English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 May 2011, 20:53   #61
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Thing is, Rons surprise at the cracks being a 'normal disk format'...... what else would they be?
The first Silkworm version I got (from Accumulators/TSK Crew) had to be nibbled copied. The scroller credits it being pseudo-cracked, so maybe Ron thought Ninja Warriors would be released in a similar manner?
Old 25 May 2011, 21:39   #62
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Crabfists: Email mostly with the odd facebook or linkedin message here and there!
Old 05 July 2011, 21:29   #63
Codetapper

To coincide with the release of Battle Squadron ONE on iOS, I'm proud to present my latest interview with Martin Pedersen, the author of Hybris, Battle Squadron and one level of Hugo! Enjoy...
Old 05 July 2011, 23:17   #64
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Once again, a great interview. Thanks a lot, Codetapper!
Old 08 July 2011, 10:03   #65
vroom6sri

Another fascinating interview. I don't understand half of the tech stuff but it's still very enjoyable to read. Also, this made me actually load up Hybris which I had never previously played and I was thoroughly impressed. It's a great blaster. The sound effects are especially satisftying from a destruction point of view!
Old 08 July 2011, 10:17   #66
Skope
Protracker

Good stuff again Codey. Hybris holds a special place in my diskbox. Enjoyed the read very much.
Old 08 July 2011, 17:38   #67
demoniac

Nice interview. I was always curious why the Battle Squadron ending was in B&W as opposed to the demo that was in color.
Old 11 November 2011, 02:34   #68
Codetapper

I have been asked recently a few times about sprite multiplexing so I've added a page about the way Saint Dragon uses the effect to my website for anyone interested!

I will post another interview soon too!
Old 11 November 2011, 08:17   #69
pmc
gone

Codetapper: good and full description mate, nice one.

One thing though, to me, what you describe is sprite re-use rather than sprite multiplexing. It sounds very like what gets done to display a sprite starfield in many demos - it's what I did in this prod: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=57307 where the whole starfield is made of three sprites.

I've always thought of real sprite multiplexing as needing to be a little more clever and complex - like a bit of code that decides which sprites can be used to display which bits of sprite data at any one time such that multiple sprites can be displayed at various horizontal and vertical positions without the "sprite goes invisible" issue you mention in your Saint Dragon description.

Do you know of any games that do something like that?

I've been thinking about this recently - maybe it's time for me to mess around with coding a sprite multiplexer and see if this type of thing is possible.
Old 11 November 2011, 13:25   #70
Amiga Forever

Hey Codetapper

Can you try Interview Jon Hare(Would like to know how did he put All the League, Players data just 2 Floppy Disk as it put FIFA games to shame really!) and Manfred Trenz(Would like to know how on earth did he put All the Levels on just 64k!)

Old 12 November 2011, 00:20   #71
Codetapper

@PMC: I think Andrew Braybrook mentioned this in one of his interviews, but I can't think which game he referred to. Basically he decided which objects could be drawn with sprites at the time and if so, would do so. Otherwise would fall back to using the blitter. I seem to remember when an object was moving he would draw it as a sprite and when it had finished, it'd be blitted down once.

As for sprite multiplexing vs re-use, they're really very similar to me. Either you move the sprite position registers on the same line as in Jim Power (and if you can handle a gap, change the data aswell), or you re-use the sprite channel at a new location as in St Dragon (which is effectively moving a new sprite position anyway). It's still putting more than 8 sprites on the screen which is what sprite multiplexing was on the C64 etc.

@Amiga Forever: Manfred would be a great one, but he didn't do much of the Amiga versions from memory.
Old 15 November 2011, 15:52   #72
pmc
gone

Hey Codetapper

regarding our brief sprite multiplexing discussion, check the attached article - read from the Tricks and Treats paragraph.

Might be worth you checking out Battle Squadron and how it handles sprites - sounds like it might do something a little more clever than vertical multiplexing / re-use only.

Last edited by pmc; 04 August 2012 at 11:56.
Old 16 November 2011, 16:46   #73
khph_re

Great stuff, I love hearing how they did these tricks.
Any chance of an analysis of Bill Williams games? such as pioneer plague and knights of the crystallion?. I'd love to know how he got so many colours on screen, and why the technique was never used by anyone else. Sadly I know there will be no interview, as he passed away

Last edited by khph_re; 16 November 2011 at 16:52.
Old 16 November 2011, 18:05   #74
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
Great stuff, I love hearing how they did these tricks.
Any chance of an analysis of Bill Williams games? such as pioneer plague and knights of the crystallion?. I'd love to know how he got so many colours on screen, and why the technique was never used by anyone else. Sadly I know there will be no interview, as he passed away
I haven't played either but I thought I heard somewhere that Pioneer Plague was written to use HAM mode somehow.
Old 16 November 2011, 19:04   #75
Codetapper

@pmc: That's exactly the method that St Dragon is using. Silkworm and SWIV also do it that way.
Old 19 January 2012, 22:25   #76
Codetapper

There's an analysis of the display setup for Shadow of the Beast available in the sprite tricks section of my website for those that maybe interested.
Old 19 January 2012, 22:50   #77
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
There's an analysis of the display setup for Shadow of the Beast available in the sprite tricks section of my website for those that maybe interested.
Cool, thanks.
Old 20 January 2012, 07:43   #78
Cammy

Awesome, that was a very interesting read like all the pages on your site. Thank you so much for showing us all how it was done so we can follow in the footsteps of these geniuses and make more awesome games that use the hardware the way it should be used.

Old 20 January 2012, 11:26   #79
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Shadow of the Beast bad sprites won't appear if Agnus is OCS model. (Bad sprite ending y coordinate, one of the new bits introduced in ECS Agnus are set)

EDIT: Use of "od" debugger command (adds hpos/vpos position pairs) probably would make copper list dumps easier to understand.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 20 January 2012 at 14:31.
Old 20 January 2012, 20:23   #80
Codetapper

Thanks for that tip about OCS, I'll update the page with the information!