English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 October 2009, 21:09   #1
Muzer

Making LHA archives that the Amiga can read?

Is there a way to get modern versions of lha (running on Linux for instance) to generate archives that the Amiga can read? It tells me it's an unsupported compression format when I try to extract it (it can get as far as listing the archive and unpacking directories but it can't unpack any files).
Old 01 October 2009, 21:13   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Muzer,

AFAIK, you will need to find the command line option to restrict the compression method to the range lh0 -> lh5, so that the archives will decompress properly on the Amiga.
Old 02 October 2009, 05:38   #3
Photon

If you don't think it's a bother, you could also compress them within an Amiga emulator. That's what I do to make sure any archive coming out of an Amiga is 100% compatible.

Does WinRar compress or only decompress rar? Was wondering if there was a port for linux that had the same option prowler mentioned.
Old 02 October 2009, 06:00   #4
vk3heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzer View Post
Is there a way to get modern versions of lha (running on Linux for instance) to generate archives that the Amiga can read? It tells me it's an unsupported compression format when I try to extract it (it can get as far as listing the archive and unpacking directories but it can't unpack any files).
lha ao5

is the command...

This will limit the compression type/header to what the amiga can handle.
Old 02 October 2009, 16:58   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
On Windows, you could use ancient LZH to create .LZH, then simply rename it to .LHA.

Most people do not know it: it's the very same!

If you don't believe it, try to rename an Amiga .lha to .lzh and try to unpack it via the LZH command-line tool on Windows DOS console - it works!
When WinRAR unpacks .lha, it uses its .lzh routines internally, too!

(that's what I did here: since WinRAR doesn't handle .lha "officially", I associated the .lha extension manually with WinRAR - works a treat! )

Last edited by andreas; 02 October 2009 at 17:40.
Old 02 October 2009, 17:14   #6
thomas

Quote:
Most people do not know it
Don't judge others by your own standards.
Old 02 October 2009, 17:38   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Who cares? Uh-ah, ok, you, granted. But the most important thing is that it's technically correct what I wrote, I guess!!
Old 02 October 2009, 20:26   #8
Muzer

Quote:
AFAIK, you will need to find the command line option to restrict the compression method to the range lh0 -> lh5, so that the archives will decompress properly on the Amiga.
Thanks

Quote:
Does WinRar compress or only decompress rar? Was wondering if there was a port for linux that had the same option prowler mentioned.
There is a rar program but I don't have it installed. The Linux rar program isn't too great either.

Quote:
lha ao5
Thanks, I'll try that