English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 March 2013, 19:53   #1
Coltch

1084S or LCD TV

Is it worth getting a 1084S/Phillips CRT for my A500/A1200's or should I just stay using my LCD via SCART?.

I have a 1084 but unfortunately it keeps tripping the power so I think it needs to go.

Currently have an LCD linked up with a SCART cable but the picture/sound just doesn't compare to the 1084 (Sound is crap compared to the 1084).

just looking for opinions from fellow Amiga users before I go and splash some cash.
Old 17 March 2013, 19:58   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

For me a real Amiga monitor is best. I have tried all options and I even have an Indi which gives me an excellent picture for workbench on my flat screen PC monitor. For games however nothing looks better than a real Amiga monitor - I have a philips and a couple of old Commodores - I would not part with any of them - I just don't like the look you get from an Amiga via a scart cable on a modern LCD.
Old 17 March 2013, 20:07   #3
moijk
License to Bubble

For me, CRTs is a part of the retro hobby. To me, it doesn't look right on a LCD.
Old 17 March 2013, 20:17   #4
Coltch

Hmm looks like I'm gonna get a new screen, I just wish there were some old fashioned TV repair shops about to look at my 1084 they only deal with LCD's now.

Is there much difference between the 1084 and the Phillips CM monitors?
Old 17 March 2013, 21:12   #5
utri007
mä vaan

I've two LCD-TVs to use with my amigas and never looked back I really don't understand scandoublers or flickerfixers now, when LCD-TV does same without hasle.

With LCD-TV you will get new use to your amigas, when hires modes are clean and flicker free. I like to tinkering with wb settings and paint programs. LCD or CRT is really much what you like to do with your amigas, though with LCD-TVs you can do anything, when with CRT you can't. CRT is more or less nostalgic choise.
Old 23 March 2013, 15:08   #6
Hewitson

Get yourself a 68cm flat screen Trinitron. Commodore monitors suck. Poor quality and far too small.
Old 23 March 2013, 15:36   #7
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Get yourself a 68cm flat screen Trinitron. Commodore monitors suck. Poor quality and far too small.
Old 23 March 2013, 15:55   #8
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Completely agree. Get a 24" Sony Triniton, I got mine on ebay for 50 pence. They make perfect monitors.
Old 26 March 2013, 04:12   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, and now let's say that you've got a 24" or 27" monitor, and you don't have an indivision...

What is the best screen mode you can use?
Old 27 March 2013, 13:48   #10
SS454
Banned

Giant Trinitron TV as an Amiga monitor?

What, you broke your glasses and need the pixels to be the size of housebricks?
Old 27 March 2013, 14:17   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, and now let's say that you've got a 24" or 27" monitor, and you don't have an indivision...

What is the best screen mode you can use?
PAL or NTSC are your only options and you'd find it hard to connect the Amiga to a regular PC monitor since it won't normally work with the VGA input.
The cheapest option would be to get some kind of RGB->HDMI converter. I bought one on ebay a few weeks ago and expect to receive it in about a week. Was only $40, so might be a good option if you're not willing to pay big bucks for an Indivision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
My Amiga picture looks great on my 50" plasma using SCART, and I'm sure it would look great on a real CRT, even if it's a monster 32". It only means that you don't have to sit 50 cm from the screen when you're using it.
Old 27 March 2013, 17:15   #12
orange

when comparing colour quality, nothing beats CRT.
I've tried almost all combinations, LCD, plasma, PIV, amber, picture just isn't as vivid as with 1084(S).
Old 27 March 2013, 19:29   #13
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
PAL or NTSC are your only options and you'd find it hard to connect the Amiga to a regular PC monitor since it won't normally work with the VGA input.
The cheapest option would be to get some kind of RGB->HDMI converter. I bought one on ebay a few weeks ago and expect to receive it in about a week. Was only $40, so might be a good option if you're not willing to pay big bucks for an Indivision.

My Amiga picture looks great on my 50" plasma using SCART, and I'm sure it would look great on a real CRT, even if it's a monster 32". It only means that you don't have to sit 50 cm from the screen when you're using it.
you really don't need an RGB > HDMI adapter because if your TV or monitor have HDMI input also your amiga will work through a cheap VGA adapter

HDMI input= pal and ntsc modes working through normal VGA adapter

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183
Old 27 March 2013, 21:37   #14
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
you really don't need an RGB > HDMI adapter because if your TV or monitor have HDMI input also your amiga will work through a cheap VGA adapter

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183
that won't work with (most) games. hdmi is digital, converting analogue VGA/RGB to it isn't cheap
Old 27 March 2013, 22:04   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Like Orange wrote, HDMI is digital and the Amiga only has analog outputs (if you ignore the digital RGB output which can't really be used).

I have a 2408WFP monitor which has almost all kinds of inputs, VGA, DVI, Displayport, HDMI, Composite, Svideo and even Component, however the only way to connect it to a plain Amiga and having it work in PAL and NTSC modes is the composite which has horrible quality. I'm hoping to get a decent picture on this monitor using the RGB->HDMI converter I bought. An alternative could be an RGB->Component converter but they're also quite expensive.
Old 28 March 2013, 04:47   #16
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Like Orange wrote, HDMI is digital and the Amiga only has analog outputs (if you ignore the digital RGB output which can't really be used).

I have a 2408WFP monitor which has almost all kinds of inputs, VGA, DVI, Displayport, HDMI, Composite, Svideo and even Component, however the only way to connect it to a plain Amiga and having it work in PAL and NTSC modes is the composite which has horrible quality. I'm hoping to get a decent picture on this monitor using the RGB->HDMI converter I bought. An alternative could be an RGB->Component converter but they're also quite expensive.
but have u tried tried the normal VGA adapter on ur dell monitor ? ..should work in pal and ntsc

otherwise any LCD TV with VGA input also will work with VGA adapter in PAL and NTSC
generally the image is very sharp and flickerfree....good for workbench and apps but not really good for games because they look so blocky or pixelated
Amiga games were designed to look good in TVs or in commodore' monitors
Old 28 March 2013, 06:42   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
but have u tried tried the normal VGA adapter on ur dell monitor ? ..should work in pal and ntsc
otherwise any LCD TV with VGA input also will work with VGA adapter in PAL and NTSC
I haven't tried it since I don't have such an adapter, but I'm 99% certain it won't work since the RGB signals are not within the VGA standard. Only a few monitors will work with it as most need at least a 31 kHz horizontal frequency and PAL is only about half of that. This counts for both CRT and LCD monitors. You'll need to use DblPAL or DblNTSC for that adapter to work, and then it will mainly work in WB and requires an A1200.

I've never heard of an LCD TV which supports Amiga RGB on it's VGA connector. SCART RGB on the other hand, will usually work.

Do you use such an adapter yourself?
Old 28 March 2013, 07:30   #18
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

I run my A2000 on a Samsung 957DF monitor through a scandoubler. The old 1084S is good but they are like any old monitor they will give up eventually and then you'll need to find another or upgrade so perhaps it's better to do it now rather than later.
Old 28 March 2013, 11:13   #19
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
I haven't tried it since I don't have such an adapter, but I'm 99% certain it won't work since the RGB signals are not within the VGA standard. Only a few monitors will work with it as most need at least a 31 kHz horizontal frequency and PAL is only about half of that. This counts for both CRT and LCD monitors. You'll need to use DblPAL or DblNTSC for that adapter to work, and then it will mainly work in WB and requires an A1200.

I've never heard of an LCD TV which supports Amiga RGB on it's VGA connector. SCART RGB on the other hand, will usually work.

Do you use such an adapter yourself?
yep I use the VGA adapter in a viewSonic VX2439WM
VGA adapter will work in pal and ntsc modes specially in:

LCD TVs with VGA input
or
LCD monitors with HDMI input

The presence of HDMI input in your monitor is an indicator that PAL and NTSC modes will work through VGA adapter.
that's because I told you that you don't need RGB>HDMI adapter...your cheapest and simple option should be VGA adapter+ (VGA cable of course)

Last edited by Sandro; 28 March 2013 at 11:19.
Old 28 March 2013, 12:18   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454 View Post

A Sony Trintion Flat CRT TV in 21" (KV21XX line) is great. Clearly better than 20 years old Commodore monitors.