English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 April 2008, 20:36   #1
SkippyAR

Miami DX Dilemma

Hiya folks,

I'm using Miami DX as the TCP/IP stack on my a1200, so I can browse
the internet through a router and also to network a Windows XP box for filesharing, AExplorer etc via a 3com 3c589D-Combo (3c589d.device)

The problem I seem to have is:

If the a1200 is connected directly to the cable modem, and Miami DX is
configured to DHCP all works fine, but it means I can't have a local area
network, obviously.

However, if I connect the a1200, and WinXP to the router, then to the cable modem box, I find that I end up having 2 interface profiles in
Miami DX. 1) DHCP for internet and 2) Static Config for local area networking. (Only allowing one online to the 3c589d.device at a time.)

I can't seem to amalgamate the two into one profile. Miami DX seems to get all upset, then I get upset and start having tantrums.

Could it be that my ISP only allows one MAC address too, hmmm. Is this
part of my problem.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Skippy.

Old 24 April 2008, 20:41   #2
kriz

If only one mac is allowed it can surely be the problem..

What about sharing the connection from the windows xp machine ?
Old 24 April 2008, 21:15   #3
thomas

Quote:
However, if I connect the a1200, and WinXP to the router, then to the cable modem box, I find that I end up having 2 interface profiles in
Miami DX. 1) DHCP for internet and 2) Static Config for local area networking.
I don't see the reason why you would need two interfaces when connected to the router. Especially that "DHCP for internet" is nonsense. When you are connected to the router you cannot access the internet directly. All accesses go through the router. If you enable DHCP you get a dynamic (LAN) address frrom the router, but you can still not directly access the internet. If you call an internet address, the Amiga sends the request to the router and the router routes it into the internet. The router hides your computers from the internet. You build a LAN with all your computers with one interface and one IP address each. The router manages all internet accesses automatically. The router is the only machine in your network which has two IP addresses: one public for internet and one private for LAN.

You can choose whether you use static IP addresses or DHCP for your Amiga's one LAN interface. Both will work. But you cannot have direct and indirect internet access at the same time.
Old 25 April 2008, 13:45   #4
SkippyAR

@Kriz: I think it must only have one MAC address. I used to Proxy from XP to the Amiga before.

@Thomas, everything you mentioned is the problem, this is what I am trying to achieve. x2 Seperate computers, one LAN, one router, one internet connection.

I've got Samba to apply next too, whah!

Skippy.