English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 August 2017, 15:58   #1
arjanv

Amiga 1200 remake?

Hi All,

I was thinking to build a completely new amiga 1200 board, with all addons included such as usb,vga/hdmi, sd/cf slot, multiple ide connectors, maybe a better cpu (so a accelerator would not be needed anymore)

The schematics are on internet, but do this would it be illegal?

Also i'm looking for people who can help. Was also thinking of a kickstart project for this.

Or is it not worth it?

What dou you think?
Old 11 August 2017, 16:23   #2
Daedalus

Have you seen this? It's essentially what you're talking about, or similar enough anyway. I can't see it being a big deal if you generate your own schematics, as in, "paraphrase" the existing ones. But using the existing schematics and board layouts verbatim might be a problem as that falls under copyright. If you think you can get the backing, go for it, but it's a colossal project for the following reasons:

Will you use the standard AGA chipset? If so, where will you get them? If not, what will you replace them with?

Will you use existing network and USB/VGA/HDMI solutions? If so, how will you integrate it? If not, what will you use and (most importantly) who will write the driver software for them?

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great (and the more competition the better), but you'll need to have a very clear plan before thinking about looking for funding.
Old 11 August 2017, 16:28   #3
arjanv

thanks, i was afraid of that. it's too much work indeed. didnt saw the a1200 reloaded.
Old 11 August 2017, 16:29   #4
Amiga1992

And also, what have you done before that you can show as experience to know you could pull this off? That will be important.
Old 11 August 2017, 16:33   #5
Jope
-

If you're going to do a kickstarter, you better be able to pull it off. Have a running proto + negotiate the mass production deal and only then collect the funds for mass production.

Illegal? I doubt it.

If you can't do it on your own, then I'd say leave it as a dream. If you're serious, you should start drawing in your favourite cad program. Once you have working hardware, you will probably be able to recruit someone to write the drivers for you, if needed.