English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 18 April 2016, 11:27   #1
Sim085

Can I find what ASM has executed so far?

Hello, is there a way how to see what ASM is being executed (or the last ASM commands executed before current point? from WinUAE or other?
Old 18 April 2016, 13:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If any breakpoint is active (f <something>), UAE debugger H-command will list last (up to 500) executed commands. HH does same but also includes all registers.
Old 18 April 2016, 14:46   #3
Sim085

Yes but you need to know the address to add the breakpoints (f <address>). I do not know the address in memory

I was hoping I could run the program till the part I am interested in and see what commands are being executed so I can then find these in the program ASM file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If any breakpoint is active (f <something>), UAE debugger H-command will list last (up to 500) executed commands. HH does same but also includes all registers.
Old 18 April 2016, 14:49   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
Yes but you need to know the address to add the breakpoints (f <address>). I do not know the address in memory
Address does not matter. Even "f 0" works in this case. Breakpoint is only needed to enable execution history.
Old 18 April 2016, 15:35   #5
Sim085

I am not home at the moment so cannot try this out. Correct me if I am wrong. So I can launch Workbench from WinUAE, press Shift+F12, enter command "f 1", enter "xx" to go back Workbench, run the program and when I arrive to the where I am interested in I Shift+F12 again and enter "H"?

Quote:
Address does not matter. Even "f 0" works in this case. Breakpoint is only needed to enable execution history.
Old 18 April 2016, 18:40   #6
Sim085

When I do these steps all I get is the following line repeated for 10 times.

-1 00F81476 60e6 BT .B #$ffffffe7 == $00f8146e (T)

Quote:
I am not home at the moment so cannot try this out. Correct me if I am wrong. So I can launch Workbench from WinUAE, press Shift+F12, enter command "f 1", enter "xx" to go back Workbench, run the program and when I arrive to the where I am interested in I Shift+F12 again and enter "H"?
Old 18 April 2016, 19:43   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

JIT enabled? (Many debugger options don't work with JIT).
Old 18 April 2016, 21:06   #8
Sim085

No do not have JIT enabled.

Quote:
JIT enabled? (Many debugger options don't work with JIT).
Old 18 April 2016, 22:19   #9
Sim085

Sometimes I get what looks like valid assembly (i.e. - different commands one after the other). However when I look for these commands in the assembly file I have I don't find any of these.

Quote:
No do not have JIT enabled.
Old 19 April 2016, 10:31   #10
Sim085

I spent hours on this yesterday but can't really understand what is going on. So I have the assembly of the app I am interested in by using ReSource.

There is a lot of assembly and I am only interested in one area. So my idea was to run the app until that part I want to modify, see what assembly was being executed, find that assembly sequence in the assembly I have through ReSource, understand it, modify it, re-assemble.

However I cannot find any assembly I get from WinUAE debuger

Could it be I am getting assembly from another program running at the same time? For example, one assembly line belongs to the app and the next from another program and then again from app, etc etc?
Old 19 April 2016, 10:38   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

If you are running with the system enabled, you could see code from the system. Also, if the source data are compressed on the disk, you need to decrunch it before you will be able to compare it with what you find in memory.
Old 19 April 2016, 11:34   #12
Sim085

How do I run without system enabled? Run from adf's instead of workbench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If you are running with the system enabled, you could see code from the system. Also, if the source data are compressed on the disk, you need to decrunch it before you will be able to compare it with what you find in memory.
Old 19 April 2016, 12:12   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

STOP-command may confuse it. Better boot some game or demo that takes over the system and use it to learn how it works.

If you want to trace your own program, usually best way is to put some illegal memory access and use memwatch points. For example put clr.w $100 in your code and add memwatch point with debugger command "w 0 100 2 w" (memwatch point index zero, watch addresses from $100 to $100+2, CPU writes only).
Old 19 April 2016, 12:37   #14
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
How do I run without system enabled? Run from adf's instead of workbench?
That is controlled by the software you are running. Earlier commercial games and demos that boot from floppy usually turn off the system. If you can drag down the screen and reveal WB behind it (like DPaint, DOpus etc), then it is surely system friendly and you can't change that. If it can be started from WB that is an indication that it is system friendly, although it may not always be the case (WHDLoad turns off the system for example).
Old 19 April 2016, 14:36   #15
Sim085

mmm... have to find how to add a new command from ReSource. So far I have only managed to edit existing commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
For example put clr.w $100 in your code and add memwatch point with debugger command "w 0 100 2 w"

So for a game if it would be easier if doing debugging while running in WHDload?

Quote:
(WHDLoad turns off the system for example).
Old 19 April 2016, 14:42   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
So for a game if it would be easier if doing debugging while running in WHDload?
But then you'll be looking at the WHDLoad version of the software you're interested in. It may be similar to a floppy version, but it could also be changed in many ways to remove copy protection, create trainers, modify keyboard/joy/mouse handler or to allow for relocation of code to other memory addresses, i.e. to move stuff to fastmem which may have been originally hardcoded to run in chip.

Edit: But I don't know what your goal is - if you just want to make some changes and see it working, then starting out with a WHDLoad version is probably easier than dealing with a floppy version with a custom loader where files may be compressed in some way.
Old 19 April 2016, 15:22   #17
Sim085

Spot on I am mostly learning at this stage. Not planning to do anything fruitful any time soon. I want to get familiar with the tools.

Quote:
Edit: But I don't know what your goal is - if you just want to make some changes and see it working
Old 19 April 2016, 15:25   #18
emufan

from my point of understanding, Sim085 is looking for somthing like gdb, from the gnu compiler package.
I for myself never managed to get some usefull results from winuae debugger - not a judgement - just my limitations.
but i think gdb, or some kind of program-only-debugger would give better result.
a tutorial you can find on os4coding - at least worth a look.
#1) I'm not sure, gdb will work with prgram files without source code - need to test this by myself