English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 March 2005, 13:32   #1
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Street Rod 3 (Retro remake or sequel)

I read rumors about this remake/sequel a while back in a local PC mag but never bothered to check back on its progress. Well an alpha version is out and although it's far from complete it is at a playable stage and available at the following link:

http://www.streetrod3.com/

It doesn’t take very long to complete with only 2 cars and limited parts, but you can see it is staying very true to the original with upgraded if yet unfinished 3D graphics. Playability wise it's looking very good but the performance options don't seem to make much difference to the cars speed, so far only the racing shocks seem to make any difference at all.

So all you Street Rod fans check it out.

edit: more cars and parts available on the downloads page.

Last edited by T_hairy_bootson; 01 March 2005 at 13:45.
Old 01 March 2005, 16:07   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

yeah the only problem is that the developer(s?) doesn't have the time to continue the project, so it's been sitting still for the past year or so. I read about plans to open source the project, but don't know the status.
Old 01 March 2005, 16:18   #3
Amiga1992

They should open source it so it can be continued, i dont understand this,. if you run out of time to dedicate to it, let it go and be continued!
Old 02 March 2005, 09:27   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

No I can understand it. When I start a project I would also hate to let it go so other people work on it and it turns out completely different as you had planned. Compare it to the love a mother has for her child, and you are still no way near what a developer feels for his own creations
Old 02 March 2005, 12:33   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Apparently the devs used some commercial software to create parts of it and they can't release it as open source until these parts have been replaced with C or C++ code.

They are asking for people to help with this process though. So hopefully one day.
:'(
Old 02 March 2005, 19:19   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
No I can understand it. When I start a project I would also hate to let it go so other people work on it and it turns out completely different as you had planned.
This is if you COMPLETELY let it go. You can remain as project manager and hav an eye over everything and make sure it goes in the right way.
Old 03 March 2005, 13:02   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Personally, I don't think this project is going to be finished. The graphics are still pretty dull with no signs of improvement and it pains me to say that this is the only thing that interests people today. Gameplay comes second every time (just start up the average game released by Electronic Arts) which was completely the other way around in the golden Commodore age where games were still 100% pure enjoyment.

Only oldskool gamers like us will support these kind of projects, and we are a big minority