English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 January 2011, 09:53   #41
scarnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post

This!

http://icontrolpad.coM

ignore the pic at the top of the page and scroll down.
The GameBone from 22Moo (out of Sydney) is going to be awesome. Fully licensed under the Apple MiFi program, it will work on non jailbroken devices. We're working with them and will have C64 support out of the gate and adding it to Amiga too. The specs look good, with kickstand, battery and a decent number of buttons for all your retro gaming needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vairn View Post
I said, that the Winuae CPU core is too slow on a 3gs (but it does add 020+)
The fame-c one is fine for the 3gs.
Ahh, no worries. Though adding 020 to mine probably wouldn't be too hard, but for little gain. Most of what we'll be going for is fine with ECS and 68K. Anything I can gain in performance will mean better battery life, so I've been pretty heavily benchmarking and improving. I did find the same things you did, with converting the bit planes to chunky mode, but I will use some NEON code to hopefully improve that.

I was able to get about 25-30FPS for IK+ on a 3G, which was good enough for that game, but scrollers suck unless 50/60FPS. We decided to go ARMv7 exclusively to ensure good performance.

Cheers,

Stu

Quote:
Are you using OpenAL for sound, It works extremely well.
Using CoreAudio for sound, which is same engine I used for C64. Works great and overhead is minimal. OpenAL was buggy when I first started C64.

Quote:
how fast is openGL, did you loose performance, or is it about the same?
According to Apple's videos, docs and forums, OpenGL perf should now be closer to metal than Core Graphics. It was much slower on the MBX, but SGX is a completely different beast.

Quote:
Using shaders for the scanlines etc is a good idea.
Yes, very happy with the results for little overhead. First time writing useful GLSL shaders, so that was fun

Last edited by TCD; 09 January 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.

Old 09 January 2011, 10:01   #42
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Do 020, and AGA at the same time, even though there are some AGA games which don't require an 020, it is a nice addition.

Frontier works nice on an 020, with my ipad, (there is a sound issue though...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarnie View Post
Using CoreAudio for sound, which is same engine I used for C64. Works great and overhead is minimal. OpenAL was buggy when I first started C64.
OpenAL still has bugs, but since All I need todo is queue up buffers, It doesn't bother me. But at least it works in the simulator nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarnie View Post
According to Apple's videos, docs and forums, OpenGL perf should now be closer to metal than Core Graphics. It was much slower on the MBX, but SGX is a completely different beast.

Yes, very happy with the results for little overhead. First time writing useful GLSL shaders, so that was fun
Yeah I noticed that, when I fired up some of my old code, it went at light speed. Might have to play with it some more.
Shaders are always fun, but a pain in the arse to debug. hehe.

Last edited by Vairn; 09 January 2011 at 10:08.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:22   #43
scarnie

Quote:
Shaders are always fun, but a pain in the arse to debug. hehe.
Just found this site, which allows you to experiment with OGL ES shaders if you have a WebGL equipped browser (Chrome 9b / Firefox 4b)

Old 09 January 2011, 22:48   #44
Vairn
The Grim-Button

hmm, nice find, have too play with it. hehe.
Have to look at if there is any overhead with openGL.