English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: How do you feel about some of the recent pricing for Amiga games?
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 2 40.00%
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 1 20.00%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 0 0%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 January 2020, 13:31   #141
manossg
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Greece
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
What's wrong with a poll? It gives a good indication as to what people's thought are without having to comment. Nobody is forcing anyone to vote...
I feel that this is thread (+poll) is aimed at a specific person. This only promotes drama, not discussion, nor development.
manossg is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 13:35   #142
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
I feel that this is thread (+poll) is aimed at a specific person. This only promotes drama, not discussion, nor development.
This discussion has mainly been about how the digital download price shouldn't be virtually the same as the physical price... many have expressed that opinion.

Ok yes, Richard seems to be the only developer doing this (as you can see from the list that I put together here), so the poll is using his pricing strategy. It's no secret what the figures are though and are what he set... this needs to be discussed.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 13:43   #143
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,634
I’m ignoring this thread mow as it has got silly.
mcgeezer is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 13:45   #144
manossg
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Greece
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
This discussion has mainly been about how the digital download price shouldn't be virtually the same as the physical price... many have expressed that opinion.

Ok yes, Richard seems to be the only developer doing this (as you can see from the list that I put together here), so the poll is using his pricing strategy. It's no secret what the figures are though and are what he set... this needs to be discussed.
I understand your points and agree with them, but I feel there might be better ways to communicate them. This only comes across as spiteful and personal.

So, of course, you have the right to put up such a poll, but this gesture gets a thumbs down from me.
manossg is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 13:45   #145
grond
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 701
Perhaps there should be a poll about how adequate people find it if somebody calls a review "totally bias and a crock of shite", alleges a game author of favourably reviewing his own game and marking others down to make his game shine and then is too proud to apologize when proven wrong.
grond is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 13:48   #146
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Ok fine, poll closed then... even though I believe it's totally relevant to the discussion at hand.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:02   #147
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,254
So, why is this thread even titled that way, when it's YOU, Damien, who has a problem with only the DIGITAL pricing of ONE developer?
Steril707 is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:05   #148
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
So, why is this thread even titled that way, when it's YOU, Damien, who has a problem with only the DIGITAL pricing of ONE developer?
Excuse me Steril707; did you not notice that it wasn't me that changed the thread title to what it is now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I have retitled the thread, and might even lock it and start a new thread where this can be discussed better. Clearly there's not just the issue of the price of games that have been brought up here, but certain behaviours too.
I thought my original title of "Discussion about Game Developer overvaluing their products" was quite fair and in context.

I'm quite happy to change it back; or same question to you as I offerred to buzzybee and malko; without response... what should this be changed to then?

Also, you think it's only just me that has a problem with the digital download price being virtually the same as the physical copy price?

Look at the poll results; before it was quickly closed... I guarantee you that if I left this open there would be many, many more votes from others who also feel that the digital download price is too expensive.

I suggest you re-read the thread again. I really can't be bothered going through and quoting others with this same opinion; as there are many

Last edited by DamienD; 20 January 2020 at 14:16.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:16   #149
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
DamienD: Quality of a game seams not to matter to you.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:18   #150
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
DamienD: Quality of a game seams not to matter to you.
What a stupid comment; of course it does... but it doesn't justify the high prices of the physical copy and; especially the price of the digital download being virtually the same
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:24   #151
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
What if I sold half of the games I could for tripple the price. Does that make scense to you?
nikosidis is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:26   #152
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
What a stupid comment; of course it does... but it doesn't justify the high prices of the physical copy and; especially the price of the digital download being virtually the same
If so. Why was not that mentioned in the poll?
nikosidis is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:27   #153
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
What if I sold half of the games I could for tripple the price. Does that make scense to you?
I really doubt that's a viable plan and no, it makes no sense to me... you are already seeing comments from various people saying that they didn't purchase Reshoot or Reshoot R as they believe it's too expensive for what it is.

Maybe you should also re-read the thread from the start; as you seem to have skipped important opinions from numerous people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
If so. Why was not that mentioned in the poll?
Eh, that's exactly what the poll was created to do i.e. guage people's opinion on whether or not the physical and digital prices are fair or too high.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 14:47   #154
buzzybee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Landsberg / Germany
Posts: 311
I gave some insights into the situation and the calculation, but it seems some members of the forum are resistant even to undisputable facts. So, I do not need a poll. RESHOOT R is my game and I charge for it, what I think is fair and reasonable. RESHOOT PROXIMA 3 is the creation of (mainly) invent and me, and I will discuss with him, if and how to progress with it. End of message.

Last edited by buzzybee; 20 January 2020 at 14:54.
buzzybee is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 15:03   #155
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
So, I do not need a poll. RESHOOT R is my game and I charge for it, what I think is fair and reasonable.
...and that's totally fine, but do note that no other developers are setting digital download prices virtually the same as the physical price.

But I think you should also listen / be concerned when your customers mention that they feel the digital download price set by you is too expensive. This is vital information for a devleoper and shouldn't be ignored; but at the end of the day it's your choice.

Last edited by DamienD; 20 January 2020 at 15:10.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 15:03   #156
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Rochabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: France
Age: 40
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I gave some insights into the situation and the calculation, but it seems some members of the forum are resistant even to undisputable facts. So, I do not need a poll. It´s my game and I charge for it, what I think is fair and reasonable. End of message.
Will Reshoot R Proxima III be around 15£ for digital or will it be more £25-30 ?

It's an open question, no judgment here.

You choose the price and you're the only one who knows what do you want to earn with this game and how it costs to release it, so no problem at all with your price strategy.

It's just to know if you future release will suit the "psychological price" (40£ boxed & 10-15£ digital) or the same model as Reshoot R & Reshoot ?

As said, no judgment, it's your choice and i will respect it
Rochabian is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 15:16   #157
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I really doubt that's a viable plan and no, it makes no sense to me... you are already seeing comments from various people saying that they didn't purchase Reshoot or Reshoot R as they believe it's too expensive for what it is.

Maybe you should also re-read the thread from the start; as you seem to have skipped important opinions from numerous people.


Eh, that's exactly what the poll was created to do i.e. guage people's opinion on whether or not the physical and digital prices are fair or too high.
No, it was not. Nothing about the Quality of the game itself.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 15:26   #158
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
No, it was not. Nothing about the Quality of the game itself.
Do please tell; how in a poll you can mention "quality vs price"; and "physical vs digital" without having say 8 options?

The crux of the matter is that people don't believe that the digital download price should be virtually the same as the physical copy price; no matter what the quality of the game... the poll reflected exactly this

Anyway, the poll's closed now so no need to further discussion this.
DamienD is online now  
Old 20 January 2020, 16:09   #159
Dunny
Registered User

Dunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Scunthorpe/United Kingdom
Posts: 1,377
Let's not forget that the almighty Francois Lionet has recently tried to take someone else's code (fixes and upgardes to AMOSPro) and charge 200 euros for it, giving the author of that code 7 euros as compensation.

Who says there's no money in Amiga these days?
Dunny is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 16:15   #160
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Let's not forget that the almighty Francois Lionet has recently tried to take someone else's code (fixes and upgardes to AMOSPro) and charge 200 euros for it, giving the author of that code 7 euros as compensation.

Who says there's no money in Amiga these days?
There isn't that much money in the Amiga. I'd be interested to know how much money is actually made!
BippyM is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game speed discussion BippyM Coders. General 6 20 June 2019 11:27
PSX game made by Amiga developers Shatterhand Retrogaming General Discussion 20 05 January 2015 10:40
Any Amiga commercial game developers/programmers here? quahappy Nostalgia & memories 10 28 December 2013 14:19
old game developers jrom Nostalgia & memories 11 10 June 2004 16:12

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.10541 seconds with 16 queries