English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 26 July 2001, 16:50   #1
Steve
You are Fake News!

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Dungeon Master II AGA

Does anyone here know why the doors in Dungeon Master II AGA don't open when you click on their buttons. I'm 99.9% positive it's an emulator problem with WinUAE. I'm using a .hdf version of the game. Has anyone even managed to get the darn doors to open up?? It's a real shame cos I'd love to play this great game again.
Old 28 September 2001, 00:16   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

GODDAMNIT!!!

This game still has the same problem

Does anyone have the time to try this out on their real AGA machine to see if it is an emulation problem or not

I have a feeling it's not, but I haven't got a real Amiga to check myself
Old 28 September 2001, 00:41   #3
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Does anyone have the time to try this out on their real AGA machine to see if it is an emulation problem or not
Could ya upload it ? Can´t find my copy ..... I´ll never tried it since I got my A1200 not long ago
Old 28 September 2001, 00:48   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Will do

Starting ........... NOW!!!
Old 28 September 2001, 01:33   #5
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Will do

Starting ........... NOW!!!
Downloading ........... NOW !!!
Old 28 September 2001, 01:35   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

It's all up there

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Retroman, it's much appreciated

Right I'll tell you what the problem is now, after selecting your characters you climb up the ladder into a room with 2 doors, a fireplace, a picture and a table.

Behind the table, which you have to shift out the way there is the picture. Behind that there are various items including a key, which goes into a lock near one of the doors, but neither of the doors opens in WinUAE no matter what you click on or press.

Hope you have some good news to report soon
Old 28 September 2001, 13:09   #7
Steve
You are Fake News!

Big grin Cool

Wow. I started this thread months ago. Great to see it's still going. Like you Ian I to am beginning to suspect that the problem lies with the game and not the emulator itself. Someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that the version that is all over the internet is a dodgy crack (or original) version with copy protection that prevents you from opening the doors. I'm sure I remember my Amiga version being on more than six disks and it certainly didn't have this problem (it wasn't the original). I hope we're able to get this working as I'm getting a bit desperate for my next Dungeon Master fix!!
Maybe we need to start a new thread in the "Games images which need to be cracked" section of this message board?
Old 29 September 2001, 13:43   #8
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Well, I fired it up in WinUAE yesterday (cause my A1200 had some trouble ) and I noticed something weird .... as I first started the game, got the key and walked to the door, it opened !!! BUT ..... only the first time, after leaving the game and started again, it won´t open anymore the problem is, I didn´t noticed, if I made something different the first time .... maybe I pressed a key or something, anyway, I hope to get my A1200 back in working condition today, so I will try on my real machine as well ..... more l8r .....
Old 29 September 2001, 14:07   #9
Steve
You are Fake News!

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

Well, I fired it up in WinUAE yesterday (cause my A1200 had some trouble ) and I noticed something weird .... as I first started the game, got the key and walked to the door, it opened !!! BUT ..... only the first time, after leaving the game and started again, it won´t open anymore the problem is, I didn´t noticed, if I made something different the first time .... maybe I pressed a key or something, anyway, I hope to get my A1200 back in working condition today, so I will try on my real machine as well ..... more l8r .....
ooooh. I can't wait to hear if it works or not. That's very interesting that the door opened. I'm not sure we can read too much into it though. Does it put it on more onto the "Emulator Problem" or "Copy Protected Problem"?? It could be either. We'll find out soon enough I hope. Oh by the way there is 2 doors that you should be able to open. One with a key and one with a switch. Did you perhaps use a different configuration the first time when it worked. I really hope this is true.
Old 29 September 2001, 14:39   #10
RetroMan

Well, I´m currently re-installing AmigaOS on my 1200er, right after that I will install DM 2 AGA and test it again ..... more from this later then, but for me it doesn´t seem to be an emulator problem, more a crack problem, but maybe I´ll find out, what I did the first time that I didn´t the other times I booted up .... hopefully
Old 29 September 2001, 22:55   #11
RetroMan

Hmm, sorry to disappoint you guys, but it IS a Emulation problem indeed ..... the game works without any problem on my A1200, all door will open and everything ....... but I still cannot believe that it worked ONCE in WinUAE ?!?!? Dunno why, I never could open the doors again, only the first time, I fired DM2 AGA up
Old 29 September 2001, 23:28   #12
Ian
Global Moderator

One more for the "To-Do" list for Toni
Old 29 September 2001, 23:34   #13
Steve
You are Fake News!

Unhappy Oh Bugger

Hmmm. Looks like we'll have to let try and let the UAE guys know about this really really strange problem. Although I did mention it on the UAE discussion board months ago and I heard nothing from the developers. Maybe they're not too interested in getting particular games working only in getting overall compatability better. This is really a great shame. I'd love to see this working on WinUAE. Oh well. What on earth could it be that isn't emulated? It's just so damn bizarre. Apart from this problem the game emulates perfectly. This has got to be one of the strangest things I've come across with regard to Amiga emulation. Thanks for clearing this little mystery up for us RetroMan it's greatly appreciated. Unfortunately my worst fears are realised and it is WinUAE. Does anyone with more "inside" technical knowledge of how WinUAE works have any possible theories on this situation? Can we motivate the developers into looking into this further??
Old 30 September 2001, 01:36   #14
RetroMan

Hey, no thx for that one please, I love testing anyway I made a last hopeless try and copied a save game from my A1200 to WinUAE with opened doors but unfortunately the other doors in the game weren´t open either so..... guess we have to wait a bit

Ohhhh,btw ..... I´m using WinUAE 0.8.17R1 anyone here tried the R2 on that game ???
Old 30 September 2001, 01:44   #15
Steve
You are Fake News!

Unhappy Still no success

Yes I've tried release 2 and it's exactly the same. In fact WinUAE has had exactly the same problem with DMII since version 0.8.8 which is the earliest version I have from 3 years ago!!! Unbelievable.....Believe it!! I don't think this bug will EVER be fixed unless someone lets the developers of WinUAE know exactly about the problem and get them to look into it. I've tried but with no success. Maybe what's needed is a petition?
Old 30 September 2001, 01:59   #16
RetroMan

Re: Still no success

Quote:
Originally posted by steve_b
Maybe what's needed is a petition?
I´ll sign it
Old 30 September 2001, 10:12   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ok, I'll take a look...
Could someone write small instructions for locating this stupid door or send me a saved game? (I am using HD-installed version of DM2)
Old 30 September 2001, 11:33   #18
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
It's all up there

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Toni, it's much appreciated

Right I'll tell you what the problem is now, after selecting your characters you climb up the ladder into a room with 2 doors, a fireplace, a picture and a table.

Behind the table, which you have to shift out the way there is the picture. Behind that there are various items including a key, which goes into a lock near one of the doors, but neither of the doors opens in WinUAE no matter what you click on or press.

Here you go Toni, I already posted where and when it happens

Good luck
Old 30 September 2001, 11:56   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Here you go Toni, I already posted where and when it happens
Oops.. I'll try to read earlier messages better next time

Thanks for instructions.
Old 30 September 2001, 13:09   #20
Steve
You are Fake News!

Happy Excellent

Thanks very much Toni for taking the time to look into this really strange problem. Fingers crossed.