English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 20 September 2016, 01:06   #1
honx

genetic species

i have a problem about configuring genetic species. if i start the game from cd, i can choose rtg (uae) graphic modes.
but the display is small and not centered. if i click cancel, i have fullscreen but only aga available.
and i have no cd audio if i start from cd. once quit to worbench i get following errors:
GeneticSpecies.exe Programmfehler (Fehlernr. 8000008) and CON (80000008). after amiga+amiga+ctrl i get guru.

if i try starting the game with CDDA icon from GSAddOns, i can utilize audio cd but if i choose a screenmode in screenmode requester,
screen flickers all the time so i have to do amiga+amiga+ctrl. so my only option to click is cancel, which means aga only.
i have fullscreen and cd audio playback working. but the game screen in the center is tiny.
window size is empty, if i try to adjust, i get yellow recoverable alert and "could not allocate enough continuous memory".
after clicking on cancel i get the error cdda.prefs ... (80000020) and then guru.

so which (uae)configuration do i need for genetic species running with rtg in fullscreen with full size game display and cd audio?
Old 20 September 2016, 01:24   #2
Sandro
Banned

select 640x480 rtg then exit to workbench , then reboot and run the game again
if the trick not works you can use AGA 320x250 the visual is the same
Old 20 September 2016, 01:38   #3
honx

thats the problem in gsaddons:if i select screen mode in rtg requester, screen flickers black.
i have to do amiga+amiga+ctrl. and because i idiot saved it, the rtg requester doesn's show again.
so i get flickering directly and have no more chance to play this version of the game where cd audio works.
and if the rtg requester still would show up an its cancel still would work, which it doesn't because i saved,
i couldn't select window size, because empty. and trying to select something blind brings this yellow alert.
where does gs save it's stuff? so that i can delete it and get the rtg requester back for cancel button?

//edit if i move genetic.prefs out of prefs:env-archive, then rtg requester is still skipped but game starts.
rtg is selected BUT no more cd audio, even in this gsaddons version. and display is not fullscreen at all.
and no matter if i select german language and save or not, the game stays english localized at all.
so after all this trying i have absolute NO possibility left for playing genetic species with cd audio.
i fcking shouldn't have touched this shit. now i killed it, i guess.

Last edited by honx; 20 September 2016 at 02:35.
Old 20 September 2016, 03:32   #4
emufan

i've not installed the whole game, but just downloaded the GSaddon.lha
when i start GeneticSpecies.exe on the shell, snoopdos tells me after the RTG requester,
RtgScreenMode.prefs has been written in default folder - the directory where i started GeneticSpecies.exe from shell.

when i delete RtgScreenMode.prefs it shows the RTG screenmode requester again.

Last edited by emufan; 20 September 2016 at 03:41.
Old 20 September 2016, 15:45   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

You can start one AGA screen and ignore request, you can see from this my old videos.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 September 2016, 18:09   #6
honx

i would ignore a requester if there still would a requester would show up to ignore. but it doesn't show up.
right after asking for cd device emulation goes into black screen flickering where i can't see/do anything.
at this point i can only amiga+amiga+ctrl for reboot. btw., i can't find this rtgscreenmode.prefs anywhere.
Old 21 September 2016, 01:34   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

It regards the request that comes only if you have a Workbench RTG, se hai a Workbench PAL (AGA) the request does not appear. For the black screen make sure you've assigned the right path example (Assign GENETICS: Doom/GeneticSpecies) and see if you have the system all the required libraries, You find them in "GeneticSpecies/Libs".
Old 21 September 2016, 11:48   #8
honx

how do i start a worbench pal screen? just boot from a os3.1 or an os3.9 emergency disk can't do it.
but then all assigns and prefs are gone, Startup-sequence & user-startup won't be executed.
and as i said, the rtg requester is gone since i was brainless enough to click the save button.
for genetic species i didn't have to bother with assigns till now, as game cd itsself is called GENETICS:
Old 21 September 2016, 21:08   #9
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
i would ignore a requester if there still would a requester would show up to ignore. but it doesn't show up.
right after asking for cd device emulation goes into black screen flickering where i can't see/do anything.
at this point i can only amiga+amiga+ctrl for reboot. btw., i can't find this rtgscreenmode.prefs anywhere.
the file rtgscreenmode.prefs is in GSAaddons dir
if you delete such file it will ask for screen mode when you run the game
select UAE GFX 640x480 if you want to use RTG screen

the file cdda.prefs store prefs for the cd music,you must set the correct scsi device and ID number to make it to work
so click CDDA icon and configure it
Old 22 September 2016, 21:59   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
how do i start a worbench pal screen? just boot from a os3.1 or an os3.9 emergency disk can't do it:
I hope you understand, look at my little video

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 October 2016 at 20:04.
Old 17 October 2016, 15:59   #11
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
the file rtgscreenmode.prefs is in GSAaddons dir
if you delete such file it will ask for screen mode when you run the game
select UAE GFX 640x480 if you want to use RTG screen
not in my directory. my gsaddons dir contains: genetics, engine, readme, cdda, cdda.prefs and geneticspecies.exe - that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I hope you understand, look at my little video
not really, sry. is it that bootmanager like thing in the beginning of the video?
video is too fast and most thing is italy or spanish or what language this is.

btw. if i start geneticspecies from gsaddons dir with cdda for cd audio, then it doesnt' use the installed german files.
the game stays english, even when i set language to german in settings ingame. no matter what, game just ignores it.
my assign points: Assign Genetics: Games01:Genetic_Species, where Genetic Species is installed with all languages.
GSAddOns is a seperarte dir, do i have to copy its contents INTO main Genetic_Species dir and overwrite files in there?

the game seems to look after thes settings on the Genetic Species CD, which unfortunately also is called "Genetics:"
how can i mount the audio part only of the gs cd? so that i have audiotracks from cd but settings from the harddisk.

Last edited by honx; 17 October 2016 at 16:10.
Old 17 October 2016, 21:52   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
not really, sry. is it that bootmanager like thing in the beginning of the video?
video is too fast and most thing is italy or spanish or what language this is.
So while the menu is in Italiano, although there is some English word,the menu is called BootMan, very comfortable, i used it on all my AMiGA with HD (A4000, A1200 e CD32). With BootMan You can set multiple startup-sequence in order tostart a system as needed.

BootMan on CD32 Real
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 March 2017 at 00:43.
Old 18 October 2016, 14:56   #13
honx

thx, i'll have a look into bootman. i guess, this will bie a longer reading...

finally i found a trick how i actually play genetic species with cd audio and rtg in 640x480 (+ centered):
readded "Assign Genetics: Games01:Genetic_Species" to user-startup so it's assigned on startup.
this done, boot amigaos, WITHOUT gs cd inserted. run cdda from Genetic_Species folder on harddrive.
when CDDA Prefs window pops up, not until THEN insert the cd into drive, wait for it's icons to appear.
then click on "BEGIN GAME!" and play! finally! oh crikey! this was a huge journey up to this point!
even so i still get crash followed by guru meditation when quitting the game but that's subsidairy.
reboot of emulated amigaos 3.9 takes just one second, literally. FINALLY CAN PLAY with ALL COMFORT!
Old 15 October 2020, 15:31   #14
Fiery Phoenix

Thought I would bump this one rather than start a new thread as I am having the same problem with the CD music in WinUAE emulation

I can install the game fine, can get it to run using a graphics card (although 24 bit never comes up, only 8 bit???) can get it run with sound fx using the AHI drivers, etc.

However when it comes to playing the CD music - nothing. Seems a common problem but it's like a scratch I have to itch! Literally tried loads of things before posing here.

Obviously downloaded the GS Add on's with the CDDA - tried running CDLibs first to state it will run from the CD (tried not selecting this also) After running CDDA I then attach the .bin file (also made an ISO to try - ensuring the music files are there of course!) into the CD Drive in emulation.

In CDDA I have tried selecting uaescsi.device, AHI.device and CD.device before selecting start game - no joy. Changed drive type from drive / HD Controller from IDE to SCSI - no joy

When CD.device is selected there is an RTG Requester error stating no screen modes available - game still starts (without CD music) but in AGA mode

Tried changing WinUAE sound settings from Paula to CD (and AHI)

Booted game with ISO in drive and put the GS Add On's in DFO: so when it boots it comes staright to to the Genetic Species CDDA Prefs screen asking to choose device name and unit number for CD Audio playback - no joy (failed returncode 10)

When CD.device is selected there is an RTG Requester error stating no screen modes

In short tied pretty much everything. Maybe I am missing something really simple that you guys can point out??
Old 15 October 2020, 16:35   #15
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
After running CDDA I then attach the .bin file (also made an ISO to try - ensuring the music files are there of course!) into the CD Drive in emulation.
Mount the index file for audio tracks (.cue or .ccd) instead of .bin or .iso.
Old 15 October 2020, 23:53   #16
Fiery Phoenix

Thanks for the reply

Gave it a go and no luck - unless I am doing something wrong

Started WinUAE with a Workbench HDF to boot up in DF0

Genetic Species directory added for DF1

Boots up fine - click on Genetic Species icon

Click on CDDA (choose device name for audio) uaescsi.device already populated here

Press begin game and RTG screenmode comes up

Loads fine - no CD music

Try again, but after I press CDDA, I press F12 and go into CD drive / image and attach the .cue file and press ok (I don't add any CD drives) works ok as another Genetics icon appears alongside a CD-DA icon (music tracks I am guessing)

I press begin game, RTG settings - game loads. Confirm CD music on under config - but nothing

Again, tried changing from Paula to CD under WinUAE sound settings - not sure If need to do - but again, no change

When I go back to Workbench screen and select CDDA again, a CDDA.prefs unknown command error appears - stays even after ejecting the CD. So re-booted and tried again, but added an SCSI drive this time, game loads as normal - no CD music again
Old 16 October 2020, 14:17   #17
DamienD
Banned

Just as an FYI...

If you want a glitch free intro, then look at this thread: [AmigaCD] Genetic Species - Intro Fixed!!!
Old 16 October 2020, 16:16   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the reply

Gave it a go and no luck - unless I am doing something wrong

Started WinUAE with a Workbench HDF to boot up in DF0

Genetic Species directory added for DF1

Boots up fine - click on Genetic Species icon

Click on CDDA (choose device name for audio) uaescsi.device already populated here

Press begin game and RTG screenmode comes up

Loads fine - no CD music

Try again, but after I press CDDA, I press F12 and go into CD drive / image and attach the .cue file and press ok (I don't add any CD drives) works ok as another Genetics icon appears alongside a CD-DA icon (music tracks I am guessing)

I press begin game, RTG settings - game loads. Confirm CD music on under config - but nothing

Again, tried changing from Paula to CD under WinUAE sound settings - not sure If need to do - but again, no change

When I go back to Workbench screen and select CDDA again, a CDDA.prefs unknown command error appears - stays even after ejecting the CD. So re-booted and tried again, but added an SCSI drive this time, game loads as normal - no CD music again
Just tested "CD Music" and all is working fine here

Here's what you need to do:
  • Download the GENETIC SPECIES V4605 Engine Update.
  • Load your .HDF, mount the image under "CD & Hard drives", and tick "CDFS automount CD/DVD drives".
  • Extract the GENETIC SPECIES V4605 Engine Update somewhere and then go into that folder.
  • Double-click on "CDDA", tick "Show All Devices", select "uaescsi.device" and click "BEGIN GAME!".
  • Select your resolution and leave the default AHI settings.
  • Once the game loads, select "Config Settings" --> "Misc Settings" and turn "CD Music On".
Old 16 October 2020, 20:33   #19
Fiery Phoenix

Coolio will get this tried on Sunday fella.

Saw the YouTube clips with the music on and also played the MP3's, they sounded really good. As HOL stated, Vangelis like, shades of Bladerunner
Old 16 October 2020, 22:06   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Coolio will get this tried on Sunday fella.

Saw the YouTube clips with the music on and also played the MP3's, they sounded really good. As HOL stated, Vangelis like, shades of Bladerunner
Yup, when listening today my first thought was "very Blade Runner"

The only problem is; that someone else mentioned, is that once a track finishes it doesn't repeat... you then have silence