English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 February 2017, 13:37   #1
Toryglen-boy

A600 and A1200 ACA Scandoublers.

Seems like a great place for help!

ACA Scandoublers, apart from sorting the signal into something modern, what other benefits do they have? do you get different screen modes? more colour depth per screen mode? does it do anything to accelerate the drawing speed on the Amiga, that is, does it speed it up anyway? and finally ... i have heard that you cant use them with Apollo cards..

anyone got any good practical advice on buying/using one?

many thanks

Old 04 February 2017, 14:20   #2
utri007
mä vaan

You have mixed ACA accelerators and Indivision scandoublers.

Indi for ECS and AGA are very different things. Indivision ECS has more like a replacement for ECS chipset, but Indivision AGA is just scandoubler.

They have nothing to do with accelerators, so no compatibility problems with them.
Old 04 February 2017, 17:05   #3
ajk

Have you read the product pages of the Indivision line? Those would be the first place to look and should answer most questions

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...andoubler.html
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision

There are also plenty of videos on YouTube showing what they do.
Old 04 February 2017, 23:21   #4
Toryglen-boy

Thanks for your reply i haven't confused accelerators with scandoublers, i mention ACA as they are made by the same company i know they have nothing to do with accelerators, u think you miss-understood my question, but you kinda answered it anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
You have mixed ACA accelerators and Indivision scandoublers.

Indi for ECS and AGA are very different things. Indivision ECS has more like a replacement for ECS chipset, but Indivision AGA is just scandoubler.

They have nothing to do with accelerators, so no compatibility problems with them.
Old 04 February 2017, 23:23   #5
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Have you read the product pages of the Indivision line? Those would be the first place to look and should answer most questions

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...andoubler.html
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision

There are also plenty of videos on YouTube showing what they do.
thanks, and yes i did, then i came here, as it doesn't answer my questions I mentioned, "practical advice for using and buying", and i am fully conversant in what they do also, just looking for some advice on what difference, if any, it makes to using workbench.

thanks

Old 05 February 2017, 11:26   #6
Damion

Unfortunately, aside from changing the scanrate, it does nothing to accelerate or enhance what the chipset is already capable of.

However, the device is highly configurable, which is a huge advantage when trying to get a suitable picture with modern screens (some mistake this lack of user friendliness for some sort of defect, but it's really necessary with all the different monitors out there).

Once configured it makes using Workbench a pleasure, and the DVI output quality is simply stunning. Unlike some of the older scandoublers out there, it leaves the 24-bit AGA color palette fully intact (what your LCD does might be another story, however).
Old 05 February 2017, 12:19   #7
Toryglen-boy

thanks once again fella, you obviously know your onions!!

I just seen things like 16Mb frame buffer, Faster memory access, 24bit colour in all screen modes, and i thought it might have some witchcraft or voodoo to it, seems like a handy thing to have, being from Scotland originally, i am used to SCART and how great it can look, all Australia has is composite on everything, and its shimmery-vision. i am thinking one of these hooked up to a 20" CRT monitor would look the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Unfortunately, aside from changing the scanrate, it does nothing to accelerate or enhance what the chipset is already capable of.

However, the device is highly configurable, which is a huge advantage when trying to get a suitable picture with modern screens (some mistake this lack of user friendliness for some sort of defect, but it's really necessary with all the different monitors out there).

Once configured it makes using Workbench a pleasure, and the DVI output quality is simply stunning. Unlike some of the older scandoublers out there, it leaves the 24-bit AGA color palette fully intact (what your LCD does might be another story, however).
Old 05 February 2017, 13:55   #8
ajk

Indivision scandoublers do not add anything to the graphics capabilities of the Amiga as such, but they do make it feasible to use certain high-res screenmodes which monitors would otherwise find difficult or impossible to display.
Old 05 February 2017, 15:14   #9
idrougge

Unless you're willing to try the experimental Picasso96 driver for Indivision ECS.