English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 25 November 2009, 09:24   #21
klapdeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
I'm desgusted i just tried to test my a4000 and after i have installed the wb3.9, it reboots and after black screen, the disk drive and hd made no more noise my monitor told me check connection (something like that) and no sign of life from the motherboard.
I tried to find the problem but i think he 's just dead, peace for his soul, he is going to go near his creator, his father, farewell amiga 4000.
I think i have to change my signature: "the amiga will never die!".
Hi Turrican3 i dont know if you still have the A4000
but i had the same last week, its back alive agian by switching the cpu board.

now its run stable again.

So if you still have try to get another cpu card.

Gr
kl
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 March 2014, 13:42   #22
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapdeur View Post
Hi Turrican3 i dont know if you still have the A4000
but i had the same last week, its back alive agian by switching the cpu board.

now its run stable again.

So if you still have try to get another cpu card.

Gr
kl
i tried with an other cpu card but still dead !!!!
I think i will contact amigakit or if someone want to give it a try i'm open to the idea.I thought to sell it but i change my mind, i miss the real thing.

Last edited by turrican3; 18 March 2014 at 13:48.
Old 18 March 2014, 16:20   #23
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
I'm desgusted i just tried to test my a4000 and after i have installed the wb3.9, it reboots and after black screen, the disk drive and hd made no more noise my monitor told me check connection (something like that) and no sign of life from the motherboard.
I tried to find the problem but i think he 's just dead, peace for his soul, he is going to go near his creator, his father, farewell amiga 4000.
I think i have to change my signature: "the amiga will never die!".
A couple of years ago I ran into a similar situation with not one, but two A4000's.

I had bought an A4000 from a user here and one from eBay. When I got them both, I booted them to confirm that they worked (the one from eBay was sold with a "bad floppy") and both booted successfully. I didn't have any time to work with them beyond that brief test, so I disconnected them, put them in a corner of my office and let them sit for a while.

A couple of months later or so, I finally got around to working with them, so I connected the one I got from here, and it would not start up. Just black screen. I did everything I could to troubleshoot it, and then finally disassembled the machine. I found a dime-sized burn mark on the bottom of the board, hot enough to melt the plastic insulation that sits between the motherboard and case. Dead A4000 #1.

Then I connected up the other A4000 with the "bad floppy" and got a red screen or something like that...I don't remember real well, but it also failed to start up. Disassembled this machine and found a burn mark on the A3640. All was not lost, I thought, I'd just bring the A3640 over from A4000 #1 and then I could replace the floppy and still have one decent machine. Fortunately, after swapping out the A3640, the machine booted. Unfortunately, I swapped out the "dead" HD floppy (LED would turn on, but it would not read the disk) with a known good one and the same thing happened. I tried plugging in a known-good external floppy and the same thing happened there as well. Floppy controller FUBAR'ed. (Effectively) Dead A4000 #2.

Ended up disassembling both machines down to the bare metal case and parted them all back out.
Old 19 March 2014, 08:29   #24
dirkies
Zone Friend

2 times I saw my A4000 desktop don't just nothing as you describe were:
A) installing kickstart 3.1 40.70. Did not work, was for tower version only. So Black screen had to do with ide port.
B) installing cyberstorm2 060 cpu board. Did not work as I had no 50mhz oscillator on mobo. Had to solder one on it and then cpu board worked! So could be a timing issue aswell.
AdSense AdSense