English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 08 January 2020, 02:36   #2761
BullyDog

Oh yes he did... when he hints at donations... wink wink.
Old 08 January 2020, 09:22   #2762
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Another cool update
This time, of the choice, I have choosen a less easy game at first glance (but nice if you play it)

#33.2

<< >>
reInstallDDWC scipt updated

Last edited by malko; 27 October 2020 at 00:04.
Old 09 January 2020, 19:50   #2763
DamienD
Banned

As I've managed to see the correct title screenshot for The Quest Of Agravain; now updated from:

to

Just download / extract the attached into "C:\WinUAE"

Last edited by DamienD; 11 January 2020 at 19:00.
Old 09 January 2020, 23:56   #2764
Pixelfill

So Damien kindly provided a link to his collection, so here's my thoughts.

Firstly the bad points: The biggest negative is that I'll not be spending as much time playing with 68K assembler as I'd orginally planned .

Now for the good:
The collection is impeccably curated, I've not found anything that doesn't just work, and I've spent some time playing . Once I'd got over the SPS dll that's included being 32bit and my WinUAE install being 64 bit (starting just goes to the Kickstart screen if you have a mismatched version), everything I've tried is great. The boxart and screen shots add so much to the experience, and all my old time favourites are there:
Carcharadon
Head over Heels (this was a C64 favourite)
Armalyte (also a 64 favourite)
Wings of Fury
SuperCars 2
Even some games I forgot that I had previously owned:
Enlightenment - I lent an original to a friend at school and never got it back
In fact the only game I can't find that I remember playing is Gameboy Tetris (!)

I also realise now that previously I was using WinUAE all wrong! Having each game as a "configuration" is so much cleaner than having specific machine configurations and loading floppies like you might with a physical Amiga.

I did have some sound issues with Warcraft 2, but seeing as its a MAC shapeshifter release I think I'm being a bit picky lol.

I'm blown away … Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Old 10 January 2020, 00:10   #2765
DamienD
Banned

Heya Mike,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write such a detailed review, much appreciated

Some points I'd like to address below though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelfill View Post
Once I'd got over the SPS dll that's included being 32bit and my WinUAE install being 64 bit (starting just goes to the Kickstart screen if you have a mismatched version)
Why do you need to use the 64-bit version of WinUAE? It's only really required if you're going to set crazy RAM requirements i.e. 1GB for OS 4.1...

In my package I use the 32-bit version; this is so people can use it no matter what their OS is; 32-bit or 64-bit

Quote:
In fact the only game I can't find that I remember playing is Gameboy Tetris (!)
Can't find that on HOL. Is it a PD game?

For suggestions on good games that I've somehow missed; please put a note in this thread and I'll investigate: Request for any gems

Quote:
I did have some sound issues with Warcraft 2, but seeing as its a MAC shapeshifter release I think I'm being a bit picky lol.
Weird, never experienced that personally or anybody mentioned this previously...

Can you be more specific as to the sound issues?

Last edited by DamienD; 10 January 2020 at 00:20.
Old 10 January 2020, 01:06   #2766
Pixelfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Why do you need to use the 64-bit version of WinUAE? It's only really required if you're going to set crazy RAM requirements i.e. 1GB for OS 4.1...

In my package I use the 32-bit version; this is so people can use it no matter what their OS is; 32-bit or 64-bit
Plainly cos I'm an idiot - I have Win10 64bit so downloaded the 64bit version of WinUAE. I didn't realise the implications until I couldn't load any games with IPFs, ironically the 2nd (arcade pool) and 3rd games (Pinball Illusions AGA) I tried (!). I checked through the thread and realised the error of my ways - with pretty much the same rebuke used previously lol

Quote:
Can't find that on HOL. Is it a PD game?
I'm not sure PD is the correct description. but it wasn't commercial I think it's either a rip of the original Gameboy ROM, or a recreation. From memory it was maybe released by Crystal. I've got the floppy; if it's still readable I'll try to grab an adf of it.
I'm obviously not going to be short of Tetris options in the meantime

Quote:
Weird, never experienced that personally or anybody mentioned this previously...

Can you be more specific as to the sound issues?
I noticed that the sound effects stopped during playing the first mission, I'll try again to see if I can replicate it. It's probably something I did.

Mike
Old 10 January 2020, 01:40   #2767
Pixelfill

Quote:
I noticed that the sound effects stopped during playing the first mission, I'll try again to see if I can replicate it. It's probably something I did.
Mike
I've just tried the Warcraft 2 mission again, and I now think it's somehow related to my keyboard.

Using the keyboard shortcuts, sometimes they don't appear to register, i.e. M doesn't allow you to move.

It looks like somehow random modifiers are being applied - once or twice R brought up the restart mission dialog (this should be Cmd-R), and at least once M brought up the menu (Cmd-M). This last game I had 3 different behaviours when pressing M, Move command [M], Game Menu [Cmd-M], No effect [Opt-M?]

I suspect at some point I pressed S, and it actually registered as Alt-S and disabled the sound effects, or A registered as Alt-A and disabled the acknowledgements.

bizarre, but I now don't believe a sound issue. Possibly a keyboard handling gremlin, key ghosting? but certainly not related to your config

Mike
Old 10 January 2020, 09:50   #2768
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Plainly cos I'm an idiot - I have Win10 64bit so downloaded the 64bit version of WinUAE. I didn't realise the implications until I couldn't load any games with IPFs, ironically the 2nd (arcade pool) and 3rd games (Pinball Illusions AGA) I tried (!). I checked through the thread and realised the error of my ways - with pretty much the same rebuke used previously lol
You can use the 64-bit version of WinUAE if you really want to... but then in order to be able to load .IPFs you'll need to downloaded the .DLL from here and place in "C:\WinUAE": http://www.softpres.org/download

Quote:
I'm not sure PD is the correct description. but it wasn't commercial I think it's either a rip of the original Gameboy ROM, or a recreation. From memory it was maybe released by Crystal. I've got the floppy; if it's still readable I'll try to grab an adf of it.
You must be talking about this:

The Ultimate Gameboy Simulator - Tetris (1992)(Symbiosis)(FW).zip

I know why you said this though: "From memory it was maybe released by Crystal".

The following was in the "Crystal" cracktro for Agony:

Quote:
I've just tried the Warcraft 2 mission again, and I now think it's somehow related to my keyboard.

Using the keyboard shortcuts, sometimes they don't appear to register, i.e. M doesn't allow you to move.

It looks like somehow random modifiers are being applied - once or twice R brought up the restart mission dialog (this should be Cmd-R), and at least once M brought up the menu (Cmd-M). This last game I had 3 different behaviours when pressing M, Move command [M], Game Menu [Cmd-M], No effect [Opt-M?]

I suspect at some point I pressed S, and it actually registered as Alt-S and disabled the sound effects, or A registered as Alt-A and disabled the acknowledgements.

bizarre, but I now don't believe a sound issue. Possibly a keyboard handling gremlin, key ghosting? but certainly not related to your config

Mike
I've never experienced that; and I always use the shortcut keys for actions.

Also, I've played through the first 2 scenarios numerous times on both Warcraft games when I was testing (on the AGA and RTG versions that I setup)

Last edited by DamienD; 10 January 2020 at 15:25.
Old 10 January 2020, 19:30   #2769
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Here you go Mike, just download / extract the attached into "C:\WinUAE"

...this will be in the next Update Pack anyway, but thought you'd appreciate now.

Old 10 January 2020, 21:18   #2770
Exodous

Damien, I just wanted to thank you very much for your collection. I've had lots of fun with my son, going through old games I used to play when I was younger and he's found some new favourites of his own.

We've linked up his PS4 controller via USB (no drivers needed with Windows 10 1909) and other than having to swap the joyport/mouse around depending upon the game, it's been great and has worked with all the games we've tried that use a joystick.

I think he spent as much time over Christmas playing the retro racing games like Lotus Turbo Challenge as he did Project Cars and Gran Turismo with his steering wheel on the PS4.

Your efforts are much appreciated
Old 10 January 2020, 21:25   #2771
DamienD
Banned

Nice one Exodus; thanks for your post

You know when playing from joystick:

Quote:
  • "Keyboard Layout B" is set for "Port 2"; obviously if you plug in your joystick / controller and press button one it will swap over. With the second joystick / controller, press the 2nd button to swap over.
Old 11 January 2020, 00:10   #2772
DamienD
Banned

Given the excellent news from Sir Galahad tonight regarding Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Recoil v1.3 final.

* Cracktro fixed so unaffects loading
* Amiga remix by ADRDesign updated
* NTSC/PAL detection and timing for both

It's attached, enjoy.

Time to move onto something else
So, please just do the following:
  • Delete the <gamedir> "C:\WinUAE\Games\Recoil".
  • Download / extract the attached into "C:\WinUAE".

Old 11 January 2020, 00:48   #2773
Pixelfill

Quote:
You can use the 64-bit version of WinUAE if you really want to... but then in order to be able to load .IPFs you'll need to downloaded the .DLL from here and place in "C:\WinUAE": http://www.softpres.org/download
Thanks. I had identified that from searching. but it's good information to have here in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I'll probably keep the 64bit version for 2 reasons:
1) I'm lazy
2) I might start dabbling with Lightwave so having a big chunk of memory might be useful.

Quote:
THAT'S IT!
Quote:
Here you go Mike, just download / extract the attached into "C:\WinUAE"

...this will be in the next Update Pack anyway, but thought you'd appreciate now.
Awesome thanks so much

Quote:
I know why you said this though: "From memory it was maybe released by Crystal".

The following was in the "Crystal" cracktro for Agony:

That would absolutely explain it
Quote:
I've never experienced that; and I always use the shortcut keys for actions.

Also, I've played through the first 2 scenarios numerous times on both Warcraft games when I was testing (on the AGA and RTG versions that I setup)
I figured out what was happening here, I have a Logitech G13 Gameboard, with the modifier keys mapped to some of the buttons, it turns out I'd placed something on top of the keys and it was depressing them . The good news therefore is there is nothing at fault outside of my room

Once again great set-up

Mike
Old 11 January 2020, 18:55   #2774
DamienD
Banned

Time for the first part of "Update Pack #34"

Details are as follows:

1 game update:
... Recoil [Atari ST conversion]

1 title / sshot update:
... The Quest of Agravain

2 new "cheats / hints / level codes / manuals / maps / walkthroughs" addition:
... Railroad Tycoon
... Supremacy - Your Will Be Done

10 new game additions:

Code:
A-Train
Gazza II
Gazza's Super Soccer
International Soccer Challenge
Lancaster
Railroad Tycoon
Supremacy - Your Will Be Done
The Ultimate Game Boy Simulator - Tetris
ThunderStrike
Wolfpack
This now brings the total number of games in my collection to 2970

PMs will be sent out shortly

Last edited by DamienD; 12 January 2020 at 10:25.
Old 11 January 2020, 19:54   #2775
Viceroy

You're not going to slow down till you hit that 3000! Thanks again ;-)
Old 12 January 2020, 07:03   #2776
Valken

Awesome work Damien! Thanks again! We owe you a few rounds of chips, beers and whatever else would be your favorites!
Old 12 January 2020, 10:39   #2777
Martecx

I wanted to thank Damiend for his work and I wanted to suggest a game to add to the

collection: "The age of rock" which I find fun. I also updated and added things to the

collection list:

https://mega.nz/#!zmxjQS7C!R1nW-3zts...1EXT3T9fmh2XQU
Old 12 January 2020, 18:20   #2778
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martecx View Post
I wanted to thank Damiend for his work
Cheers Martecx

Quote:
and I wanted to suggest a game to add to the collection: "The age of rock" which I find fun.
No problem, I'll put The Age of Rock down on my list of possible games to add in the future and investigate when I get some free time

Quote:
I also updated and added things to the collection list:

https://mega.nz/#!zmxjQS7C!R1nW-3zts...1EXT3T9fmh2XQU
Great, downloaded and thanks for your efforts
Old 12 January 2020, 23:57   #2779
SimonPPC

The Age of Rock is a clone of the game Blasteris
I never before seen!
Old 15 January 2020, 01:00   #2780
DamienD
Banned

So tonight I was messing around again

Just like with Stalker; it annoyed me that the following games were missing nice title screenshots: So tonight I updated both games in my collection to show the following:

Just download / extract both attached archives into "C:\WinUAE"

Last edited by DamienD; 21 January 2020 at 12:30.