English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: How do you feel about some of the recent pricing for Amiga games?
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 2 40.00%
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 1 20.00%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 0 0%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 January 2020, 18:00   #21
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Then quite obviously, you need to find a more competitive alternative to Digistore24.
That was just an "excuse example" that Richard used; as he knows the "20 - 45%" take is quite high with this distributor. Most definitely not the norm, but it obviously suited his agenda in this discussion

Richard doesn't use them; all his productions are advertised free across all Amiga forums / websites, but sold via Amiga Future / APC&TCP

...be it the game, soundtrack, poster or mouse mat.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Reshoot" tattoo to appear for sale

Last edited by DamienD; 19 January 2020 at 18:15.
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 18:18   #22
BarryB
Amigaholic

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I may be able to shed some light on this.

The first thing you have to take into account is Inflation, in 1992 £14 is the equivalent to £25 in today's prices, and £25 in 1992 is £45.

https://www.inflationtool.com/britis...e?amount=25.00

Here's the forecasts I did for the Rygar boxes:

Product (inc. VAT) £5.21 50 £260.50
Shipping and CIF £101.59 1 £101.59
Total £362.09
Duty @11% £46.00
Foam £1.00 £50.00
Envelopes £0.36 £18.00
Total Delivered Cost £476.09
Price per box £9.52

Now that doesn't include a manual, the floppy disks or the labels. So you can safely add about £4.00 to the price per game box.

£13.50 to produce a Frontier 2 sized box which if I'm honest, anything else just won't do as there's no point.

Now what is the real kicker is the delivery and distribution costs, unless you use a distributor who'll take a hefty cut, delivering into Europe is about £6 un-tracked, £10 tracked, outside of Europe costs more... like £13.

So before you even start you're looking at £15-£20 just to get the box delivered to the customer based on small numbers (50).

Now to code a game takes a long time, it took me a year to do Rygar and it's well documented, 6 months to do Bomb Jack, but did I do for the money? ... if I did I would be completely skint.

So what do I think is fair...? If a game is good people will buy it/support the devs/community, if it's bad people won't buy it (Iron Gate/Amiten shite)...or at least they won't buy it in decent numbers (At least 100+)

For me I would be well happy if I made £1,000 a year from making Amiga games, any money I made from Rygar I fed back into the Amiga and the community.

So I think for a well made game that took 6-9 months to create then on digital download people should be paying around £5 to £10, if they want a shiny box delivered around the World then it should be circa £30.

Don't forget - games is not just about the coder...the entire team should be paid depending on the circumstances.

Geezer
Get me a Boxed Rygar and I'll buy it, seriously

I can appreciate the effort people like you go to to create these games, bringing all the pieces together must be a real headache at times and we never really see or hear that, just the updates and final product, so the 'behind the scenes' glimpse is refreshing, just wonder how many others will be so transparent?

I do buy a fair few Amiga/C64 homebrew/indie games so I do pay 'whatever' they are priced at (except 'crowd funding' as I hate that) but i'm starting to spend too much trying to support these projects due to the points you raise, ever increasing costs which have to be passed onto the customer as you don't have the resources of a 'AAA' game studio to soak up distribution/development costs. I guess that's why there are only a handful of people willing to go to that effort to bring their ideas to the Amiga community?

Thanks for your valued contribution to this issue mcgeezer
BarryB is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 18:20   #23
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Get me a Boxed Rygar and I'll buy it, seriously
Considering there are only 10 made and these are as rare as hen's teeth... you can have mine for £500 BarryB

Of course I'm only joking; I'll never sell it
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 18:21   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
That was just an "excuse example" that Richard used; as he knows the "20 - 45%" take is quite high with this distributor. Most definitely not the norm, but it obviously suited his agenda in this discussion

Richard doesn't use them; all his productions are advertised free across all Amiga forums / websites, but sold via Amiga Future / APC&TCP

...be it the game, soundtrack, poster or mouse mat.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Reshoot" tattoo to appear for sale
I will await this tattoo, I'm thinking of a gaming arm to match my superhero arm
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 18:51   #25
BarryB
Amigaholic

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Considering there are only 10 made and these are as rare as hen's teeth... you can have mine for £500 BarryB

Of course I'm only joking; I'll never sell it
And of course you're only over valuing it
BarryB is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 18:57   #26
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Considering there are only 10 made and these are as rare as hen's teeth... you can have mine for £500 BarryB

Of course I'm only joking; I'll never sell it
I dunno.... there's one going on Ebay for £770 and going....

and I have a long pokey nose.[/COLOR
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 19:00   #27
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
And of course you're only over valuing it
Oh, is the price not in-line with other certain Amiga Devs being discussed here?

Thought it was, and obviously took into consideration the same ludicrous factors that they did

...and you have to remember that there are only 10 ever made so; RARE, RARE, RARE!!!
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 19:10   #28
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
So I think for a well made game that took 6-9 months to create then on digital download people should be paying around £5 to £10, if they want a shiny box delivered around the World then it should be circa £30.
Graeme, your points are all very valid indeed

Please don't be confused by Richard's pricing though; all his products definitely exclude shipping costs... these are extra, and passed onto the consumer after adding into the basket / at point of sale
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 19:12   #29
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I may be able to shed some light on this.

The first thing you have to take into account is Inflation, in 1992 £14 is the equivalent to £25 in today's prices, and £25 in 1992 is £45.

https://www.inflationtool.com/britis...e?amount=25.00

Here's the forecasts I did for the Rygar boxes:

Product (inc. VAT) £5.21 50 £260.50
Shipping and CIF £101.59 1 £101.59
Total £362.09
Duty @11% £46.00
Foam £1.00 £50.00
Envelopes £0.36 £18.00
Total Delivered Cost £476.09
Price per box £9.52

Now that doesn't include a manual, the floppy disks or the labels. So you can safely add about £4.00 to the price per game box.

£13.50 to produce a Frontier 2 sized box which if I'm honest, anything else just won't do as there's no point.

Now what is the real kicker is the delivery and distribution costs, unless you use a distributor who'll take a hefty cut, delivering into Europe is about £6 un-tracked, £10 tracked, outside of Europe costs more... like £13.

So before you even start you're looking at £15-£20 just to get the box delivered to the customer based on small numbers (50).

Now to code a game takes a long time, it took me a year to do Rygar and it's well documented, 6 months to do Bomb Jack, but did I do for the money? ... if I did I would be completely skint.

So what do I think is fair...? If a game is good people will buy it/support the devs/community, if it's bad people won't buy it (Iron Gate/Amiten shite)...or at least they won't buy it in decent numbers (At least 100+)

For me I would be well happy if I made £1,000 a year from making Amiga games, any money I made from Rygar I fed back into the Amiga and the community.

So I think for a well made game that took 6-9 months to create then on digital download people should be paying around £5 to £10, if they want a shiny box delivered around the World then it should be circa £30.

Don't forget - games is not just about the coder...the entire team should be paid depending on the circumstances.

Geezer
This!
Steril707 is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 19:18   #30
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Please don't be confused by Richard's pricing though; all his products definitely exclude shipping costs... these are extra, and passed onto the consumer after adding into the basket / at point of sale
I didn't know that, and if that's the case then I can only agree it's a hefty price.
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 20:08   #31
BarryB
Amigaholic

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh, is the price not in-line with other certain Amiga Devs being discussed here?

Thought it was, and obviously took into consideration the same ludicrous factors that they did

...and you have to remember that there are only 10 ever made so; RARE, RARE, RARE!!!
Lol, now you're getting the hang of this valuation malarky

It's also the standard ebay tactic, put RARE in the title and see the bids roll in
BarryB is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 20:36   #32
NeoHippie2016
Freak
NeoHippie2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Gladbeck
Age: 43
Posts: 432
If someone not willing to pay the full price for a game, the creator spend much time to creating their products! Buy it or not! End of discussion...
NeoHippie2016 is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 21:05   #33
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
It's not about that NeoHippie2016; of course we can all decide whether to either purchase or not...

...and I imagine as others have already mentioned in regards to Rotator or Matchic; they definitely won't.

This thread is related to the unrealistic prices being set by a small minority of greedy Game Developers who overvalue their games to the Nth degree; without any valid reason.

If this continues, then others follow suit... and as is now clear, others are already jumping on the bandwagon and following a certain person's lead.
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 21:19   #34
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
If this continues, then others follow suit... and as is now clear, others are already jumping on the bandwagon and following a certain person's lead.

and when they are reviewed, the reviewer will often view the game through rose tinted glasses, and praise it, even if the game is poor (I am not stating any of these will be poor).



Retrogaming has become mainstream due to social media and the likes of the average joe being able to jump on the band wagon. This has brought out the developers who are hoping to use that inexperience, gullible, nostalgia to push out new games at modern day retail prices!


There isn't an Amiga game on this planet I would pay more than £10 for., I genuinely don't think any new Amiga game would keep my interest long enough to warrant the higher prices.. But that is me!


At the end of the day, it is like anything.. Once it goes mainstream, the leeches move in. Once this retro bubble burts, things will hopefully settle down.. I hope users vote with their wallets!
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 21:25   #35
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
and when they are reviewed, the reviewer will often view the game through rose tinted glasses, and praise it, even if the game is poor (I am not stating any of these will be poor).
Ain't that the truth BippyM, really funny that you should mention that

Recently there was an anniversary "Amiga Joker" released. Guess what game topped the charts; Reshoot R.

...and Rygar: The Legendary Warrior was slated as being "unoriginal" and "just a port"; Graeme knows this after getting the article translated from German to English. You can find the discussion somewhere on EAB.

Now, also take a guess who the chief editor / game reviewer of this magazine is? Yup that's right, none other than Richard Lowenstein.

Coincidence, you decide?

Funny that his own game was best and obviously no bias applied; that's some clever marketing right there and bound to bring in a few more sales

Last edited by DamienD; 19 January 2020 at 21:40.
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 21:27   #36
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 44
Posts: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Ain't that the truth BippyM, really funny that you should mention that

Recently there was an anniversary "Amiga Joker" released. Guess what game topped the charts; Reshoot R.

...and Rygar: The Legendary Warrior was slated being "unoriginal" and "just a port"; Graeme know this.

Also take a guess who the author of this magazine and Reshoot R is; none other than Richard Lowenstein.

That's some clever marketing right there
Unreal isn't it.
BippyM is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 22:27   #37
BarryB
Amigaholic

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,132
This POLL about new Amiga games suggests $20 is what the majority of voters would pay!
BarryB is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 22:39   #38
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
This POLL about new Amiga games suggests $20 is what the majority of voters would pay!
Very interesting; sounds about correct, and fair in this 30 year old Amiga market.

I had to laugh with this comment from Predseda:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I have paid for a lot of recent games that have been released commercially or at least in boxed collectors edition, so I WOULD pay for it. On the other hand, it really depends on the game and maybe even the genre. I would buy Powerglove, I wouldn't buy Reshoot.
Let me guess, "Reshoot" way too expensive for what it is? I purchased this; and that's my honest opinion. Same with "Reshoot R"...

If the price was more realistic i.e. halved; would you then consider purchasing?
DamienD is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:08   #39
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 42
Posts: 5,644
Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I like ReshootR, i do not like Reshoot. But I am mostly into platformers.
Predseda is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:12   #40
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 49
Sorry, but how old the market is does not give any indication of the price of anything.
Sure the quality does. I can not imagine anyone buying Amiga pacman clone for 50£
Last but not least this is a very limited market. If you like to invest a quality game
for this market and survive the price must be high. A lot do this just for their own pleasure
and nostalgic reasons. This is shown with some of the best quality games done for the Amiga recent years.
Traprunner series and Gianna sisters remake. All free! I guess Gianna remake is like other quality releases
like Bombjack, beer edition and Rygar as they are not allowed to sell for copyright reasons.
The problem is that it is rare that quality like this come for free and do we want quality or do we want crap.
nikosidis is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game speed discussion BippyM Coders. General 6 20 June 2019 11:27
PSX game made by Amiga developers Shatterhand Retrogaming General Discussion 20 05 January 2015 10:40
Any Amiga commercial game developers/programmers here? quahappy Nostalgia & memories 10 28 December 2013 14:19
old game developers jrom Nostalgia & memories 11 10 June 2004 16:12

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.17837 seconds with 16 queries