English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 21 January 2017, 15:28   #1
chocsplease

[Solved] Amiga explorer wont recognise a USB to serial adaptor on com 3:

Hi

The title kind of says it really. I have installed Amiga explorer on a windows 10 laptop which does not have a com: port. I've plugged a USB to serial adaptor in and this has been recognised as com3: in device manager.

However when I try to configure Amiga explorer to use serial it only gives the option of tcpip in the drop down. Try as I might I cannot get it to recognise the USB to serial adaptor on com3

Can anyone suggest how to get around this? Are there any switches I can use to force Amiga explorer into serial mode?

Thanks in advance.

<edit>

OK I've managed to solve this, though I am not quite sure why.

It appears that I have to run Amiga Explorer in an Admin account in order for it to pick up the USB to serial com3. Doing this now sets the communication option to just com3 (you cannot select tcpip).

I have no idea why this should be but leave this post just in case someone has a similar problem in future.

System:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name <redacted>
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model SATELLITE L50-B
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Type1Sku0
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Last edited by chocsplease; 21 January 2017 at 21:18.
Old 30 January 2017, 01:28   #2
ancalimon
Supernormal

When it does not work, start as admin. You never know what windows has in mind
Old 13 February 2017, 10:38   #3
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

From memory : COM1 shared with COM3, and COM2 shared with COM4..

Not sure if these issue still exists today. or PCI eliminated them.
Old 21 June 2017, 05:57   #4
jlin_au

Try
1) rebooting your laptop with the USB to serial adapter still inserted see if amiga explorer can see the device COM port after the reboot.
2) selecting the usb to serial device in Windows 10's device manager and change the assigned com port from COM3 to COM1, 2, 4, or even COM5 and see if amiga explorer can now see the device's new com port.
If the above fails then the issue is probably with your version of Amiga Explorer looking for the physical COM port hardware instead of the virtual COM port created by the USB to serial interface Windows 10 driver. Try installing the latest version of Amiga Explorer.

See http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ to download latest Amiga Explorer; make sure that
a) you download the 32 bit or 64 bit version to match your Windows 10 32 bit or 64 bit version (see http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/14-109 ).
b) you only install Amiga Explorer via a Windows 10 administrator account.

The license key to use for the new install is either your current key for Amiga Forever or your separate Amiga Explorer key.

Last edited by jlin_au; 21 June 2017 at 06:10. Reason: Additional info