English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 February 2018, 11:19   #41
drluking

@grelbfarlk
OK thanks
I’m interested to use Rapture G4 (and Voodoo3, SB128, 100Mbps nic) in the incoming mediator PCI 4000Di 3v mk-III I’m waiting

very important: which one of these three carrier models I need ? or I need an other model ?:

- PCI2PMC:Standard PCI2PMC with VME [DIN] connector, no SCSI Connector.
- PCI2PMC-SCSI: PCI2PMC with SCSI connector, no VME [DIN]
- PCI2PMC-ME-HC: minimized PCI2PMC . If you are using a 32 bit PMC with front panel IO this version is for you.
Minimized features and reduced cost. 32 bit only and does not provide the "backplane IO" path [Jn4, SCSI and DIN IDC] HC option installed to use PCI 3.3V at PMC without regulator.

These carriers have full slot PCI X, so Rapture only in SLOT PCI1 or PCI3, right ? according with this image

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...69fe0ac83a.jpg

No more PCI slot free for SCSI, but for testing OK (I’ m using SCSI units in A4000 Tower, so It’ could be useful eventually)

@Hedeon
Dennis ?
Ok I’ll try for testing ;-)

need help to the carrier model :-) , thanks !!!
Old 05 February 2018, 23:10   #42
grelbfarlk

The only carriers I have tested are:
Technobox P/N 1447 (I converted carrier to 3.3V support since I have 5V only Mediator)
Ramix 239/F (does 3.3V conversion itself)
Old 10 February 2018, 23:31   #43
drluking

ok thanks

I have some questions about Mediator 4000Di 3v MK-III in A4000 desktop with SB11, after reading UnreliableGuide and SonnetAmiga guides:

- WINSIZE jumper, with only Voodoo3 16Mb PCI; Are there differences if this jumper is open o closed ?.
I would think to leave it closed.

- WINSIZE jumper, with Voodoo3 16Mb PCI and BigRamPlus 256Mb Zorro3; this jumper need to be closed, right ?

- SWAPCONFIG jumper, with only Voodoo3 16Mb PCI; Are there differences if this jumper is open o closed ?.
I would think to leave it closed.

- SWAPCONFIG jumper, with Voodoo3 16Mb PCI and BigRamPlus 256Mb Zorro3; this jumper need to be closed, right ?
According this http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/bigramplus BigRamPlus is DMA if present SB11

- VoodooMem VARIABLE --->>> 13 Mb, right ? (16Mb - 3Mb for system to operate in) or better 15 Mb ? (16Mb - 1Mb for system to operate in)
note I don't have at the moment Sonnet or Rapture installed.

- VoodooMemOS VARIABLE --->>> NO, right ?
note I have a 68060 with 128Mb, plus 16Mb in mainboard A4000, and eventually also BigRamPlus with other 256Mb, and don't have at the moment Sonnet or Rapture installed.

- VoodooInt VARIABLE --->>> YES
Exemple of games those need it ?

- pci.library --->>> 13.1 or 12.0 ?????
note I don't have at the moment Sonnet or Rapture installed.

I have also some questions about cards PCI:

- better ethernet Realtek 8139 (here C and D) or DFE-538TX (here rev. D2, E1 chip are DL10038, DL10038C, DL10038D).
In amibay I have seen someone used DFE-538TX rev E1 with chip DL10038D
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...lots-of-extras

- better Sound Blaster 128 CT4810 or Fortemedia 801 ? (here I have a card SP804 with chip Fortemedia FM801-AS) ; in Elbox website chipset is FM801-AU.

- I'd like to try spider.device 3.22 (a test with a my PCI card); could someone help me in PM please ?
Old 11 February 2018, 03:15   #44
grelbfarlk

Winsize jumper shouldn't matter, you can set it to 512 or 256, only should become a problem if you are using Radeon 256MB or have a lot of Zorro cards installed.

SWAPCONFIG can greatly affect the system. Usually the advice is leave it off or open unless you have Zorro cards. It is supposed to only be closed if you have a Zorro DMA card but I've found I had to close it with other Zorro-3 cards, I think Merlin was an example.

- VoodooMem VARIABLE --->>> 13 Mb this should be fine leaving 3MB for other PCI cards to use swap space. You are not likely to find situations where you need more than 13MB of VRAM.

- VoodooMemOS VARIABLE ---> No, this memory is not really useful as system memory.

- VoodooInt VARIABLE ---> YES, Warp3D software mainly will be faster and more stable

- pci.library ---> Either version should be fine for you.

- better ethernet Realtek 8139 -> This one is a crapshoot. I've tried a DLink card and it was ok but pretty slow. With a good Realtek chipset card you should get about 1.1MB/s transfer speeds. On some Dlink card I was using I was getting half that, but I couldn't tell you exactly which card it was. I'm using RTL8100C cards which work well.

- - better Sound Blaster 128 or Fortemedia 801. I don't think this matters all that much Fortemedia allows quad channel sound, which I've never played with since I don't know of any applications that actually support that. As in you can have front and rear speakers hooked up to different outputs. Mostly you'll find that this is only useful for music players as not many games play nicely with AHI at 16-bit with these cards.

I have both SB128 and FM801 in different systems and have not noticed much of a difference between them.

- Spider device - you do need either a real Elbox Spider card or you need to write a new firmware to the chip on the board. This can actually be done in software on a PC (so I've heard) otherwise you need to desolder the chip and burn an updated firmware.
Old 16 February 2018, 22:32   #45
drluking

HELP ! please
three days and no way to do working this mediator ... !
It works correctly and for exemple minutes and after a reboot no more PCI Voodoo3 (pciinfo) ... or strange freeze ..etc.. damn ...

I can use at the moment ONLY pci.library 13.1 and 9.11 ... because here there is no more 12.0 http://www.elbox.com/downloads_mediator.html#3rdparty ....
So please can someone tell me where can I download the 12.0 and/or 11.x / 10.x ... versions to test them. ?

I suspect my Mediator 4000Di have some hardware problem ... I have tried all possibile in three days ...
Any ideas ?

Old 16 February 2018, 22:41   #46
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

If cards disappear it isn't due to the version of the pci.library (9.11 is fine).

If only the voodoo card disappears it could be an overheating problem (of the voodoo) or a PSU problem or a mediator problem.
Old 17 February 2018, 03:39   #47
grelbfarlk

Like others said on the first page of the thread, I think there was a bad batch of 3.3V Mediators. But for starters, post your ENV:Mediator variables, your showconfig and more system specs. Also your jumper configuration on Mediator Swap On/Off (this is probably the important one). You might also contact Elbox.

You could also try DTACK like CMSJ mentioned in the mediator guide.

It kind of sounds like what CMSJ was experiencing where his Mediator would disappear after a reboot. Check the early start menu on bootup to see if it disappeared there.

I have also noticed IDE drives can interfere with the Mediator being detected. If I use a large CF with the original scsi.device for instance, or using a CF+CDROM with the original scsi.device.
Old 17 February 2018, 23:02   #48
drluking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
If cards disappear it isn't due to the version of the pci.library (9.11 is fine).

If only the voodoo card disappears it could be an overheating problem (of the voodoo) or a PSU problem or a mediator problem.
ok, so It's not important to try pci.library 12.x, 11.x, 10.x

- overheating problem of the voodoo, It could be possibile; note I have add a fan over the heatsink.
I'll try to add a second fan in the back of the card.

- PSU: no because I use an ATX and also tested with a second ATX (all with a lot of Ampere on +5V and +12V)

- mediator problem: It could be possibile ...
Old 17 February 2018, 23:22   #49
drluking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Like others said on the first page of the thread, I think there was a bad batch of 3.3V Mediators.
yes, I read about bad batch 3.3V mediators; mine taken from amigastore

Quote:
But for starters, post your ENV:Mediator variables, your showconfig and more system specs. Also your jumper configuration on Mediator Swap On/Off (this is probably the important one).
Warp3d = No
VoodooMen = 12
VoodooMenOS = No
VoodooInt = Yes and No // tested Yes and No, no differences
Buster = 11
FastEthernet = 0,3,4 //when inserted a RTL8139 PCI card tested these variables (because I have crash and freeze of TCP/IP stack (genesis) when used these PCI ethernet cards, while no problems if used an x-surf100 zorroIII ...)

jumper Master = CLOSED
jumper Winsize = OPEN
jumper Swapconfig = OPEN and CLOSED (tested with open and closed, no differences)

Quote:
You might also contact Elbox.
if not solved in next days, I'll contact Elbox and amigastore

Quote:
You could also try DTACK like CMSJ mentioned in the mediator guide.
ok, I'll try it

Quote:
It kind of sounds like what CMSJ was experiencing where his Mediator would disappear after a reboot. Check the early start menu on bootup to see if it disappeared there.
yes, I know about this problem, but It's no my case, in early amiga boot I see always the two references about mediator.
My problem is that I can use correctly mediator and Voodoo3 for minutes, but after sometimes I have a freeze complete or partial of the AmigaOS3.9 and sometimes after a normal reboot of the Amiga, pciinfo doesn't see anymore the Voodoo3 PCI card (so output in PAL mode), or sometimes after a complete freeze (and reboot needed) Amiga computer go in a full loop of reset ... and I need to poweroff it ... then after the poweron I dont' see anymore Voodoo3 PCI card.

Quote:
I have also noticed IDE drives can interfere with the Mediator being detected. If I use a large CF with the original scsi.device for instance, or using a CF+CDROM with the original scsi.device.
I'm using only a normal IDE/PATA HD of 80gb with scsi.device patched (device of AmigaOS3.9 boing bag 4 for A4000 desktop IDE)
I have no CD-ROM and no CF in this A4000
Old 17 February 2018, 23:54   #50
grelbfarlk

Also have you tried the Voodoo in different slots? Many times with PCI cards in a mediator the back plate keeps the card from fully inserting into the PCI slot.

Also clean the Voodoo edge connector with some Isopropyl Alcohol and wipe it with paper towel or the like.
Old 18 February 2018, 00:18   #51
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Cleaning the pci slot and the voodoo pci connector could help.

Edit: what was said in the posting above. But also clean inside the pci slot itself.

Edit2: I'm guessing voodoomen is a typo.

Edit3: you also need a file system which supports large disks like pfs or sfs. I recommend pfs3 and I see Toni updated it recently.

Last edited by Hedeon; 18 February 2018 at 00:23.
Old 18 February 2018, 00:28   #52
drluking

Quote:
Also have you tried the Voodoo in different slots? Many times with PCI cards in a mediator the back plate keeps the card from fully inserting into the PCI slot.
I have used at the moment the Voodoo3 in slot PCI4, PCI3 and PCI2 (now I'm using in slot PCI2, with a fan on the heatsink and now add an other fan on the back of the card, near the metallic square of the back GPU: and the Voodoo3 is completely fresh)

Quote:
Also clean the Voodoo edge connector with some Isopropyl Alcohol and wipe it with paper towel or the like.
yes, always done: I use first a white rubber and then a isopropyl alcohol for the contacts PCI of the Voodoo3 (and also used when tested SB128 and realtek 8139D)
Old 18 February 2018, 00:36   #53
drluking

Quote:
Cleaning the pci slot and the voodoo pci connector could help.

Edit: what was said in the posting above. But also clean inside the pci slot itself.
always done for every PCI and Zorro cards
Not done for the PCI slots itself, but note I have used PCI2, PCI3, PCI4 with Voodoo3 and I have these problems only with this card, for exemple if I connect a SB128 or realtek 8139D I always see them in all these PCI slots

Quote:
Edit2: I'm guessing voodoomen is a typo.
yes, VoodooMem variable (sorry )

Quote:
Edit3: you also need a file system which supports large disks like pfs or sfs. I recommend pfs3 and I see Toni updated it recently.
yes, in this A4000 I use some partitions PFS3AIO, and in other ones FFS; the boot partion of AmigaOS3.9 BB4 is in PFS3AIO filesystem.

In my next post (few minutes, time write it) I'll tell you more details of this evening ...
Old 18 February 2018, 00:58   #54
drluking

ok guys, this is my test done this evening after read your last posts:

(Voodoo3 in PCI2 slot with two fans -->> full fresh card. And x-surf100 in a Zorro3 slot)

- power on Amiga, all perfect I can use AmigaOS3.9 BB4 in 800x600 16 bit, or change it in 640x480 16bit, I can surfing with Ibrowse (genesis stack TCP/IP) -->> all It's OK, no problem.
If I go in shell (pciinfo) i see my Voodoo3 card.
And in showconfig I see prod=2206/161 size 256meg , prod=2206/33 size 16meg , prod of 060 cpu card, and prod=4626/100 size 64meg of x-surf 100
I have add now on the top of startup-sequence the "dtack" command
ALL OK !.

- now I do CTRL+AMIGA+AMIGA key press (normal soft reboot of the Amiga) and then after the boot of the OS I have PAL output --> no more Voodoo3 .........
If I go in shell (pciinfo) "No PCI devices in Mediator".
And in showconfig all correct, I see again prod=2206/161 size 256meg , prod=2206/33 size 16meg , prod of 060 cpu card, and prod=4626/100 size 64meg of x-surf 100

- now I do again CTRL+AMIGA+AMIGA key press, and go in Amiga early boot, and It's all ok, I see:
manufacter 2206 product 161, manufacter 2206 product 33, manufacter of 060 CPU and of x-surf 100.

- boot again, and again in the OS I have PAL output and no Voodoo3 ...

- again reboot and same as, in the OS I have PAL output and no Voodoo3 ...

- again reboot and now I have Voodoo3 working and I can use AmigaOS3.9 BB4 in 800x600 16 bit --->> fantastic I think

- reboot again, and again in the OS I have PAL output and no Voodoo3 ...

- again reboot and same as, in the OS I have PAL output and no Voodoo3 ...

- then I have power off the Amiga

note:
I'm using at the moment the x-surf100 Zorro3 because I have had lot of problems with PCI ethernet in this mediator (tried, 8130D, 8139C and a Dlink); with all of these three cards if I try to use for exemple a simple FTP transfer the system stop of working, or I need to run again stack TCP/IP or a complete freeze of the Amiga !!!!! while if I use the x-surf100 Zorro3 I have no problem all the FTP trasfer work perfectly.
When Amiga freeze completly, after a reboot It goes into a continuous loop of resets and it is therefore necessary to switch it off.
For this reason I'm using at the moment the x-surf100 ethernet and not other PCI ethernet cards.

Last edited by drluking; 18 February 2018 at 01:10.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:14   #55
grelbfarlk

I'm pretty sure the 100MB PCI Ethernet card requires the Voodoo memory window to be present to work. The 10MB RTL 8029 driver I don't think requires the PCI GFX Memory window to be present.

This sounds more and more like CMSJ's problem, but in your case the Voodoo is disappearing instead of the whole Mediator.

The DTACK test was also making CMSJ's system to temporarily work as well. Normally people don't use the DTACK program to get a working Mediator system.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:19   #56
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

You sure you have a 16MB Voodoo3 card?
Old 18 February 2018, 02:32   #57
grelbfarlk

The other thing that comes to mind is something is patching a ROM module on first boot, and becomes active on reboot, but that's not really that likely to make the Voodoo not show up in PCIInfo.

Wait you have BB4? Do you have card.resource being loaded? Check your startup sequence for loadmodule or loadresident card.resource. Or see if it is located in DEVS: or L: , I can't remember where it was going.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:00   #58
drluking

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the 100MB PCI Ethernet card requires the Voodoo memory window to be present to work.
yes, It's correct; the two RTL8139 PCI cards tested (and also sound SB128 PCI) need Voodoo memory window

Quote:
The 10MB RTL 8029 driver I don't think requires the PCI GFX Memory window to be present.
I forgot to mention that I also tried an RTL 8029AS 10Mbps PCI card, but no way to make it work with MediatorNET.device
When run stack TCP/IP (genesis) It doesn't go online and Amiga is not more usable (need to reboot Amiga).

VendorID: $10ec
VendorName: Realtek Audio/Lan Maker
DeviceID: $8029
DeviceName: RTL8028 PCI Full-Duplex Ethernet Controller with PnP Function
ClassCode: $20000
RevisionID: $0
InterruptPin: 3
SubsystemVendorID: $0
SubsystemID: $0
IOSpace0: $50c06100 - $50c0611f

Quote:
This sounds more and more like CMSJ's problem, but in your case the Voodoo is disappearing instead of the whole Mediator.
ok

Quote:
The DTACK test was also making CMSJ's system to temporarily work as well. Normally people don't use the DTACK program to get a working Mediator system.
ok

Last edited by drluking; 18 February 2018 at 11:21.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:09   #59
drluking

Quote:
You sure you have a 16MB Voodoo3 card?
It's a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI (16 MB SGRAM) Graphics Card exactly this one done in "Mexico"
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...iXH/s-l225.jpg

but a thing interesting, MemSpace0 is 32Mb and MemSpace1 also 32Mb ; Is It correct ?

pciinfo

Pci Device 1:
VendorID: $121a
VendorName: 3dfx Interactive Inc
DeviceID: $5
DeviceName: Voodoo3 All Voodoo3 chips, 3000
ClassCode: $30000
RevisionID: $1
InterruptPin: 2
SubsystemVendorID: $121a
SubsystemID: $36
MemSpace0: $40000000 - $41ffffff
MemSpace1: $42000000 - $43ffffff

IOSpace2: $50c06000 - $50c060ff
RomSpace: $44000000 - $44007fff

Last edited by drluking; 18 February 2018 at 11:37.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:14   #60
drluking

Quote:
The other thing that comes to mind is something is patching a ROM module on first boot, and becomes active on reboot, but that's not really that likely to make the Voodoo not show up in PCIInfo.

Wait you have BB4? Do you have card.resource being loaded? Check your startup sequence for loadmodule or loadresident card.resource. Or see if it is located in DEVS: or L: , I can't remember where it was going.
I know of this problem (card.resource in A4000) but I don't have it in my startup-sequence , this is mine (and my scsi.device is 43.45 included in boing bag4):

SYS:C/remapolloscsi.exe
SYS:C/dtack

If Exists C:IDEFix
C:IDEFix
EndIf

FailAt 21
C:LoadResident >NIL: DEVS:trackdisk.device L:KingCON-Handler
FailAt 20

C:LoadModule >NIL: DEVS:scsi.device DEVS:battmem.resource DEVS:console.device DEVS:FileSystem.resource DEVS:misc.resource DEVSotgo.resource L:FastFileSystem L:Ram-Handler L:Shell-Seg LIBS:dos.library LIBS:layers.library REVERSE NOREBOOT
C:SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES scsi.device,console.device,dos,filesystem,FileSystem.resource,ram-handler,shell QUIET