet to work, it seems to be throwing errors like permission denied..

Last edited by gavinr; 14 April 2023 at 16:04. Reason: update