English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: How do you feel about some of the recent pricing for Amiga games?
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 2 40.00%
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 1 20.00%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 0 0%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 January 2020, 23:15   #41
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...not at £39.99 £35.99; that's absolutely mental

We're not talking new PC / PS4 / Xbox One quality games here... and it's really just a slightly more polished version of the unreleased 1992 game.

I hope the digital download will not be as extortionate; otherwise I'll definitely not bother.
Why is that mental for a boxed version. The sales will be very limited they know that. It is for collectors. Just buy the digital version. It will probably be 10$
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:16   #42
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
If you like to invest a quality game
for this market and survive the price must be high.
I don't agree with that statement.

Just because a game is quality doesn't mean that the price should be ludicrous

...and you can see 9 examples of high quality games; yet at realistic / decent / fair prices in my post here
DamienD is online now  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:19   #43
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Why is that mental for a boxed version. The sales will be very limited they know that. It is for collectors. Just buy the digital version. It will probably be 10$
If you can't see the reason why people are saying this price is mental; be my guest and support the developer at this price... off you go then, please take a photo of your purchase afterwards so we know you're not "all mouth and no pants"

I definitely won't be purchasing, but you can see some "collectors" opinions in relation to the boxed price of Rotator in this exact thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I know, pre-orders used to be £29.99, but now they're £35.99. I think this maybe my last physical order from them due to the prices, I know I like collecting boxes but I can't see them lowering the prices unless they just sell the box with disk/tape/cart and manual!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Agree, with these prices I'm not really motivated to buy these games anymore.

Last edited by DamienD; 19 January 2020 at 23:25.
DamienD is online now  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:20   #44
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Sorry, but how old the market is does not give any indication of the price of anything.

Sure the quality does. I can not imagine anyone buying Amiga pacman clone for 50£

Last but not least this is a very limited market. If you like to invest a quality game

for this market and survive the price must be high. A lot do this just for their own pleasure

and nostalgic reasons. This is shown with some of the best quality games done for the Amiga recent years.

Traprunner series and Gianna sisters remake. All free! I guess Gianna remake is like other quality releases

like Bombjack, beer edition and Rygar as they are not allowed to sell for copyright reasons.

The problem is that it is rare that quality like this come for free and do we want quality or do we want crap.
So by your (very strange) logic, these prices are high because they're made for collectors.

What an absolute pile of crap. They are not made for the limited collectors, and if they are.. Well that makes it far worse.. "i know, let's make a game, price it really high becuase the idiot collectors are just going to pay our crazy prices anyway"

Get a grip man!
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:26   #45
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
I like to comment on that.
Black Dawn - Not tried but looks ok.
Worthy - Agree 100%
Bridge Strike - Very good game but sound FX and music is not on par at all.
Skill Grid - The game is ok but I would not call it a high quality release.
Pong 4K - That game need some love. It is also to simple to call a high quality release.
Tiger Claw - In the same park as Skill Grid at best
Solid Gold - It is ok but nothing like Traprunner.
Traprunner - Very good, high quality but as said. Done by 2 brothers for their own fun and nostalgic reasons.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:31   #46
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
So by your (very strange) logic, these prices are high because they're made for collectors.<br />
<br />
What an absolute pile of crap. They are not made for the limited collectors, and if they are.. Well that makes it far worse.. &quot;i know, let's make a game, price it really high becuase the idiot collectors are just going to pay our crazy prices anyway&quot;<br />
<br />
Get a grip man!
<br />
<br />
Lets see how much the digital "Rotator" will cost then genius. I guess 10$. If so who will buy the box?
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:32   #47
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Rochabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: France
Age: 40
Posts: 520
Personally, when Reshoot R was released, i wanted to buy it, but for me it is too expensive for digital download. So i doesn't have bought it....
What is better in terms or business strategy ?
200 guys that bought my game at 10£ because it's affordable
or 50 guys only that bought my game full price 30£ because it's too expensive
That's a choice to do for the develloper

For me the lowest price is the better solution because more people can buy the game and then can talk about it.

It depends on the estimated sales on the projects. I don't how much Reshoot-R digital copy has been bought

For the price, better to have a boxed version, the price difference is minimal.

Perhaps more boxed copy than digital were bougth

It's a way to bring customers to a more expensive box version i think

But this will limit the number of customers for me

10£ for digital and i buy it
Rochabian is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:35   #48
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I know, pre-orders used to be £29.99, but now they're £35.99. I think this maybe my last physical order from them due to the prices, I know I like collecting boxes but I can't see them lowering the prices unless they just sell the box with disk/tape/cart and manual!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Agree, with these prices I'm not really motivated to buy these games anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I like to comment on that.
Black Dawn - Not tried but looks ok.
Worthy - Agree 100%
Bridge Strike - Very good game but sound FX and music is not on par at all.
Skill Grid - The game is ok but I would not call it a high quality release.
Pong 4K - That game need some love. It is also to simple to call a high quality release.
Tiger Claw - In the same park as Skill Grid at best
Solid Gold - It is ok but nothing like Traprunner.
Traprunner - Very good, high quality but as said. Done by 2 brothers for their own fun and nostalgic reasons.
It's not just about whether or not "you" think they are good...

The whole discussion here is about price and value for money; and some Amiga Developers taking the biscuit... All of these 9 games are perfectly priced for what they are

The same can definitely not be said for:

Reshoot:
Physical: https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=273 €23.95
Digital: https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=273 €18.95

Reshoot R:
Physical: https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=293 €34.95
Signature: https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=294 €47.95
Digital: https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=295 €29.95

Rotator:
Physical: http://binaryzone.org/retrostore/ind...0llkgvpijes0l2 £35.95

Matchic:
Physical: http://binaryzone.org/retrostore/ind...roducts_id=470 £35.95

Last edited by DamienD; 19 January 2020 at 23:41.
DamienD is online now  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:37   #49
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
If you can't see the reason why people are saying this price is mental; be my guest and support the developer at this price... off you go then, please take a photo of your purchase afterwards so we know you're not "all mouth and no pants"

I definitely won't be purchasing, but you can see some "collectors" opinions in relation to the boxed price of Rotator in this exact thread:
I have no problem buying quality Amiga games for this price. What I don't know is how good game "Rotator" is. For this we have mags. we have the internet. Frankly I don't care much about the box. I rather pay for the game - the box and shipping. I think Reshoot R was done clever that way.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:44   #50
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I have no problem buying quality Amiga games for this price. What I don't know is how good game "Rotator" is. For this we have mags. we have the internet. Frankly I don't care much about the box. I rather pay for the game - the box and shipping. I think Reshoot R was done clever that way.
If you have no problem purchasing Amiga games at £35.95 and believe it's a good deal / value for money; then I'm really happy for you!!!

Luckily, others aren't that stupid... hence the reason for this thread in the first place.

...but please don't try to portray this thinking as the norm though; you are the exception, on which these guys pray on.
DamienD is online now  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:47   #51
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Rochabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: France
Age: 40
Posts: 520
£30 + boxed games are for collectors (and enthusiastic player )
£10 digital games are for players only

I think it's correct
Rochabian is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:48   #52
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
It's not just about whether or not "you" think they are good...

The whole discussion here is about price and value for money; and some Amiga Developers taking the biscuit... All of these 9 games are perfectly priced for what they are

Matchic:
Physical: http://binaryzone.org/retrostore/ind...roducts_id=470 £35.95

WTF.. This looks like a cheap Puzznic, back in 1991 this would have been PD/Shareware or maybe £14.99 at an absolute push
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:49   #53
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
If you have no problem purchasing Amiga games at <b><font color="red">£35.95</font></b> and believe it's a good deal / value for money; then I'm really happy for you!!! <img src="images/smilies/nuts.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Nuts" smilieid="10" class="inlineimg" /><br />
<br />
Luckily, others aren't that stupid... hence the reason for this thread in the first place. <br />
<br />
...but please don't try to portray this thinking as the norm though; you are the exception, on which these guys pray on.
<br />
<br />
No, you are maybe the exception. Most here I think bought Reshoot R. <br />
This is easy calculation. If they lost 30% sales cause of people like you they still made more money than selling for 20.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:50   #54
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Recently there was an anniversary "Amiga Joker" released. Guess what game topped the charts; Reshoot R.

...and Rygar: The Legendary Warrior was slated as being "unoriginal" and "just a port"; Graeme knows this after getting the article translated from German to English. You can find the discussion somewhere on EAB.

Now, also take a guess who the chief editor / game reviewer of this magazine is? Yup that's right, none other than Richard Lowenstein.
Just so that I set the context, here is what was reviewed and the respective scores in the edition of Amiga Joker.

Reshoot-R
  • GFX 88%
  • ANIMATION 89%
  • MUSIC 90%
  • SFX 85%
  • CONTROLS 85%
  • LONGEVITY 81%
  • PRICE 29 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 87%


Worthy
  • GFX 51%
  • ANIMATION 53%
  • MUSIC 70%
  • SFX 71%
  • CONTROLS 80%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 9 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 75%

Bridge Strike
  • GFX 64%
  • ANIMATION 41%
  • MUSIC 71%
  • SFX 36%
  • CONTROLS 62%
  • LONGEVITY 42%
  • PRICE 11 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 47%

PONG 4K
  • GFX 66%
  • ANIMATION 62%
  • MUSIC 78%
  • SFX 70%
  • CONTROLS 53%
  • LONGEVITY 55%
  • PRICE 5 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 56%


RYGAR
  • GFX 67%
  • ANIMATION 83%
  • MUSIC 75%
  • SFX 70%
  • CONTROLS 85%
  • LONGEVITY 71%
  • PRICE Free
  • OVERALL - 73%

SKILL GRID
  • GFX 76%
  • ANIMATION 61%
  • MUSIC 80%
  • SFX 58%
  • CONTROLS 81%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 8 Euros
  • OVERALL - 70%

TIGER CLAW
  • GFX 59%
  • ANIMATION 52%
  • MUSIC 64%
  • SFX 0%
  • CONTROLS 78%
  • LONGEVITY 71%
  • PRICE 15 Pounds
  • OVERALL - 56%


TALES OF GORLUTH 2
  • GFX 70%
  • ANIMATION 42%
  • MUSIC 85%
  • SFX 31%
  • CONTROLS 64%
  • LONGEVITY 58%
  • PRICE 20 Euros
  • OVERALL - 61%

MATCHIC
  • GFX 34%
  • ANIMATION 21%
  • MUSIC 50%
  • SFX 0%
  • CONTROLS 75%
  • LONGEVITY 70%
  • PRICE 35 Euros
  • OVERALL - 67%

STAR QUAKE
  • GFX 43%
  • ANIMATION 47%
  • MUSIC 68%
  • SFX 45%
  • CONTROLS 71%
  • LONGEVITY 58%
  • PRICE 45 Pound
  • OVERALL - 53%

POWER GLOVE
  • GFX 65%
  • ANIMATION 60%
  • MUSIC 65%
  • SFX 60%
  • CONTROLS 75%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 15 Euros
  • OVERALL - 61%



There's also a selection of back in the day games that have been reviewed... I'll just list what the over all scores were...
  • Secret of Monkey Island 2 - 89%
  • Flash Back 75%
  • Turrican 2 87%
  • Lemmings 78%
  • Rise of the Robots 32%
  • Populous 67%
  • UFO Enemy Unknown 85%
  • Lost Patrol 81%
  • Wings of Fury 80%
  • F18 Interceptor 81%
  • Stunt Car Racer 85%

So a couple of points I would make:
1) Reshoot-R while it's a good game, isn't in the same league as Turrican 2 or Monkey Island, I don't care what anyone says...it just isn't.

2) The reviewer (probably Richard) forgot that Rygar is a direct arcade port, the quality of the port should be judged against what the arcade game was like which in my opinion is very close, had this been done then it may have scored higher, I should also add that it's the only free game on the list.

I guess I was a little upset that Rygar scored only a little higher than Power Glove and Skill Grid, although I wiped my tears away turning the page to see it was in the same league as Flash Back.

I have nothing against Richard, but if I was him I would probably not have reviewed my own game in a magazine that I'm associated with because the end result of what was published was a right fucking load of bollocks.



Graeme
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:51   #55
Overmann
Registered User

Overmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 246
Djises @DamienD, there was nothing wrong with @nikosidis post. Surely there is no reason to get that sour? If he says he is happy to pay whatever amount for a quality product that does not justify you calling him stupid. I understand you're passionate about this but there is no reason for this kind of nonesense:

"... then I'm really happy for you!!!

Luckily, others aren't that stupid..."
Overmann is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:52   #56
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
WTF.. This looks like a cheap Puzznic, back in 1991 this would have been PD/Shareware or maybe £14.99 at an absolute push
Agree 100% This is not high quality.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:52   #57
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
No, you are maybe the exception. Most here I think bought Reshoot R.
For your information; yes I have purchased both Reshoot games... did you not read what I wrote in the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Let me guess, "Reshoot" way too expensive for what it is? I purchased this; and that's my honest opinion. Same with "Reshoot R"...
DamienD is online now  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:56   #58
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
The whole thing is absolute bollox... I haven't read that magazine, and now there is no reason to, because it really does sound like it's a joker!!!!


If Richard can do a platform better than Turrican 2 then I urge him to prove his abilities.. Turrican 2 for me is by far the best Amiga platform game. Everything about that game is polished, and it stands heads and shoulders above just about everything else!!


Rygar is a fantastic game, and again I urge anyone else to do better to feel free to show you how it is done!





Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Just so that I set the context, here is what was reviewed and the respective scores in the edition of Amiga Joker.

Reshoot-R
  • GFX 88%
  • ANIMATION 89%
  • MUSIC 90%
  • SFX 85%
  • CONTROLS 85%
  • LONGEVITY 81%
  • PRICE 29 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 87%


Worthy
  • GFX 51%
  • ANIMATION 53%
  • MUSIC 70%
  • SFX 71%
  • CONTROLS 80%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 9 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 75%

Bridge Strike
  • GFX 64%
  • ANIMATION 41%
  • MUSIC 71%
  • SFX 36%
  • CONTROLS 62%
  • LONGEVITY 42%
  • PRICE 11 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 47%

PONG 4K
  • GFX 66%
  • ANIMATION 62%
  • MUSIC 78%
  • SFX 70%
  • CONTROLS 53%
  • LONGEVITY 55%
  • PRICE 5 Euros.
  • OVERALL - 56%


RYGAR
  • GFX 67%
  • ANIMATION 83%
  • MUSIC 75%
  • SFX 70%
  • CONTROLS 85%
  • LONGEVITY 71%
  • PRICE Free
  • OVERALL - 73%

SKILL GRID
  • GFX 76%
  • ANIMATION 61%
  • MUSIC 80%
  • SFX 58%
  • CONTROLS 81%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 8 Euros
  • OVERALL - 70%

TIGER CLAW
  • GFX 59%
  • ANIMATION 52%
  • MUSIC 64%
  • SFX 0%
  • CONTROLS 78%
  • LONGEVITY 71%
  • PRICE 15 Pounds
  • OVERALL - 56%


TALES OF GORLUTH 2
  • GFX 70%
  • ANIMATION 42%
  • MUSIC 85%
  • SFX 31%
  • CONTROLS 64%
  • LONGEVITY 58%
  • PRICE 20 Euros
  • OVERALL - 61%

MATCHIC
  • GFX 34%
  • ANIMATION 21%
  • MUSIC 50%
  • SFX 0%
  • CONTROLS 75%
  • LONGEVITY 70%
  • PRICE 35 Euros
  • OVERALL - 67%

STAR QUAKE
  • GFX 43%
  • ANIMATION 47%
  • MUSIC 68%
  • SFX 45%
  • CONTROLS 71%
  • LONGEVITY 58%
  • PRICE 45 Pound
  • OVERALL - 53%

POWER GLOVE
  • GFX 65%
  • ANIMATION 60%
  • MUSIC 65%
  • SFX 60%
  • CONTROLS 75%
  • LONGEVITY 75%
  • PRICE 15 Euros
  • OVERALL - 61%



There's also a selection of back in the day games that have been reviewed... I'll just list what the over all scores were...
  • Secret of Monkey Island 2 - 89%
  • Flash Back 75%
  • Turrican 2 87%
  • Lemmings 78%
  • Rise of the Robots 32%
  • Populous 67%
  • UFO Enemy Unknown 85%
  • Lost Patrol 81%
  • Wings of Fury 80%
  • F18 Interceptor 81%
  • Stunt Car Racer 85%

So a couple of points I would make:
1) Reshoot-R while it's a good game, isn't in the same league as Turrican 2 or Monkey Island, I don't care what anyone says...it just isn't.

2) The reviewer (probably Richard) forgot that Rygar is a direct arcade port, the quality of the port should be judged against what the arcade game was like which in my opinion is very close, had this been done then it may have scored higher, I should also add that it's the only free game on the list.

I guess I was a little upset that Rygar scored only a little higher than Power Glove and Skill Grid, although I wiped my tears away turning the page to see it was in the same league as Flash Back.

I have nothing against Richard, but if I was him I would probably not have reviewed my own game in a magazine that I'm associated with because the end result of what was published was a right fucking load of bollocks.



Graeme
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:56   #59
Overmann
Registered User

Overmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 246
I don't think I've seen a newly released amiga game that I would pay any amount of money for, to be honest. Perhaps I'm not keeping up with the scene, but I've not come across anything that made me want to play it, let alone pay for it.
Overmann is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:56   #60
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
WTF.. This looks like a cheap Puzznic, back in 1991 this would have been PD/Shareware or maybe £14.99 at an absolute push
I said the same thing BippyM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
It's absolutely nuts...

I felt exactly the same way when I saw the news related to this game a month or so ago: Matchic.

I mean; it's a poor man's Puzznic or any of these... and you want to charge how much exactly? I wouldn't pay more than a fiver
DamienD is online now  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game speed discussion BippyM Coders. General 6 20 June 2019 11:27
PSX game made by Amiga developers Shatterhand Retrogaming General Discussion 20 05 January 2015 10:40
Any Amiga commercial game developers/programmers here? quahappy Nostalgia & memories 10 28 December 2013 14:19
old game developers jrom Nostalgia & memories 11 10 June 2004 16:12

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.11118 seconds with 16 queries