gilgamesh
Linux snob

Yeah, and while we're at it: Ian McKellen in Richard III. Great
Old 01 May 2011, 04:49   #882
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I watched Fast Five last night with the missus...... actually not a bad movie at all.

OK, its not The Godfather (thank fuck!), but it achieves what it sets out to do, and thats entertain.

And goddamn, but i'd even state that the F&F movies are actually getting better! This one is easily the equal of the first movie, brings back a few more characters from previous movies, and Dwayne Johnson was pretty good.

Some of the action scenes are pretty good, the best being the car with Dom and Brian as it hurtles into the water, you've got to see the scene to believe it!

Just simple switch off the brain entertainment, and I don't care how much of a neanderthal that makes me sound!
I have to agree, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Fast and Furious 5.

The scene that stole the show for me was the final car chase, where the two main protagonists come up with many creative ways to use a bank safe. You've really got to see it!
Old 01 May 2011, 16:14   #883
laffer
Zone Friend

Just got a movie called Crossing (that's the English translation anyway) in the mail... had to get it on eBay, don't think they carry it in many places around here.

It's a Korean movie, and I think it's really good... very different from your typical Hollywood movies.

Synopsis -
Quote:
Yong-soo lives in a small coal-mine village in North Korea with his wife and young son. Although living in extreme poverty, the family is happy just to be with each other. Then one day, Yong-soo’s pregnant wife becomes critically ill. Let alone medicine, Yong-soo can’t even find food for her in North Korea. So he secretly crosses the borders of China hoping to find the medicine for his wife. After many life threatening moments in China, Yong-soo is forced into South Korea, becoming an unwanted refugee prohibited to return to his family. Meanwhile, his wife passes away leaving their young son alone in desperation. With no one to turn to, his young son sets out to find his father not knowing where or how to find him.
The movie is a lot better than this synopsis makes it seem, though - it's really quite emotional, and I very rarely get emotional over movies.

It's inspired by a real story, but obviously a lot of it is made up... however - I think a lot of the made up stuff is realistic as well as I have seen a bunch of documentaries about North Korea and I recognized a lot of situations in this movie from things I'd seen in those documentaries.

You can actually watch the full movie on Youtube, here is [ Show youtube player ]... it's easy to find the other parts once you've found the first one.
Old 01 May 2011, 21:06   #884
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Just got a movie called Crossing (that's the English translation anyway) in the mail... had to get it on eBay, don't think they carry it in many places around here.

It's a Korean movie, and I think it's really good... very different from your typical Hollywood movies.

Synopsis -

The movie is a lot better than this synopsis makes it seem, though - it's really quite emotional, and I very rarely get emotional over movies.

It's inspired by a real story, but obviously a lot of it is made up... however - I think a lot of the made up stuff is realistic as well as I have seen a bunch of documentaries about North Korea and I recognized a lot of situations in this movie from things I'd seen in those documentaries.

You can actually watch the full movie on Youtube, here is [ Show youtube player ]... it's easy to find the other parts once you've found the first one.
DEFINITELY a movie i will get! Even though some parts of the movie would be made up, crossing the border into China to escape North Korea is a regular occurrence but life in China is still somewhat terrible due to Korean's not being able to speak the language which also results in them being spotted much more easily to be sent back to North Korea.

I also saw a documentary of a family escaping from the North to the South and it was heart breaking but necessary to watch.

Thank you for the heads up on the this movie laffer

BTW - I hope all is well my friend
Old 02 May 2011, 00:36   #885
laffer
Zone Friend

Things aren't too bad, thanks for asking - I'm very soon moving into a rather nice (and with very cheap rent!) apartment, so I'm quite excited about that these days.

Seeing as you seem interested in and have watched some documentaries regarding the conditions in North Korea and refugees to China, I can definitely recommend this movie to you!
Personally I've watched a ton of documentaries about refugees, North Korea, Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung (and now Kim Jong Un as well), and having an interest in these things definitely makes the movie even more interesting and enjoyable (though it's certainly not a requirement).

This is where I bought my copy, $5 for shipping isn't all that bad considering it's shipped from Hong Kong (he has more in stock) -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 02 May 2011, 11:58   #886
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw "Fair Game" with the forever cute looking Naomi Watts.

Blegh, really not my kind of movie. Perhaps if you like political thrillers you can stomach this, but I surely can't. What a bore.

Perhaps it is my loathing for movies with a message, and because this is based on true events of course the movie contains a big message. Yes I know, we all suck.
Old 26 May 2011, 18:23   #887
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So the Hangover part 2 is out and it is as GREAT as the first one.

Everyone seems to love the first movie and calls it comedy genius; am I so strange that it hardly made me laugh, only a few isolated scenes?
Old 26 May 2011, 19:22   #888
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
So the Hangover part 2 is out and it is as GREAT as the first one.

Everyone seems to love the first movie and calls it comedy genius;
Quote:
am I so strange that it hardly made me laugh, only a few isolated scenes?
No, i fully agree. Especially part 1 was extremely overhyped. I've enjoyed a few scences in Hot Tub Time Machine much more.
Old 26 May 2011, 20:17   #889
skateblind
Village Idiot

The one dude in there(the nutcase) made me chuckle constantly. He is also great in that film with Robert Downey Jr.

I would say sometimes we can be overly critical of films like these. To me it is just a bit of entertainment, something to watch while getting drunk or high.
Old 27 May 2011, 12:04   #890
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I watched Hangover 2 last night with the missus.

Yes its a retread of the first movie, but fuck me, it is a lot funnier.

The end credits had me crying.
Old 27 May 2011, 13:51   #891
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
missus.

fuck me

had me crying.

Its funny when you only selectively read parts of what people write.
Old 29 May 2011, 16:08   #892
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Re-watching Tremors this weekend. All of them - 4 movies and 13 episodes of a TV series. They're awesome, so cheezy and silly
Sure, with each episode they went lower budget, but never "jumped the shark".
Old 30 May 2011, 10:49   #893
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The first movie remains a classic that is hard to surpass. It takes balls and skill to create a horror movie that is at the same time extremely silly, and actually pull it off.
Old 03 June 2011, 16:47   #894
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Saw Zatoichi the 2003 version again, damn it's a cool movie
Got to love the silly CGI blood squirting, classic slap-stick humor and the general attention to details in situations happening even in the background.
Zatoichi may be a bad guy (as the director implied by not giving him the happy-dance scene at the end) but he's just so cool.

I will try to watch the previous 26 classic movies with him, from the 60's up to the 80's.
Old 03 June 2011, 17:37   #895
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Battle Royale, classic movie with that guy

Unrelated but popped into my head nonetheless, also give Casshern a try; I really like the style of that movie.
Old 06 June 2011, 23:45   #896
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

K, on the list of "movies guys must NOT see", I had already added New Moon (Twilight Saga). I can add another to the list.

You know, I like Sex and the City. Its a funny tv series and the first movie wasn't that bad. Good for a laugh.

However, avoid the second movie like the plague. Seriously, that movie is made for female senior citizens. Do-not-let-your-female-partner-persuade-you-into-seeing-it-with-her. That is all.
Old 06 June 2011, 23:51   #897
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Due Date. I laughed, quite a lot...
Old 01 July 2011, 03:30   #898
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Tokyo Gore Police... This is one seriously f*cked up movie and I LOVE IT!!!
Old 01 July 2011, 10:59   #899
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

K, that really sounds like something my girlfriend would love (no kidding there). Thanks!
Old 01 July 2011, 14:17   #900
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
watched sucker puch yesterday oh yes them girls have the moves, just nice see a diffrent kind of fight/action moive for once