English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 April 2013, 13:54   #21
diablothe2nd

i use my 360 pad when playing via uae, and to be honest the dpad sucks monkey balls for any serious gaming which requires accurate and quick responses.

if i didn't have a genuine amiga i'd definitely look for something along the lines of a 9pin to usb adapter that has the least lag, and a pad from the days i was most comfortable with.

if your serious about it, i think the catweasel has joystick ports built in. also lets you use a real floppy drive if you've still got some disks lying around for that more authentic feel... but it's a fair whack in pocket money if its just joypad support you need
Old 06 April 2013, 14:46   #22
fishyfish
Banned

Unfortunately I learned the hard (expensive) way that buying a catweasel hoping to use it for 9pin joysticks when using emulation is a waste of money. Drivers are terrible and will crash, not to mention a complete lack of 64bit drivers.

Great bit of hardware, but as seems to be the Individual Computers way software support made it a massive disappointment making the hardware not do what its meant to do very well as often as not.
Old 06 April 2013, 14:51   #23
diablothe2nd

wow! i was considering making an AROS box out of my spare A1200 case and keyboard, and somehow putting this catweasel in it. i think i'll pass on it now!
Old 06 April 2013, 17:36   #24
fishyfish
Banned

Actually, I should clarify that in the above post by me regarding catweasel I was referring to Windows/winuae.
I actually bought it hoping to use it with my amithlon box, only to find out that there's no drivers at all for joystick support for AmigaOS3.x.
While disappointed I decided instead to use it with my AROS box, only to discover that AROS only has support for Catweasel mk4, and mine is a mk3 (zorro/pci flipper card).
As a last resort I decided to give it a try on Windows/Winuae, only to discover how bad these drivers are (and a browse online revealed that this is the case for both mk3 and 4).

While I have no experience with the Catweasel joystick support for aros/os4.x/mos I do know theyre (drivers) written by someone else (Ian/spiranto) so it's quite possible/probable the above doesnt apply.

On the plus side of my own experiences, at least it gives me the ability to write "amiga" floppies. Something my a1200 cant do (only reads).
Old 06 April 2013, 18:15   #25
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
it gives me the ability to write "amiga" floppies. Something my a1200 cant do (only reads).
wow... i would like to ask why you went the catweasel route instead of just getting another DD FD from amikit or vesalia or the like but i dont want to derail the thread (if you want to satisfy my curiosity though a PM would be welcome )
Old 06 April 2013, 19:37   #26
JonSick

I came in to chime the virtues of the XBox 360 controller. I have the wireless ones and it's great.

I have one upstairs for PC gaming and two downstairs on my media PC for party games. Nothing like a pizza/beer induced Mario Kart frenzy.
Old 07 April 2013, 04:35   #27
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
wow... i would like to ask why you went the catweasel route instead of just getting another DD FD from amikit or vesalia or the like but i dont want to derail the thread (if you want to satisfy my curiosity though a PM would be welcome )
A little thread derailment never hurt
It's vaguely on topic anyway. I bought it thinking it'd give me 9pin joystick support (a reasonable assumption given it has 9pin joystick/mouse ports) for amithlon, which unfortunately wasnt the case. Being able to use amiga floppies under amithlon (I have hundreds of amiga magazine cover floppies) was a secondary consideration that just happened to be the only useful thing that works. Id have never bought it at all had I known this was the case, as my a1200 floppy drive eing able to read suffices %99 of the time.

As for xbox360 wireless controllers, can anyone tell me please how a person can use them on a computer? Im quite fond of them (as are Nintendo apparently,... the Wii U joypads look nigh on identical). I assume theres some sort of dongle/receiver needed?

Last edited by fishyfish; 07 April 2013 at 04:42.
Old 07 April 2013, 21:07   #28
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
As for xbox360 wireless controllers, can anyone tell me please how a person can use them on a computer?
There is a PC-version of the X-Box controller available. I am in the need of a new WinUAE controller now, too, because:

Saitek P150: this was my controller for the last couple of years and is perfect for my needs with good steering-cross BUT: IT BENT MY FINGERS! I always wondered why my fingers are bent and now I have found out, that all of these ergonomic stuff will bend your fingers and I wonder if that would also be a problem with the X-Box-controller. I game almost every day at least one hour, and is there a hardcore-X-Box-gamer who could tell me about that?!

Speedlink Competition Pro USB: I had those for a while but faced problems after half a year of gaming. I once opened one of it´s micro-switches to find out why that is and noticed that they are somewhat burned inside like there have been electric arcs or something. I bought a real classic Competition Pro and used it´s micro-switches in the Speedlink with the same result. So I stopped using them on a WinUAE-PC.
Old 07 April 2013, 21:34   #29
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

or get an adapter for 360 wireless pad

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...apter&_sacat=0
Old 07 April 2013, 21:45   #30
diablothe2nd

Quote:
I assume theres some sort of dongle/receiver needed?
correct. and John has shared what you need to get to make wireless 360 pads work on PC.

I should add that they're actually really good. i've never had any lag and the range is excellent. the only downside (if it is one) is the silver xbox home button no longer works as a mappable button. it just brings up a little battery indication on screen. A bit of a shame as it'd have been great as a home button for FS UAE, but the back button serves that purpose too and the CD32 pad doesn't have a "select" button like the PS or Nintendos of old so at least your not short of a button for it

also.. in FS UAE your are able to use both the left analogue stick or the dpad without changing profiles. which comes in handy for those games that need alot of diagonal button presses, as i stated earlier i think the dpad sucks in this respect.
Old 07 April 2013, 22:21   #31
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

yea i have 2 of the dongles 1 upstairs and 1 down

great for emulation
Old 07 April 2013, 22:33   #32
Zak
Zap´em

But why would I by an adapter if there is a Windows version of it? And what about the fingers, can you tell, guys?
Old 19 April 2013, 22:30   #33
John Pillow

Using both an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows (in conjunction with http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Pro...x360Controller) under OSX and FS-UAE - works like a charm - and a Competition Pro USB (but mainly for Speedball II). But i must admit, would love a Konix Speedking Joystick with an USB adaptor, brings back memories... :-)
Old 24 May 2013, 13:41   #34
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
nah they are terrible... feel nothing like a real ps2/ps3 controller

I would recommend a Wired Xbox 360 pad, seems to be the most supported pad... I have one and....

http://www.playrepublic.co.uk/SPEEDL...ix_SL-6603-TWT

and...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...4968&_from=R40

most things are covered by that combination (all work in windows 7)
As mentioned above, my X-box 360 works like a charm.
Old 25 May 2013, 10:18   #35
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

there is also the keyrah mk2 to think about just released see amigakit