English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 September 2001, 00:31   #21
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzkat
Haohmaru? Pah! Genjuro beats him hands down

I love the Samurai Showdown games too, but I reckon King of Fighters 2000 is better.
Of course, the most *abusive* character in SS2 was Charlotte, who could kick anyone else's ass, repeatedly. Yes, she had a sissy projectile weapon, a near-useless slashing special attack, and a halfway decent "dragon punch" maneuver. What really made her the best character, though ws her *obnoxious* range with her fierce attacks. I had a NEO-GEO home system & me & my roommate played the living hell out of that game. He played a lot of chamcham and was overly fond of doing the "jump at you & scratch you face off" maneuver, many times getting me with a crossover. Boy that ticked me off.

Strategically, it was fun playing Hanzo or Galford, and it was always *hilarious* if you could actually connect with Galford's super (basically, his dog really screws you up). Too bad that some of the supers took so long to come out that they were practically useless.
Old 15 September 2001, 01:50   #22
Akira

ChamCham is the typical 'annoying but cute' character

I don't know what the deal is with specials in SS2, but they are hard to pull off... Newer vrsions of the Samurai Spirit games allowed you to pull them off easier.

SS2 is my FAVE Samurai series game, while SS4 comes second. I love the suicide move in the later
Old 15 September 2001, 02:19   #23
DPainter

Stick out tongue Gayest Character - Let's Top Fred's!

Fred, this weekend I intend to sift through some ADFs and uncover a gayest character who will beat your very formidable Doug-Henning-sans-body-hair-man-in-tights. I challenge others to try as well. I don't know about you, but I think this will be a funny retro way to avoid watching so much depressing TV news.

My first impulse was to look at one of the Faery Tale Adventure brothers, but they don't even approach your character. I know what I'm looking for, however, so I offer these tips to those who aren't so
sure what to look for in a potential gayest character:

lacks facial hair
features solid pinkish color skin
has long or blonde hair
absolutely 2D (that means no pecs, no chin and definitely no armadillos)
wears ruffles
wears pointed shoes
has overly red lips
stars in a game with a cutesy title
stars in a game that sounds like cheesy heavy metal band
does not have a heroine
is an Atari ST port

Good luck, men!
Old 15 September 2001, 03:30   #24
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Charlotte was a babe, and I used her a little in SS1. But I was frustrated with her triangular slashing attacks in SS2, that's why I changed to the lethal Genjuro

But I found the game pretty easy to complete using Earthquake:eek His crouching heavy punch attack inflicted heaps of damage, and you could do it over and over!
Old 15 September 2001, 03:53   #25
Akira

I am experiencing seudo-SAmurai Shodown style of gameplay now while playing Guilty Gear Petit (the port of Guilty Gear X for the WonderSwan Color)... It really is a great game! And quite refreshing too, I havent played a SamSho type fighter for ages.

Of course, Last Blade reduces ANY Samurai Shodown game to smithereens

I would take on your challenge DPainter, but since my meega monitor is broken, I cant I cant look at colors without that monitor.
Old 15 September 2001, 11:03   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

DPainter, that is just too funny. You will have to suffice in APFelon's absence (sigh...come back, APF!!!).

I was thinking Keef The Thief until I read the armadillo part, so he's out (no pun intended) although I think he is gayer than anything on here to date. Nicky Boom is pretty gay, but I reckon he can get away with that since he's a kid. But if I were Kid Chaos, I'd beat him up on the way to school and stomp on his accordion.
Old 15 September 2001, 14:57   #27
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Kid Gloves 2

The bloke from Kid Gloves 2 has lipstick and long blonde hair - they even changed his name from 'Little Beau' to try and make him more masculine!
Attached Images

Old 15 September 2001, 14:59   #28
Amigaboy

hehe. I was JUST about to go and get a screenshot of him so I could post it....

His sword looks like a tube of lipstick. He's holding it up like he's either proud of his cool lipstick, or just finished using it

Old 15 September 2001, 17:32   #29
Akira

It might as well be a dildo :P
Old 15 September 2001, 17:58   #30
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I would like to say that all this Homophobia is just too much me. They are people after all! Just coz they have a different sexual preference than us (or so I assume) doesn't mean you should take the piss out of them! They can't help being rectum raiders!

Anyway the gayest character of all time is in Bare Knuckle 3 on the Meagdrive. He was taken out of the European version, Streets of Rage. He wore a quality black cap and thigh length boots! It was definitely a block as he had a beard! Though that doesnt necessarily mean he was a bloke when I think of some of the women I have witnessed in the past!

I think this character was an end of level boss, it was on the level with the sea in the background and little dingys would come along and the bad guys would jump out for the kill. Does anyone else remember this? If they have this version on a Megadrive emulator I would be so happy to see a picture of it again!
Old 16 September 2001, 02:57   #31
Akira

We are not taking the piss out of the gay community, we are taking the piss out of computer game sprites that look tremendously ridculous and affeminated (mispell?:P)

besides, Homophobia = phobia to man, not to homosexual people
Old 16 September 2001, 06:57   #32
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

well, actually homo can be "man" or "of the same kind", it depends if you take in the latin or the greek side.. (I am not sure about the latter)

@bombjacker
I think you're talking about the 1st boss of Streets Of Rage 2 (He reappears in SoR 3, just don't remember in which stage)

I'll take a screenshot later...
Old 16 September 2001, 13:12   #33
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

@Akira you are taking me too seriously! Please don't! If you re-read the message you might notice that I was just taking the piss! BTW Homophobia in the English language does mean a fear of poofs! I do live in the country of it's origin after all!
Old 16 September 2001, 20:09   #34
Akira

Yes I saw you were taking the piss out of them but I wanted to clear that up anyway, just in case our homosexual readers might get offended (you thgink there are none?)

Oh wekll, yes, big booboo there with the HOmo thing :P whatever! it was just pointless nitpicking
Old 16 September 2001, 22:42   #35
LaundroMat

Aw.. A serious reply *shudder*

Speaking of Valhalla. Vulcan Software's still at it at http://www.vulcan.co.uk/

That Carrington dude made some nice things over the years.
Old 17 September 2001, 08:19   #36
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
His sword looks like a tube of lipstick. He's holding it up like he's either proud of his cool lipstick, or just finished using it
No way That is indeed a knife, cause he wants to cutt off his lips after the evil daemon forced him to be a woman from now on
Old 17 September 2001, 17:41   #37
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I was thinking Keef The Thief until I read the armadillo part, so he's out (no pun intended) although I think he is gayer than anything on here to date. Nicky Boom is pretty gay, but I reckon he can get away with that since he's a kid. But if I were Kid Chaos, I'd beat him up on the way to school and stomp on his accordion.
I first checked some of the old karate games, most of which were made before artists understood concepts like contrast. There's plenty of goofy karate dudes who look like they're built from two flavors of Pop Tarts. But none approached Fred's character. I found myself growing so desperate that I started loading educational titles. I realize that is something of a cop out, but it's the only place I could find my potential winning entry, Mr. Squiggle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squiggle.gif
Views:	644
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	717  
Old 17 September 2001, 18:06   #38
Akira

OMG!

Bwahaha, look at that!
Old 17 September 2001, 18:16   #39
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Eek

I pray all of you overseas people have never had the torture of watching Mr Squiggle on T.V. You have brought back vile nightmare's!!!:eek :eek :eek
Old 17 September 2001, 23:29   #40
Amigaboy

Mr Squiggle! The man from the moon!

He drew stuff upside down ya know...Let's see y'all do that.