English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 26 November 2009, 03:34   #1
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Should i stay or should i sell?

I've just returned here from a while of absense and after a torrid year i've lost interest in retro computers and all the one's i've got!

i've got a couple Amiga 1200's plus some good add on's as well as a C64c with diskdrive and i've been thinking i never use them anymore so should i sell!

At the moment i'm in need of a laptop/netbook but don't have the financial clout to get one! but if i sold my stuff i have then maybe either might be possible!

all my friends here know about my loss and i'm not harking for any sympathy but i need to get things into perspective! i'm trying to rebuild my life i know should i feel the urge i can play winuae and i also know it's not quite the same so the question is should i sell or should i keep?

any insight would be helpfull thanks
Old 26 November 2009, 03:43   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
keep them (at least one 1200). You'll always want to come back. guaranteed. Don't waste your money trying to rebuy the stuff you would've sold.
Old 26 November 2009, 03:56   #3
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Thanks coze for me the c64c is very unlikely to get plugged in ever again however the Amiga might i have 2 of these one is quite well equipped and the other needs some tlc if i kept the tlc one it shouldn't be too difficult to repair get it setup again should i need it!

The good A1200 i have has a scandoubler (so works on a pc crt screen!) as well as pc joystick/mouse adaptor (trilogic) and it even works with optical mice, it also has a blizzard mk3 i think with at least 32mb of ram! plus hard drive and 3.1 kickstart chips given to me by Zetro so i think it might raise a few quid and i'd not be totally out of the game!
Old 26 November 2009, 04:58   #4
Photon

Yeah, it's a good idea to sell computers you have no plans for, but that others could enjoy. But it's also a good idea to keep the Amiga you've used most, the nostalgia bug could bite at any moment! hehe.

I'm thinking about buying a Lenovo S12 at the moment, it's perfect for me. Doesn't mean it's perfect for you, but check it out if you want. Sane and light-weight and cheap. If you need HDMI, make sure you don't get the non-HDMI version. (Well, duh!) Just a heads-up.
Old 26 November 2009, 10:19   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Maxine has gone? So sorry to hear about that mate.

What spec laptop you need? I've got a few old Dell Pentium III ones here I could push your way free. They have no commercial value (i.e. you wouldn't be able to sell one to raise money) but if all you're after is a portable computer which can run XP, just PM me your address.

Remember to delete / save your WHDload key if you sell your A1200's
Old 26 November 2009, 12:46   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Put it in a box and store it away some where... YOU WILL at some stage want to use an Amiga again and you will end up buying stuff back at double the price from ebay if you don't keep it.

I was in a similar situation myself not so long ago...
As time goes on things do get better mate.
Old 26 November 2009, 13:43   #7
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Maxine has gone? So sorry to hear about that mate.

What spec laptop you need? I've got a few old Dell Pentium III ones here I could push your way free. They have no commercial value (i.e. you wouldn't be able to sell one to raise money) but if all you're after is a portable computer which can run XP, just PM me your address.

Remember to delete / save your WHDload key if you sell your A1200's
Really great attention here Alexh , fantastic
Old 26 November 2009, 14:16   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I knew Sarek IRL between 1990-1993.

He helped me back then with my Amiga stuff, only right I return the favours now if I can.
Old 26 November 2009, 15:21   #9
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Thats an Amazing offer Alex thanks i'll pm you about it! My Retro bug might of waned a little but my Retro hang outs Abay/E.a.b never will thanks to everyone for their advice.
Old 26 November 2009, 15:30   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I almost sold all my Amiga Kit when I first joined this site (the reason a joined was to get an idea of value)

It had been in my loft for 5 years and I never thought I would use it again.

I had no idea there was such a strong community still for the Amiga and great steps forward such as Classic WB and WHDLoad.

I am so pleased I kept my Amiga and recently upgraded with an 030 accelerator, it would have been a big mistake to sell.

Steve.
Old 26 November 2009, 20:22   #11
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Oi Sarek2k!! You were one of the first members here that I had a PM conversation with... Don't go or will have to hunt you and the other Red Dwarfs down