gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Mmm tasty. Those little insider details make for the best posts
Old 04 January 2020, 06:40   #222
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
005AMIGA I worked on the Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast game, I don't think anyone expected Ferrari to be such a nightmare to work with.

Obviuously they're ultra protective of their branding but they go too far, made us apply magazine layouts to a game UI because that's "how it should look" even though we literally could not do that on consoles due to TRC/TCR violations. Absolute nightmare to work with on that side of things.

...but, also really cool to see all of their design and styling guides etc for brochures and magazine layouts. They take that stuff very seriously and have some cool little details like the choices for which logo to use in what situation and depending on what colour the car was etc.
Wow FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing your story. Much as I love the original Outrun, I think Coast to Coast (or Outrun 2006 Online Arcade as I think the PS3 version was titled...something odd like that) has become my favorite iteration. Not saying that because you've posted lol. It truly is. It felt modern (at the time) and yet perfectly retro in it's handling and fun factor.

I played it through endlessly and loved the inclusion of the extra cars and the ability to drive non stop through all stages. ...and the mode where you have to impress the chick by drifting etc.

What I loved most about the PS3 version is,....i played it about a year later in an arcade cab while waiting for a mate in a cinema and I swear....it felt like THE EXACT SAME game.

I happily played start to finish on 1 credit with a random kid watching over my shoulder, jaw on the floor as I drifted with easy through the turns and crossed the finish line (on the easy route lol).

Thank you so much for your work.

Re Ferrari....I knew they were difficult but that's another level. They killed coast to cost "resale" as none of the stores online or physical can even sell the game due to the licence expiry. Makes me so cross.

BUT......our Local Ferrari dealership is awesome. Got taken for a spin in a brand new 488 even though the sales rep knew I didn't have the money to buy lol. Already had that discussion with him "So why the Porsche Cayman?"
me: "Because I can't afford a Ferrari" lol.

Was there for a club meet. Gate crashing with my Porsche like a cheeky git

EDIT: Post corrected. I originally said "Outrun 2016"....it was of course 2006 lol.

Last edited by 005AGIMA; 04 January 2020 at 12:34.
Old 04 January 2020, 11:27   #223
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Wow FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing your story. Much as I love the original Outrun, I think Coast to Coast (or Outrun 2016 Online Arcade as I think the PS3 version was titled...something odd like that) has become my favorite iteration. Not saying that because you've posted lol. It truly is. It felt modern (at the time) and yet perfectly retro in it's handling and fun factor.

I played it through endlessly and loved the inclusion of the extra cars and the ability to drive non stop through all stages. ...and the mode where you have to impress the chick by drifting etc.

What I loved most about the PS3 version is,....i played it about a year later in an arcade cab while waiting for a mate in a cinema and I swear....it felt like THE EXACT SAME game.
I also have to admit that I absolutely love Outrun 2

First played it in the arcades; and then had to purchase an Xbox when it came out on that console back in 2003.
Old 12 January 2020, 01:46   #224
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
Hi all sorry for the silences, it have taken a much longer with my back that i expected, and i had a really hard time getting back into coding mode again, when my back started to get better in late October.

i have made some minor changes to the code adding a hack that allow to get up/down animations of the car.
i made a short video showing it.
[ Show youtube player ]

This show how US Gold did literally shoot herself in the foot rushing out the product; given some more time even the original would have been MUCH better and their reputation untarnished; but you are doing a fenomenal job!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Last edited by saimon69; 12 January 2020 at 02:20.
Old 12 January 2020, 03:00   #225
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I also have to admit that I absolutely love Outrun 2

First played it in the arcades; and then had to purchase an Xbox when it came out on that console back in 2003.
It's damned good in Outrun 2006 on PC. Still compatible with every PC I've owned since launch.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:52   #226
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It's damned good in Outrun 2006 on PC. Still compatible with every PC I've owned since launch.
Wish I could actually buy it somewhere :/ Seems it was on Steam but it was taken out of the catalogue.
Old 13 January 2020, 16:13   #227
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Wish I could actually buy it somewhere :/ Seems it was on Steam but it was taken out of the catalogue.
I have this for Playstation 2 and just use with an emulator.

As for the PC version; I've sent you a PM with a link to Outrun 2006 - Coast 2 Coast
Old 15 January 2020, 09:11   #228
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Some questions for you:

right now you are replacing the graphics, however is also possible for you to change the road map and objects placement if needed?
And how feasible would be to maybe also extend it or load custom objects/palette if you want more stuff to be on display?

Am asking because am envisioning using the fixed outrun engine as scaffolding for different driving games with different styles, different sprites, music, etc.