Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 January 2009, 15:01   #21
JACK98

i had used hd disks on my old A600 before,and they worked fine oddly enough
Old 07 January 2009, 15:10   #22
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
xpect, that's folklore. The real reasons why HD is unreliable is found via google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
i had used hd disks on my old A600 before,and they worked fine oddly enough

I was trying to say that reading HD formatted media is impossible on DD drives. I've misunderstood that Jack was trying to use HD floppy, formatted as DD 880k disks, in this way it works without any problem.
Old 07 January 2009, 18:21   #23
JACK98

do you guys still use floppys when playing games?
Old 07 January 2009, 19:33   #24
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Some wanna, read this .
Old 07 January 2009, 19:42   #25
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Yes! Through ADF's on WinUAE
Old 07 January 2009, 20:23   #26
JACK98

i would use whdload except haven't got clue how to use it.let alone I'm waiting on my cf to come in post so i can transport it to the amiga then.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:12.
Old 10 January 2009, 23:57   #27
pubzombie

just got a boxed copy of uridium2. disk 2 looks clean but when i hold it upto the light bulb and hold the slide open i cant see through the disk material. i can with disk 1, a clear red image of the light bulb. is this contamination or were disks made of differing density?
pz
Old 11 January 2009, 00:06   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
just got a boxed copy of uridium2. disk 2 looks clean but when i hold it upto the light bulb and hold the slide open i cant see through the disk material. i can with disk 1, a clear red image of the light bulb. is this contamination or were disks made of differing density?
pz
Hi PZ,

Are you serious?

What happens when you try the disks in the floppy drive? I reckon this should be OK as the disks are clean.
Old 11 January 2009, 00:17   #29
pubzombie

yes sorry i am serious and a little paranoid, i killed my original 500 drive when i was a kid some how with a disk that looked clean. didnt think it was the floppy as it looked ok so put it in my external drive an it killed that also - never found out what it was but then again i was more interested in the girl next door at the time and my miggy got left to rot.
Old 11 January 2009, 00:23   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

Can you spin the disk in its case by rotating the metal centre with your thumb? And does the shutter open and snap shut OK?

I would say that if the answer is yes in both cases, then it should be OK to dry the disk in the floppy drive without 'killing' it.
Old 11 January 2009, 01:26   #31
JACK98

Think best way as suggested was-open the shutter,and with ur finger underneath the floppy.spin the metal part around with your finger.And check for any dirty/fungi.that's what i would do anyway.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:11.
Old 11 January 2009, 01:28   #32
JACK98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
yes sorry i am serious and a little paranoid, i killed my original 500 drive when i was a kid some how with a disk that looked clean. didnt think it was the floppy as it looked ok so put it in my external drive an it killed that also - never found out what it was but then again i was more interested in the girl next door at the time and my miggy got left to rot.
Drive heads could had just been covered in shit from floppy.happened me before.lucky i had a disk cleaner nearby and brought my amiga back to life.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:10.
Old 11 January 2009, 11:28   #33
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I tried to rescue an archive of 5.25'' (from '86-'91) floppies under DOS a year ago. About 50% were mostly ok. Those were the expensive ones. With the noname stuff, I was happy when it still contained the FAT (filenames, structure), so that I could tell what was lost. Some made screeching noises and some didn't rotate at all.
I opened the drive's chassis in order to see what was going on, and I had to clean the magnetic head with alcohol several times.
The drive still works after this often unpleasant procedure.

If you can extrapolate this to 3.5'': With good quality (originals, brands) and a bit of caution you are relatively safe. Forget about the rest.

Maybe you can give it a test run in an inexpensive PC floppy drive? If it doesn't get damaged, then the Amiga's drive will probably survive, too.
Old 11 January 2009, 15:34   #34
JACK98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
I tried to rescue an archive of 5.25'' (from '86-'91) floppies under DOS a year ago. About 50% were mostly ok. Those were the expensive ones. With the noname stuff, I was happy when it still contained the FAT (filenames, structure), so that I could tell what was lost. Some made screeching noises and some didn't rotate at all.
I opened the drive's chassis in order to see what was going on, and I had to clean the magnetic head with alcohol several times.
The drive still works after this often unpleasant procedure.

If you can extrapolate this to 3.5'': With good quality (originals, brands) and a bit of caution you are relatively safe. Forget about the rest.

Maybe you can give it a test run in an inexpensive PC floppy drive? If it doesn't get damaged, then the Amiga's drive will probably survive, too.
Are they files you could find on net?.i had some floppies too.had throw them out do cause floppies had fungi inside.luckily i was able to get the files off the net.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:10.
Old 11 January 2009, 21:16   #35
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I found some of them, Zaxxon for example. Yet most of it was uninteresting or completely gone. I did this for a relative of mine, and I could rescue some of his serious stuff, though.

The problem wasn't fungus, as far as I can tell. It seems rather to be dust, nicotine and a strange aging process in the materials, that somehow made them bake together.

I hope my Amiga floppies are in a better shape. At least I know for sure they were treated with respect.
Old 11 January 2009, 21:18   #36
JACK98

Don't know what going to do the day wont be able to get floppies.i even wonder were does amigakit get his floppies from.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:09.
Old 11 January 2009, 23:20   #37
pubzombie

i was listening to a radio program not so long ago about historical archives. Apparently no data is safe. magnetic data degrades relatively easily whether the tapes or disks are high quality or not. according to the programme even cd's and dvd's will degrade with time; nothing will last as long as the good old pen and paper - allegedly.
Old 11 January 2009, 23:22   #38
JACK98

yup its true.since cd-r's,dvd'rs and cds themselves are only around recently no one knows their life expectancy.it's the elements too.probably explains how they filter air and moderate temperatures in museums/galleries.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:09.
Old 11 January 2009, 23:53   #39
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Standard (pressed) CD-Roms can last ~50 years. CD-R have the problem of an aging recording layer and oxidation of the silver reflector layer (~5 years). CD-RWs are slightly better due to better gluing. CD-RAM are best for private digital data (~30 years)

If you're interested, google for digital dark age and digital preservation. Wikipedia gives a good intro. That's another interesting aspect of emulators. (see http://www.planets-project.eu/)

EDIT: Microfilm is quite good.