English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 21 August 2015, 22:48   #1
Estrayk

Looking for the author from this font

Hello all, I´m looking for the original author from this famous font:

Also appreciate the first time that was used and where.

Thank you very much.

Yours... eStRaYk / PaRaDoX
Old 22 August 2015, 00:17   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Wasn't it Knight Hawks that first used it?

Do a search on youtube, gettysburg amiga knight hawks
Old 22 August 2015, 00:33   #3
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Wasn't it Knight Hawks that first used it?

Do a search on youtube, gettysburg amiga knight hawks
You're right, thanks for the tip. Seems the original charset was from "Ming" / The Star Frontiers / Knight Hawks.
http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=65898

Old 22 August 2015, 00:35   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
You're right, thanks for the tip. Seems the original charset was from "Ming" / The Star Frontiers / Knight Hawks.
http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=65898

Old 22 August 2015, 03:08   #5
Mark Wright

Ahhhh, what nostalgia. The classic "Knight Hawks" font, clearly inspired by the logo type for the movie "The Terminator". Surely the most ubiquitous font in the early years of Amiga scene productions - it was everywhere. But while Amiga freaks quickly tired of its omnipresence, it's testament to the sheer beauty of the font that it enjoyed a whole new lease of life, going on to appear in at least 93.6%* of all Atari ST demos made between 1989 and 1991.

It's worth taking a moment to reflect upon its debut:

[ Show youtube player ]

That intro was among the first handful of things I ever saw on an Amiga (although I have a feeling it was before Ports of Call or Return to Atlantis rather than Gettysburg). I don't know what the first thing YOU saw was, but can you imagine being a lowly ZX Spectrum owner in early 1988, then seeing THAT? I can still remember my uneasy amazement at what I was seeing, wondering whether it had been beamed down from space somehow: that's how futuristic it seemed at the time, at least to me.

Now of course, it's a relic. An arcane museum piece, worthy only of ridicule. But take my word for it: this was once the standard-bearer for Amiga demos, daring others to raise their game and raise the bar. In many ways, it's *the* quintessential Amiga demo: copper effects the likes of which had never been seen before, a melancholy Soundtracker module, introducing a stunning font in a scroller that flipped, sined and bounced around "just to take the piss", a classy opening and ending... Ahhh, what nostalgia.

Sorry for boring diatribe. Anyway, despite being massively overused at the time, that font is due a renaissance! I wonder if we can convince some trendy design company to champion it for future projects? EDIT: Or, erm, perhaps not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kh.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	45141  

Last edited by Mark Wright; 22 August 2015 at 03:59.
Old 22 August 2015, 12:49   #6
WayneK

Damn the Guardian's standards of journalism have really dropped - they can't even spell their own masthead correctly!

But you're right, everything looks better in the Knighthawks font - if the Google logo sine-waved around a bit or flipped in a DNA-scroll style that would be the icing on the cake.